Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Bow hunting

RFI: Bow hunting

Gun season in my home state is very limited, so I’m stepping into bows this year. I just took my first lesson at a local shop, and am going to go with a compound bow. I want to buy through them so I’ll be limited to PSE, Mission, or Matthews. The owner recommended a PSE stinger package that comes with everything I’d need except arrows and a release.

I’m just interested in hunting here and don’t see this hobby turning into anything more than that. I’m looking for the Glock 17 of bows. Don’t need a Les Baer, but don’t want to settle for a Taurus. I asked what I’d be paying for with a more expensive bow vs the Stinger, and didn’t really get much of an answer. Within reason, money isn’t the limiting factor here. I’d much rather buy a $1000 bow now, than a $500 bow now and a $1000 bow in 6 months. But, if the $500 bow is really all I need, then cool.

Can anyone weigh in here? Sticking to PSE, Mission, and Matthews for someone like me who just wants this to bow hunt mostly out of a tree stand what’s a good way to go?

PSE Bow Madness has served me well. (Or rather DID serve me well.....BEFORE I got my shoulder rebuilt).

I was out the door with mine for $500, with a dozen arrows, and field points. Figure $40-50 full retail for a 3 pack of quality broadheads. (Buy them fuckers at WalMart in Jan/Feb for $15 a pack).

I’ve since dropped $1000 on another PSE, $1200 on a BowTech, and $300 for the kid’s PSE Mini Burner. The other PSE got sold for a loss, and the BowTech sits unfired/unused. My Bow Madness is minute of whitetail out to 35 yards, which is my max range. With more practice and dedication I’m sure I could extend that to 40 or 45. Maybe 50......maybe. Reality is that the majority of archery harvests on our farm are inside 20 yards.

You can spend a lot of money on a bow and accessories, and the die hard archery dudes do. Year in, and year out. I know plenty of guys who use a bow for a year, maybe two......then sell it for a loss, and buy the latest and greatest offering from their preferred brand. So, you CAN spend a ton of cash.

But you don’t need to. A $500 bow can be a very high quality bow, and provide you years and years of reliable service if you take care of it. A better than average sight can run you from $200 up to $750 or more. A quality release will easily lighten your wallet at least one bill.......mine was closer to two bills. But for $750 you can put together a very nice, top quality package with arrows, field tips, broadheads, a target, sights, and release. For $1000 you can do the same thing, and not shoot any better.

In this case especially, it truly is the Indian, not the arrow that makes the difference.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Gun season in my home state is very limited, so I’m stepping into bows this year. I just took my first lesson at a local shop, and am going to go with a compound bow. I want to buy through them so I’ll be limited to PSE, Mission, or Matthews. The owner recommended a PSE stinger package that comes with everything I’d need except arrows and a release.

I’m just interested in hunting here and don’t see this hobby turning into anything more than that. I’m looking for the Glock 17 of bows. Don’t need a Les Baer, but don’t want to settle for a Taurus. I asked what I’d be paying for with a more expensive bow vs the Stinger, and didn’t really get much of an answer. Within reason, money isn’t the limiting factor here. I’d much rather buy a $1000 bow now, than a $500 bow now and a $1000 bow in 6 months. But, if the $500 bow is really all I need, then cool.

Can anyone weigh in here? Sticking to PSE, Mission, and Matthews for someone like me who just wants this to bow hunt mostly out of a tree stand what’s a good way to go?
    You’ll enjoy archery, so the hobby aspect is something to consider seriously. You can shoot year round, there are competitive games and it’s a fun, social sport at times.

The PSE Stinger is the Taurus you mentioned. If you want the Glock 17, go for a mainline bow. Mathews is solid, but expensive. I would look at the EVO NXT line in PSE. Good tech, little less pricey than a Mathews, adjustable and competent bows. Bows, unlike guns, are always cha going so the used market is thriving. Finding a top end used bow 1-2yrs old saves a lot of money you can reinvest into areas.

In making this choice, as a new shooter, you don’t know what you don’t know yet, but good mid to high end components are going to serve you better as you become a competent archer.

For example, if you treestand Hunt and your sight does not have a third axis, you’ll miss at extreme bow angles. Things like micro adjust sights and rests don’t come in kits like the Stinger.

Fit is critical too. How tall are you?

My bow, a 2019 model I bought as new in 2020 for a reduced cost, with a top tier sight that is 6+ years old. Everything attached to the bow is transferable between bows and micro-adjustable so it can be fine tuned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    You’ll enjoy archery, so the hobby aspect is something to consider seriously. You can shoot year round, there are competitive games and it’s a fun, social sport at times.

