Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training to most likely or most dangerous COA?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Somewhat related, albeit possibly a bit dated:
    Name:  26A15BE5-8594-4D9A-AFEE-9FB1610BBF65.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  52.8 KB

That is super interesting and the first time I have seen that.

I’m a USPSA M, can clean the FAM, did a Failure to stop from surrender concealed in 1.35s, and can put 10 shots in the 10 ring at 25 yards freestyle on a timer and 292 on FBI Bullseye.

Name:  E4B6708C-BF99-48E9-994A-1F76AD5D4A0C.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  69.7 KB
    Name:  4B714C67-A43A-4A11-9EEB-0199B5CB6905.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  69.2 KB

It seems to me that the equivalency scale is quite accurate. I’m at the point where when running on a field course, I don’t think about the shooting. Just the footwork and course.

When talking about what kind of scenarios I prepare for as a private citizen, I want to have a seamless no hesitation index and I want to know what kind of shots are outside of my skill set. I also want to be able to immediately identify and remedy jams and malfunctions.

And when we talk about home defense, a rifle with a suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by KEW8338 View Post
    To me, what feels right, isn't necessarily, what wins.
    which is why you have to find ways to test yourself.

One of the metrics I hate most in the world for first-time guy buyers is "it feels good in my hand" when standing in the gun shop. So what? Are you holding it correctly? How do you know? Does it "feel good" when you're actually firing it? are you holding it correctly then?

Basic fitment aside, "feels good in my hand" doesn't mean anything. Unless it means enough to actually get you to the range, in which case maybe it matters a little but just enough for you to realize you got it wrong the first go around and you need something different.

Aren't you also the "we don't need no stinkin classes" guy? If so, one benefit to a class is you should* have a much shorter cycle of feels-good/low-performance/corrective-action/better performance in a class than you ever will shooting drills and watching youtube.

*"should" being the operative word, provided you've got a competent instructor.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    ...I want to know what kind of shots are outside of my skill set.
    You win this thread. Far too many people focus on what they can do instead of identifying what they can't do, then creating realistic Plans B, C, etc. to work around those weaknesses.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Odds, stakes, and costs (including opportunity costs) to mitigate. I think starting where MLCOA and MDcoA overlap could be worth thinking about. I suspect that's why Craig and his brain trust emphasize MUC and the 0-5 ft space so much.

Left of boom should yield the best cost/benefit in most situations.

I am very guilty of backwards justifying things I like as more important than they are.

I would also say that what you are capable of at your worst is more important than at your best.

Thanks,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    You win this thread. Far too many people focus on what they can do instead of identifying what they can't do, then creating realistic Plans B, C, etc. to work around those weaknesses.

Okie John
    My wife has a great story about something similar with regards to car racing. She did a fair amount of National level racing and one day on the street in the Winter she went to hit the brakes behind a different car but it was black ice.

She knew immediately that she wouldn’t be able to stop in time and instead used her traction to glide off into the strip mall driveway to the right.

Without knowing her limits and recognizing them immediately, she would have rear ended the car in front of her.

That to me is one of the great things about competition. You get to know what you can and can’t do when you get to higher levels.

I see so many noobs fling bullets at targets at a match and are surprised when half of them are nowhere on paper.

Site Supporter
    Both worst-case and most likely scenarios will vary for each of us based on our occupations, our behaviors, and our location on life's continuum. When I was a young guy, I was fit, had access to full-auto weapons, lots of friends with full-auto weapons, and a battery of 155mm howitzers. Now I'm still relatively fit but a geezer and decently (albeit not wonderfully) skilled with handguns, defensive shotguns, and rifles. I faithfully follow the Rule of the Three Stupids. It's vanishingly unlikely I'll be attacked by a group of military-age guys with full-auto weapons. About the most likely thing I have to worry about is being targeted by a couple of tweakers looking for money, and hopefully the training I've had in MUC will mitigate that. If not, I'll see how all the shooting classes and practice I've done work in the real world. I really hope it doesn't get to that point. My worst-case scenario is a group breaking into my house from more than one entrance simultaneously. There's only one of me, I'm no John Wick, and I've got an adult daughter and a grandson to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    There's only one of me, I'm no John Wick, and I've got an adult daughter and a grandson to protect.
    There is no John Wick. Solve one problem at a time—faster than the other guys—and don’t overthink it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    There is no John Wick. Solve one problem at a time and don’t overthink it.

Okie John
    Yup, that's the plan, but it would suck to be me for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yup, that's the plan, but it would suck to be me for a while.
    Welcome to the human condition, bro.

Okie John

User Tag List