Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Silver Eagle Group NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm not in NOVA but a friend posted something about a new indoor range / fitness club opening in Ashburn this fall. XCAL shooting sports and fitness.

https://xcal.com

They even have a child care center, common for gyms but rare for ranges....
    Interesting. I was recently at the i-fly next to there and wondered what they were building.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I like NRA for pistols because the lighting is better, but go ESS for rifles for the 100 yard range. Weekday wait times at ESS seem generally shorter than NRA. I visited SG once long ago and didn't like the vibe. Also, not fond of ranges that rent guns; too much ignorant behavior.
    NRA is the gold standard for indoor range lighting. I was very surprised that Elite didn't meet the same standard, and it is the one component where they come up short by comparison. But it is a significant one.

My biggest complaint about the old SEG was the poor lighting.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Elite is the gold standard for being fifteen minutes from my house
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I've been going to SEG for a decade. It's also where I take private lesson students. Both old and new locations. Outstanding HVAC system, mediocre lighting (no better or worse than most ranges), good target system, friendly staff and effective General Manager, permissive environment for holster work and other "advanced" skills, and common-sense COVID safety practices (no masking requirements on the ranges, etc.) Yeah, newbie renters are a drag but members-only days help a lot. Welcome to reach out to me directly with questions if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    I've been going to SEG for a decade. It's also where I take private lesson students. Both old and new locations. Outstanding HVAC system, mediocre lighting (no better or worse than most ranges), good target system, friendly staff and effective General Manager, permissive environment for holster work and other "advanced" skills, and common-sense COVID safety practices (no masking requirements on the ranges, etc.) Yeah, newbie renters are a drag but members-only days help a lot. Welcome to reach out to me directly with questions if you want.
    Thanks for commenting.

To clarify, there aren’t any prohibitive rules regarding drawing from holsters, split times, etc? I would like to be sure since this is an important factor for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Thanks for commenting.

To clarify, there aren’t any prohibitive rules regarding drawing from holsters, split times, etc? I would like to be sure since this is an important factor for me.
    Negative. As long as you're not blatantly failing to maintain control you can shoot as many 2 second Bill drills you want. Other range rules and standard; no steel core ammo, don't be a dick, etc.

The only time in the last few years I was "corrected" by an RSO was when I used a fairly typical, photorealistic training target. The problem was a brand new RSO who didn't understand their own policy (no photos of your favorite senator, ex-wife, etc.). Misunderstanding corrected quickly.

Vadim

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm not in NOVA but a friend posted something about a new indoor range / fitness club opening in Ashburn this fall. XCAL shooting sports and fitness.

https://xcal.com

They even have a child care center, common for gyms but rare for ranges....
    Looking forward to this. Hopefully they open in the fall as scheduled. Obvious SEG competitor considering they're 4 miles apart and offer similar services, sans full gym. They could win me over if they decide to host USPSA/IDPA matches.

Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    if they decide to host USPSA/IDPA matches.
    That was my first thought. I think they would be crazy not to.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    NRA is the gold standard for indoor range lighting. I was very surprised that Elite didn't meet the same standard, and it is the one component where they come up short by comparison. But it is a significant one.

My biggest complaint about the old SEG was the poor lighting.
    That's funny.

The lighting at the NRA range is one of the reasons I make the effort to drive past it and shoot at Elite. I don't like feeling as if I'm on a surgical table when I'm just trying to shoot a gun and have some fun. It's overly harsh and uncomfortable, not to mention generally being a cramped layout.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Update for future archive searches:

Went to check out SEG on Wednesday. Decided to sign up for membership.

Went shooting this morning. Facility is nice, staff is professional and courteous. I’m not sure how things will change after COVID but for now the appointment system has plenty of morning slots.

The lighting absolutely sucks, but that’s every indoor range I’ve experienced.

All in all it meets my practice needs perfectly and I can recommend.

Thanks to all who commented

User Tag List