Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Training to most likely or most dangerous COA?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Is making yourself more likely to get hit by an IED a good thing?
    If there is an option for no ENCOA and your job is to avoid contact, then that would be the preferred option.

But that's counter productive to the process. Because you are now planning for no contact....

If you are going to get in contact. The MLCOA is preferred to MDCOA

Quote Originally Posted by KEW8338 View Post
    If there is an option for no ENCOA and your job is to avoid contact, then that would be the preferred option.

But that's counter productive to the process. Because you are now planning for no contact....

Mission drives <insert topic here>

My mission is to keep people safe in the conduct of their duties.....to avoid contact.

Making contact more likely than it needs to be is not advantageous to that mission.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If all you do is train for most dangerous, which you see as multiple attackers and then subsequently only shoot the VTAC 1-5, that becomes a problem if most likely is one tweaker with a knife and you burn down the civilians on either side of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If all you do is train for most dangerous, which you see as multiple attackers and then subsequently only shoot the VTAC 1-5, that becomes a problem if most likely is one tweaker with a knife and you burn down the civilians on either side of him.

Given that's a mechanics and gun handling drill. Not a method of engagement....

Planning for, doesn't necessitate the force I apply in the situation as presented.

Training to most likely or most dangerous COA?

Given that's a mechanics and gun handling drill. Not a method of engagement....

Planning for, doesn't necessitate the force I apply in the situation as presented.
    It can for some people. I’m not sure about you, but I’ve definitely seen people jump into a reload or immediate action drill that wasn’t necessary at the time because they were working on that a lot while dry firing recently.

In a similar vein, Chuck P was talking about a video of a shooting and brought up the importance of assessing your shots because head shots tend to give a certain outcome that torso shots do not. If your MD is that it takes numerous shots to drop someone, and that’s all you train for but somehow score a headshot in a real situation, you very well may be sending multiple rounds at a target that’s no longer there and therefore, are just erratically sending follow up shots.

It all follows the same train of thought, and what I believe your OP was directed at. MD and ML will very rarely be handled the same so if you’re training for one, you may not be training for the other and in some instances, you may be training against it. But that does not mean that ML becoming even more likely because of your steps to prevent MD is a good thing.

Isn't that a good thing?
    Its a situational call.

If MDCOA involves a possible green-on-blue component, you may reduce the access/involvement/proximity of "green" to mitigate; trading against the increased risk that "green" will not be as effective during a more likely incident involving "red".

I am not an operatour, roughly 95% of my planning is reaction to X. I don't get to pick what scenario gets thrown at me, I have to balance the resources available to me against potential events. Given the choice, of course I would prefer to have something other than the literal most dangerous course of enemy action. I would wager this pertains to the majority of folks who are not involved in direct kinetic assault.

The other important part to this is a true analysis of ML and MD and something that I bet a lot of armed Americans fail at. Big army even fails at it pretty often because the general trend is to just pick some really bad shit. MD still needs to have some component of likeliness and not just technically possible.

Then, you have to tie that analysis to you or your organization, and the specific strengths and weaknesses. Maybe the initial thought is that MD is being cornered by three guys with knives or blunt weapons because there’s a trend of that in your city and three on one is never good. But on further analysis of your skills, MD is really the lone gunman with a rifle in King Soopers because he’s thirty yards away and you run that VTAC 1-5 all the time but never shoot past 10m.

Tell me about it, @Wake27

The "most likely threat" quoted by a lot of people in my agency is consistently, "vehicular accident". Which isn't false, but it's not a threat/hostile action. It's a self-evident overhead risk, and a cop-out to putting in thought/planning because you're fucking tired, have an early start, and want to get the bullshit paperwork over with so some muckety-muck supervisor who doesn't even know where his gun is can check a box that his team is prepared.

See the Tongo Tongo ambush AAR, and the Army scolding itself for forcing its troops to perform onerous paperwork which causes humans to shut-down, cut-and-paste, and miss the big picture or finer details.

Exact same shit happening, we just don't wear uniforms. That was super prevalent on my last tour, thankfully this one we generally dispense with the retardery.

Tell me about it, @Wake27

The "most likely threat" quoted by a lot of people in my agency is consistently, "vehicular accident". Which isn't false, but it's not a threat/hostile action. It's a self-evident overhead risk, and a cop-out to putting in thought/planning because you're fucking tired, have an early start, and want to get the bullshit paperwork over with so some muckety-muck supervisor who doesn't even know where his gun is can check a box that his team is prepared.

See the Tongo Tongo ambush AAR, and the Army scolding itself for forcing its troops to perform onerous paperwork which causes humans to shut-down, cut-and-paste, and miss the big picture or finer details.

Exact same shit happening, we just don't wear uniforms. That was super prevalent on my last tour, thankfully this one we generally dispense with the retardery.

It can for some people. I’m not sure about you, but I’ve definitely seen people jump into a reload or immediate action drill that wasn’t necessary at the time because they were working on that a lot while dry firing recently.
    I have witnessed that too. That is a reflection of shitty training or not being mentally engaged.

In a similar vein, Chuck P was talking about a video of a shooting and brought up the importance of assessing your shots because head shots tend to give a certain outcome that torso shots do not. If your MD is that it takes numerous shots to drop someone, and that’s all you train for but somehow score a headshot in a real situation, you very well may be sending multiple rounds at a target that’s no longer there and therefore, are just erratically sending follow up shots.
    Again, I would consider that poorly trained. Regardless of ML/MD. Shooting into the space, a guy was, but isnt, because he dropped, from an unintentional headshot is somewhat poor form.

It all follows the same train of thought, and what I believe your OP was directed at. MD and ML will very rarely be handled the same so if you’re training for one, you may not be training for the other and in some instances, you may be training against it. But that does not mean that ML becoming even more likely because of your steps to prevent MD is a good thing.

Yes, unless you can tea it up the ML and MD are normally handled differently. MD is going to have a higher degree of complexity and have increased force requirements. The ability to ramp up is far harder than the ability to ramp down.

As a terrible analogy with math. If you can do algebra. You can probably do addition.

User Tag List