Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today's ranch project

I had to go into town to get some stuff, any idea on wiring this back up? @Welder

Name:  7F97E202-BEC9-4172-821D-84155560410B.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  74.5 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Customer service number is right there on the side.
    I wouldn't call it, Pacific Equipment sounds like a rental place, could be quite a bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I wouldn't call it, Pacific Equipment sounds like a rental place, could be quite a bill.
    They're a distributor and ODM (Pacific Power Group). They will know what they're talking about.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I had to go into town to get some stuff, any idea on wiring this back up? @Welder

Name:  7F97E202-BEC9-4172-821D-84155560410B.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  74.5 KB
    Hey LL, apologize for the late reply, doing some night work these days.

I'm guessing that's a NEMA L14-30R (the R means receptacle). If you're lucky it'll say something on it like 14-30 to verify my guess. Or something else to tell you that I'm a nincompoop. That receptacle is for single-phase 240V wiring, it's good for 30 amps, and it's obviously a twist-lock. It's a pretty common receptacle. It should have two hot wires, a ground, and a neutral going to it. I think you'll find the diagram online with what the wire colors *should* be.

ETA I'm a little slow, it's been a long day. You just bought that receptacle, you know what it is, duh. Did you take a picture of the original receptacle wiring or was it already apart before you got to it? An electrician on here might be a little more help, I'm at the very edge of my lane on stuff like this. If it were mine, I'd be tracing wires back and trying to identify my ground and my neutral. I'm relatively certain that the two hots are interchangeable, they are both going to be 120V, creating a 240V outlet.

PS - It'll be easier to read that electrical panel when you unbolt it and turn it right side up.
    Last edited by Welder; 03-30-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    They're a distributor and ODM (Pacific Power Group). They will know what they're talking about.
    Okay, please understand that I'm pretty much an ass and often make unfunny jokes which miss the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Okay, please understand that I'm pretty much an ass and often make unfunny jokes which miss the audience.
    I got the joke (though I'm not sure I'm in the audience) but decided to let my power generation nerd shine. Give me a stage, I'm going to dazzle.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’m a hack as well, but here is a link that discusses all the various 240v receptacles and how to wire them:

http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-w...t-outlets.html
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

The two black wires go to the brass colored screw the white wire should go to a silver screw and a ground to the green screw.
    Two long slots black wire, one short slot white and the last slot with the L gets the ground.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List