Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Silver Eagle Group NOVA

RFI: Silver Eagle Group NOVA

NOVA folks- I need a new place to shoot. I know that Elite is probably the best overall option in the area but it’s nearly twice as far from me as SEG.

I’m tangentially aware of the drama and politics that surrounded SEG back in the day, but if I remember correctly SEG is under new ownership.

As NOVA people know, a 30min drive in the wrong direction can become an hour or more in the blink of an eye. Going to Elite could mean shooting once per week rather than 2-3 times.

Can anyone share their experiences with SEG?

Thanks

They run their range with such drama and BS that it’s hard to tell month to month what’s going on. Give it a try and report back.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I’m tangentially aware of the drama and politics that surrounded SEG back in the day, but if I remember correctly SEG is under new ownership.
    SEG moved locations, but I'm not sure they changed hands.

I never had any issues shooting at SEG, but I hate rental ranges. I haven't been back since they moved from the original facility. I'd be curious to hear a review.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Elite has been my default for quite a while, but it's a long haul. No recent experience with SEG, but there's NRA, too. I had avoided it for a long time after a series of visits with hour long waits, but the last time I was in there (a weekday morning, pre-Covid) it was not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Elite has been my default for quite a while, but it's a long haul. No recent experience with SEG, but there's NRA, too. I had avoided it for a long time after a series of visits with hour long waits, but the last time I was in there (a weekday morning, pre-Covid) it was not bad at all.
    I’m a weekday morning guy as well. I shot at Blue Ridge/blackfish for many years. It was far from the best facility but I don’t need much for practice sessions. I stayed there because I could be first in line before opening and get right on a lane with no wait. Pre-elite the nra range was a nightmare of waiting. There was hardly ever more than 1 or 2 other lanes in use at BR first thing in the mornings, so no RSO and the guys never bothered me for using a timer, drills from holster, speed etc I could drive there shoot my planned drills and be home in 1hr 30 min.

Like you say, things can be a haul around here. The airport really complicates traffic and movement between RT7 and the 66 corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I’m a weekday morning guy as well. I shot at Blue Ridge/blackfish for many years. It was far from the best facility but I don’t need much for practice sessions. I stayed there because I could be first in line before opening and get right on a lane with no wait. Pre-elite the nra range was a nightmare of waiting. There was hardly ever more than 1 or 2 other lanes in use at BR first thing in the mornings, so no RSO and the guys never bothered me for using a timer, drills from holster, speed etc I could drive there shoot my planned drills and be home in 1hr 30 min.

Like you say, things can be a haul around here. The airport really complicates traffic and movement between RT7 and the 66 corridor.
    I live pretty close to NRA and in the Covid era it's hit and miss (sorry!) re wait times. I'm an afternoon guy - and retired - and I've found Friday late afternoon a good time to go. Bear in mind that they're only running half the lanes. Wednesday's seem to be busy for some reason. I like NRA for pistols because the lighting is better, but go ESS for rifles for the 100 yard range. Weekday wait times at ESS seem generally shorter than NRA. I visited SG once long ago and didn't like the vibe. Also, not fond of ranges that rent guns; too much ignorant behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I live pretty close to NRA and in the Covid era it's hit and miss (sorry!) re wait times. I'm an afternoon guy - and retired - and I've found Friday late afternoon a good time to go. Bear in mind that they're only running half the lanes. Wednesday's seem to be busy for some reason. I like NRA for pistols because the lighting is better, but go ESS for rifles for the 100 yard range. Weekday wait times at ESS seem generally shorter than NRA. I visited SG once long ago and didn't like the vibe. Also, not fond of ranges that rent guns; too much ignorant behavior.
    Thanks for the info. Your lighting comment is spot on. I really hate indoor ranges all together. I lose so much ability to focus after about an hour indoors due to the conditions. someday I will get out of here and remedy that.

I agree with the comments on rental ranges as well. Another reason I look for low traffic hours. I’m anti social

Just to provide another data point - I've been going to Sharpshooters since back when they were Gilberts. That's almost 30 years. I haven't been for a couple of years because my mother's health started declining in 2015 and I have been taking care of her, then COVID hit, then she passed away. The range can get crowded, so I was going every other Friday mid-day on my RDO, or Sunday evenings if there was a football game on. The range itself is meh. A few amateurs there, or guys with dates, and it seems like there are a lot of security guards there getting a qualification taken care of. It's not climate controlled, so it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer. So why do I go there? Because they are 3 miles and 5 stoplights from my house. Their price was reasonable - roughly $240 for a year. If I went twice a month, that was $10 a visit.

Site Supporter
    I'm not in NOVA but a friend posted something about a new indoor range / fitness club opening in Ashburn this fall. XCAL shooting sports and fitness.

https://xcal.com

They even have a child care center, common for gyms but rare for ranges....

Site Supporter

User Tag List