The PSE Stinger is the Taurus you mentioned. If you want the Glock 17, go for a mainline bow. Mathews is solid, but expensive. I would look at the EVO NXT line in PSE. Good tech, little less pricey than a Mathews, adjustable and competent bows. Bows, unlike guns, are always cha going so the used market is thriving. Finding a top end used bow 1-2yrs old saves a lot of money you can reinvest into areas.

In making this choice, as a new shooter, you don’t know what you don’t know yet, but good mid to high end components are going to serve you better as you become a competent archer.

For example, if you treestand Hunt and your sight does not have a third axis, you’ll miss at extreme bow angles. Things like micro adjust sights and rests don’t come in kits like the Stinger.

Fit is critical too. How tall are you?

My bow, a 2019 model I bought as new in 2020 for a reduced cost, with a top tier sight that is 6+ years old. Everything attached to the bow is transferable between bows and micro-adjustable so it can be fine tuned.

What’s the difference between the EVO NXT or the Drive NXT?

I’m 5’9”

You’re right, I have absolutely no idea what I don’t know and a lot of what you said about sights went right over my head.

I most likely will be buying new from the pro shop here. One to support a local business, and two because I’m not a very educated consumer here so I don’t know what to avoid on the used market.

Site Supporter
    I’ve had a Mission for several years now. Killed several deer with it as well. The shop I went to actually sold me on the Mission as opposed to the twice as expensive Matthew’s (which they also sold). Mission bows are made by Matthew’s, and mine as been very high quality and very accurate. I’d also recommend a QAD arrow rest.

I’m 5’9”

You’re right, I have absolutely no idea what I don’t know and a lot of what you said about sights went right over my head.

I most likely will be buying new from the pro shop here. One to support a local business, and two because I’m not a very educated consumer here so I don’t know what to avoid on the used market.
    I think the EVO line is one level higher than the Drive. Not sure though, been shooting Elite bows for a bit.

A 32-33” axle to axle will be perfect for you.

Archery, IMO is a huge amount of fun and a huge can of worms.
    https://www.archerytalk.com/ is an awesome resource, just know that it is not moderated in the manner P-F is, so just be prepared for some opinions that are not always helpful.

One thing about archery is that the people that are trying to do it at a very high level are trying to squeeze every little angle out of it, and some of it is so far beyond where I am at some of it gets a little out there, IMO.

There is also a metric buttload of helpful stuff on YouTube that will help educate you. Some of the ones I like are:
    Average Jack Archery
    Nock On Archery
    Inside Out Precision
    and Lancaster Archery Supply is like Brownells, but they have a lot of instructional stuff.

Used stuff is a colossal bargain, but you need to know some stuff before you can dip your toe in the water. Main thing you have to know is your actual draw length, and it is hard to really know without doing (mine seems to keep shrinking...).

I’m 5’9”

Did some research, I was wrong on the Drive - it is part of the Pro line. https://psearchery.com/pro-series-hunting-bows/

Lots of good offerings in the 31-33” axle to axle. The nice things about PSE is they offer a lot of limb bolt turns, so you can get a 70lb bow to 60lbs, or a 60 to 50.

If you have a good local bow shop, it is worth its weight in gold. I love my local shop, good people, fun leagues. Great place to go shoot bows.

Lots of good info here.

I strictly bow hunt and also enjoy shooting whenever I can.

First find a good pro shop, that is involved in the archery community(lessons, competitions, supporting hunting community,etc) that has a good reputation.

People get super brand loyal and ridiculous like the gun industry too. Ignore all that and shoot a Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech. One or two of them you will prefer.

I would honestly look at a used bow that’s a year or two old. Like mentioned the bow community is full of guys who every year have to have the newest bow. Good deals can be had at a pro shop especially if you are new to archery.
    Your going to spend about the same amount or more on setting up the bow(sights,rest,release, arrows,etc) then the bow.

Honestly don’t over think it and get in the weeds with everything. If you end up enjoying archery that stuff will naturally come.

Also people have been killing stuff with bows for who knows how long. You put a arrow through the vitals of an animal the results are all the same. The best bow hunters I have known when I was growing up and getting into it were the guys that had older bows without all the latest and greatest but they put in the time.

A lot of parallels with the gun community.

Are crossbows legal for archery season where you are?

I picked up a Wicked Ridge crossbow last Black Friday to expand my hunting seasons and try to start getting back in the field.

I shot a compound growing up and into college but unless I could get my wife into it I didn’t feel like I could put enough time into it to feel ethical. The crossbow let me cheat and feel comfortable taking a reasonable shot.

If it’s truly about time in the field and not the passion of archery and the crossbow is legal it might be the answer.

User Tag List