Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wood, Fire and Whiskey...The Mancave Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’m using 3/8” Powelags that use a T50 bit. I do have an impact driver, but it just doesn’t have the cajones to do the task. I used a corded Makita hammer drill (may not have been the perfect choice...but it worked) and drove them home. I indeed pre-drilled as well. The bolts were 10” long, and there is only thread on the end 2” or so. The rest of the shank is smooth. I pre-drilled a 3/8” hole thru the first 6x6 and thru the 1” pine barn board. After that I used a 1/4” bit to drill through the 2x6 that was between the girts and the actual structural 6x6 post supporting the building. This picture may explain a bit more. I basically filled the gap between the 2x4 girts with 2x6 on top of the support posts. In this pic you can see I filled in on top of the far left post, but the two support posts that are on either side of the window are yet to have the 2x6s installed on top of them. Hope this makes sense.

Attachment 69536

So, if you were to look at the wall in cross section you would have the following:

<6x6 pergola post> <1” pine barn board> <2x6 board between girts> <6x6 treated structural support post>

Between the 2 Spax bolts (one placed 20” from top and the other 36” from floor) and the mounting plate that is attached to the concrete floor with 5/8” sleeve anchors (plus a bit of PL 500) I don’t think they are moving anytime soon. Lol.
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear the impact wouldn't get it done. I've had my impact driver (Milwaukee, in my case) sink screws that my corded tools won't. FWIW I do prefer the second type, with the hex head so I can use an impact-rated socket to drive them in, to the Torx drive in this case.

and yes, I'd agree, not going anywhere!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    A

Life is about living and about perspective. I lost a work colleague last Monday to cancer. He had lost his wife to cancer 8mo ago. They have two teenagers.
    Oh man that’s awful. I lost my mom to cancer at age 15. I can’t imagine losing my dad soon after. I hope the two kids have a good relationship.

Finally wrapped up the minibar in the office. Been neglecting it for some time. Now we can chill in the office, beer fridge next door in the kids playroom, and three flavors of whiskey and three flavors of Scotch, + Cubans.

Name:  FF32AAD8-5350-4241-A478-74942B5341D6.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  57.2 KBName:  F71B085A-C968-4785-839B-17BF6618BE48.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  54.0 KB
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    I dig the grenade decanter.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quick update. Posts all in. Connected one corner with bracing that will form the top for the drink/snack shelf that will be around the two sides. I tossed a couple pieces of scrap on top to get a feel. I’ll either use leftover oak flooring or more rough sawn barn board. Drilling square thru (2) 2x6s and a 6x6 was a bit tedious and took longer than we planned. They wanted a third testicle for pre-made decorative braces so used carriage bolts for that. I will need to touch up the paint on the bolts as well as the scorch on the wood where I countersunk them. Drilling the countersink exposed some bare wood.

Next up is to finish the 2x8s that will secure around the top. It was too windy and cold today to effectively use the torch outside. Hopefully tomorrow for that.

Name:  3E1EB000-01AE-4F69-BAA2-0C15A5783751.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  166E7FC3-F89D-4226-B577-89572EC14C79.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  57.6 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I dig the grenade decanter.
    I dig all of em....... just cool shit they can do with glass these days. When I saw the stormtrooper helmet decanter, I was like STFU and take my money!! 🤯

My first nonstandard decanter was the Tommygun that my wife got me. Then a globe with an old school sailing ship inside. Then the stormtrooper helmet. Rounded them out with the grenade and AK47 decanters. The only thing that sucks about so much liquor in unmarked bottles js remembering what flavor is in what bottle. I write jt down, but that shit always ends up lost.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Back at it today after about two weeks off. Life, family, more important stuff...

Got all the stringers on the posts and the basic framework done. Minor cosmetic cleanup items like bolt/nut covers and touching up some wood with the torch. I’ll start building the bar and tin roof tomorrow. Hopefully get the bar top poured by mid/end of the week. I got my call back date for work, so it’s a full count press now...

Name:  AC0DD11D-735F-453F-B0FE-DB6FFD74A241.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  53.3 KB

I think you said you don’t mind folks piggy-backing on the thread so...

I’m starting bar construction today. Got my 2x6 and 2x4 materials this week, they seem to have dried out sufficient ct,y to start work, so I’m kind of out of excuses!

Current status, note the folding tables roughing out the bar design...
    Name:  39D5CD07-EA6E-4AD9-A0C0-A13958A934EA.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  89.0 KB

Lumber, Immediately after stacking for airing out. Looks much drier today.
    Name:  BE3144EC-8E83-4CEB-8D8F-2C67467D1C90.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  92.4 KB

The plan (and we all know what they say about a plan...)
    Name:  B6B7E8FA-43C2-4F1C-8F3C-3669E8FAFD9F.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  66.8 KB

The goal for the end of the day today, or maybe tomorrow... pony wall/bar wall is 2x6 construction, lower kitchen cabinet” construction is 2x4. I’ll be pulling up one section of one deck board so that the otherwise unsupported section of pony wall will actually be lagged and glued to the deck joist for rigidity.
    Name:  1C801F58-6B51-476F-8CF0-A9FC90FA5D06.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  102.5 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Nice!! I love the “tiki look” and the pavers. Palm fronds hard to come by near Lake Superior tho...and they’d look out of place in February. Lol The transition from the decking to the pavers is awesome. What do you do for drainage under the boards?

It’s been a home improvement marathon, unfortunately it will not be completed before I head back to work and training. The goal at this point was to get it to where I could walk away for a bit and concentrate on other things. The electrical in the bar area will need to be finished, as well as the flooring. I’m hoping to have the concrete bar top polished before I leave so the wife can come back and seal it. The trim boards for around the bar are all cut to size, but I didn’t want to expose them to the sanding slurry. Furniture and doo-dads hopefully by late summer.

Name:  C1BDCE95-2B6F-48F6-80E2-00BE017034B5.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  AE8141D8-5C70-45AC-B246-6C00072E8DBD.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  9D52C1CC-D600-4587-91A7-3467807C15D4.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  36.1 KB
    Last edited by entropy; 04-24-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Nice!! I love the “tiki look” and the pavers. Palm fronds hard to come by near Lake Superior tho...and they’d look out of place in February. Lol The transition from the decking to the pavers is awesome. What do you do for drainage under the boards?
    The patio is “sloped” (not great, but hey...) to a drain that goes under the wall to the right in the photo. So when I built the decks (there’s an identical one on the other side) I used bits of Trex to float the joists and then left the fascia board on the deck with a gap under earth for water.

I’m hoping to have the concrete bar top polished before I leave so the wife can come back and seal it.
    Did you do the concrete yourself? Pour in place or fab and install?

I’m planning a concrete counter for the “kitchen” area of my build. Been looking at various solutions and methods.

I helped my neighbor install his concrete counters in his kitchen. They poured them outside in their patio then brought them in, flipped them over, and set them in place. I’ve been looking at a solution that uses a cement board base, and a special admixture to mix up the concrete, and plastic edge forms that you can snap off once it’s set.

To be honest the whole idea is becoming so nerve wracking that I’m starting to wonder if I shouldn’t just buy some quartz or corian tops and drop them in lol.

User Tag List