Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a 1911 really have an advantage in "production" (or CO)?

Would a 1911 really have an advantage in "production" (or CO)?

I suspect the answer is "no" versus the tricked out guns in those two divisions. If that's the case why maintain a separate, small division? I'm more interested in steel challenge and have aged out of any opportunity to become competitive so don't really have a dog in this fight. Given that the logic of the ancients really no longer applies why hasn't the power that be just moved on beyond SS?

Tradition. JMB's gun shall always have a division of its own. It is holy writ.

I think that a 9mm 1911 would be entirely reasonable in Production. .45 maybe less so because you'd lose out on major power factor scoring and be stuck with lower capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    .45 maybe less so because you'd lose out on major power factor scoring and be stuck with lower capacity.
    Well if you're going to allow 1911's in Prod then also include the rule from SS that allows either major with 8rd mags or minor with 10rd mags.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I suspect the answer is "no" versus the tricked out guns in those two divisions.
    Sure it would have an advantage in Prod or CO. The example of recent rule changes, with people hanging extra weights on 47 oz 9 mm guns, is a good illustration that gamers will game the hell of every opportunity. Not having to pull DA trigger at all, not worrying about getting light strikes in SA because you're trying to lower your DA pull, larger range of ergonomic adjustments, easier to get trigger pull low. Personally I think 1911s cycle better than anything else. I'd run a 2011 even in Production to utilize tapered mag / wider magwell opening advantage and I wouldn't look back.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Sure it would have an advantage in Prod or CO. The example of recent rule changes, with people hanging extra weights on 47 oz 9 mm guns, is a good illustration that gamers will game the hell of every opportunity. Not having to pull DA trigger at all, not worrying about getting light strikes in SA because you're trying to lower your DA pull, larger range of ergonomic adjustments, easier to get trigger pull low. Personally I think 1911s cycle better than anything else. I'd run a 2011 even in Production to utilize tapered mag / wider magwell opening advantage and I wouldn't look back.
    Absolutely. There's an idea going around to combine all low cap divisions into 1 with 8 major or 10 minor options. If that happens, 1911/2011 would be the most popular choice especially on the top level without any sponsor dictated guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Absolutely. There's an idea going around to combine all low cap divisions into 1 with 8 major or 10 minor options.
    That's how they ruined Revolver division.

I get the 1911 advantage for nearly stock guns, but is running DA/SA in USPSA with a really great SA trigger at a disadvantage with just one DA trigger pull? USPSA tweaks rules (e.g., weight increase) to accommodate the latest hotness and with the allowance for weapon lights you can up the weight on a plastic gun. The ergos on production guns seem to have really increased over the last several years with in some cases interchangeable back straps and side panels. With all the moaning about how hard it is to keep a 9mm 1911 running you would think the P and CO incumbents would welcome unreliable cannon fodder into their ranks.

If they allowed 2011's I doubt you'd see many 1911's. Just like you don't see many 1911's in Lim 10.

You would also have to allow magwells.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    You would also have to allow magwells.
    Why? I think 1911 w/o magwell would create advantage on trigger niceness and disadvantage on reload speed vs typical Production guns, and it would at least somewhat even out.

Would a 1911 really have an advantage in "production" (or CO)?

I always compare my Production scores to SS at local matches, to increase the M class competition. But it’s hard to make a fair comparison because every single 1911 at my club doesn’t work reliably. Did I win by shooting better or because my S2 didn’t choke?

I would not welcome such a change because I want to compete against other Production shooters at major matches.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-26-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List