Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training to most likely or most dangerous COA?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Welcome to the human condition, bro.

Okie John
    Yeah, hopefully it'd suck more to be them.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I think re-reading Sean’s and Rob’s posts pretty much sums it up.

Although for a personal addition will say I have put much more emphasis on edged weapons and combatives the past few years. My “worst COA” is also my reality: can’t carry a firearm at work and that’s also the time when I frequently meet and engage with strangers. I also happen to be solo and in remote areas most of that time. So MUC, SPEAR, blades, BJJ, and boxing are the priorities. Dry fire a few times a week and go to range enough to maintain a baseline standard with firearms.

Lastly, Defoor has a nice little “priority” list I try to adhere to:

Mindset

Fitness

Tactics

Equipment
    I’ll go with this.

As an aside, that story linked in the OP was a hell of a thing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Mindset

Fitness

Tactics

Equipment
    I'm a bit confused by this. Does he really not have "skill with a pistol" on his list at all?

When I googled I found this link:
    https://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/1...is-good-enough

Which includes pistol, carbine, and blade skills as 3 of 6 six (fully half) in each list. It doesn't seem to treat them as "equipment" which would just be something to own but rather as a skillset same as combatives (which is also on the lists at the link).

Pretty sure that’s covered by “Equipment”.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Mindset

Fitness

Tactics

Equipment
    That does not really address the issue.

As an example. I can cultivate the mindset that I will face off in a 1v1 against a meth head at a gas station in the middle of nowhere NC. Or I can cultivate the mindset that I am in a 2008 Mumbai like incident. One is the most common. One is the most dangerous (maybe).

Fitness. As Rob stated. Average guy will see benefits of 30 min of walking a day and not drinking so much (that would be most common). Or do you need to be able to conduct 10, 250lb, 100m buddy drags back to back.

Tactics. See mindset as an example... Do I need to train to stand and deliver against one target 7m away, or become comfortable with the necessary tactics to be able to effectively move and maneuver on a numerically superior force?

Equipment. Same thing applies.

I bring this up because the MLCOA vs MDCOA is something that levels (IMHO) across the board on all subjects and categories. Meaning, you can have the drill automaticity to deal with the MDCOA (lets say you shoot a 1.5 second bill drill), but if you lack the mindset or tactics capable of dealing with that MDCOA, then its likely all for naught.

I think there are also a great deal of ML & MD disparity, diagnosed or undiagnosed. From the outside looking in, it seems like the current craze is full on medkits, fixed blade knives, pistol reloads etc (this would be taking equipment to the MDCOA side of the spectrum), while things like fitness or mindset are left at the MLCOA side of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Aren't you also the "we don't need no stinkin classes" guy? If so, one benefit to a class is you should* have a much shorter cycle of feels-good/low-performance/corrective-action/better performance in a class than you ever will shooting drills and watching youtube.

*"should" being the operative word, provided you've got a competent instructor.
    If that was at me, that is not the case. I am very pro training. I am also very, "there is a lot of shit training out there".

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    Odds, stakes, and costs (including opportunity costs) to mitigate. I think starting where MLCOA and MDcoA overlap could be worth thinking about. I suspect that's why Craig and his brain trust emphasize MUC and the 0-5 ft space so much.

Left of boom should yield the best cost/benefit in most situations.

I am very guilty of backwards justifying things I like as more important than they are.

I would also say that what you are capable of at your worst is more important than at your best.

Thanks,
    Jon
    From the organizational risk management perspective, that is usually how the analysis is done. What is the overlap and what can be covered in the most efficient manner. That analysis is usually what drives a large amount of decision making and contingency planning. Both at the tactical and operational level.

If you mentally picture it as a sliding ruler, with risk on the X axis. What covers you at the higher ends of risk, still covers you at the lower ends of risk. Its finding the efficiency point that's the key.

I would not say best or worse. I would say consistent. In all things I try to achieve consistency in performance. Ill caveat that to say, consistency, in the worst conditions.

The video was labeled as Cartel Assassins, these poor dudes were assassinated by an overwhelming force that was sent to murder them, not a domestic US defensive gun use.

After forty five years of pistol shooting, including being very diligent about doing it weekly for about the last ten, I am probably to the point where I should bicycle every Sunday instead of going shooting. I could get better (especially weak hand) but the realistic potential for me getting killed because of a lack of pistol shooting skills is going to be pretty low. But I am not a Mexican cop, probably the most realistic training for a Mexican cop would be to learn a skill that doesn't involve being a Mexican cop.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The video was labeled as Cartel Assassins, these poor dudes were assassinated by an overwhelming force that was sent to murder them, not a domestic US defensive gun use.

After forty five years of pistol shooting, including being very diligent about doing it weekly for about the last ten, I am probably to the point where I should bicycle every Sunday instead of going shooting. I could get better (especially weak hand) but the realistic potential for me getting killed because of a lack of pistol shooting skills is going to be pretty low. But I am not a Mexican cop, probably the most realistic training for a Mexican cop would be to learn a skill that doesn't involve being a Mexican cop.
    Hence why I am discussing MLCOA vs MDCOA.... A domestic US defensive handgun use is likely the MLCOA, in terms of a shooting problem.

As a simpler example New Yorkl

Quote Originally Posted by KEW8338 View Post
    I think there are also a great deal of ML & MD disparity, diagnosed or undiagnosed. From the outside looking in, it seems like the current craze is full on medkits, fixed blade knives, pistol reloads etc (this would be taking equipment to the MDCOA side of the spectrum), while things like fitness or mindset are left at the MLCOA side of the spectrum.
    For sure. It’s a lot easier to buy celox gauze and that cool new reverse edge blade than it is to skip lunch 4x weekly to knock out 150 pushups, 50 weighted pull ups, and a bunch of burpees, kettle bell swings, ab work and/or a quick run. Or re-read a good mindset book.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List