Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood, Fire and Whiskey...The Mancave Chronicles

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Wood, Fire and Whiskey...The Mancave Chronicles

Like most folks, the past year has been a mess and a challenge. Spent the better part of the spring and summer trying to protect jobs, keep my sanity, and juggle life. My light at the end of the tunnel was a 18mo leave, which I sold to the wife as “Practice Retirement”. Lol. Well low and behold, 18mo turned into more like 7mo, and I’m scrambling to cram as much “retirement” I can into the next two months. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful for the time and to have a job to come back to. When I do, it will be back to school, another base, and a different piece of equipment. More than likely September before I come up for air.

One of my “18mo Projects” was to finish off a portion of a pole barn. Wife has her sewing room, so I figured 70yds from the house was sufficient distance for a mancave. I finished the electrical in the coldest part of winter (temps -35F) and ordered up all the supplies before the prices got too crazy. If you think ammo is expensive, have you priced a 2x4 lately? Finished electrical:

Name:  9284EA8A-2878-4DB0-879B-0B7DAF053FC5.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  9B8B8035-5D99-40F3-B627-7B78F42C3AC8.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  37.6 KB

First item was to remove the interior metal on the corner I wanted to use. I shrunk it down to about 12’x18’ because I still want to put a decent sized workbench in. The building is 40x48.

Name:  FB1A8500-342F-4118-A1CC-366A3D5A8819.jpg
Size:  69.6 KB

I wanted rustic. I didn’t want to have to sell my other testicle. I found a small mill in rural northern WI that had rough sawn 12”x1x16’ pine designed for board and batten. I drove down, took a look and it was exactly what I was looking for. As an added bonus, the 78yr old owner was a hoot and a half. I drove away thinking “board and batten” was the way to go and had enough on the trailer to do the job and then some.

Name:  52B1AB67-FB28-4CBD-9787-5FA03F6418BA.jpg
Size:  100.1 KB

Once I got it back, I stated having second thoughts. Maybe “board-on-board” was the way to go. Maybe nickel gap? I spent two evenings with booze and cigars moving wood around and scratching my head. In the end, I decided to do the nickel gap and also use the left over roofing felt I had put down below the rough oak floors in the house 15 years ago. It was sweet revenge as the wife had never let me forget there was a roll sitting against the wall in the basement collecting spiders. Ha! I won!!! How fitting for the mancave.

Now how to finish the wood. I’m far from a sandals and granola type, but wanted to do something “different”. I had poked around the web a bit and found a way to naturally achieve the finish I was looking for...which was weathered barn wood. Using regular black tea, along with simple distilled white vinegar (that had #0000 steel wool added for a few days) I found the answer. This process is amazing. You simple brew the strongest damn tea you can imagine. I used 8 bags per pot. Then, you just slop the stuff on the wood and let it soak in, not being delicate in the least. You let it dry overnight, then do the same thing with the white vinegar/steel wool solution. The iron oxide(?) solution reacts with the tannin in the wood (boosted by the tea) and almost immediately begins to gray the wood. When it’s dry, you have a unique and beautiful piece of wood that looks like it’s been sitting outside for 20 years. The only downside is you smell like Italian salad dressing for 3 days...but hey...it’s worth it.

Name:  81EF21E1-275E-45F6-A7AB-50068197395E.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  78.7 KB

Next step was to put up the felt paper, cut and put up the boards, and rip and apply some trim. Wife got enthused once I started making salad dressing. She helped with the walls. It was nice to have extra hands. Half the time spent on the electrical was dreaming up “dead men” to hold stuff up while I scrambled up and down the scaffold. Her help was a joyous reprieve. That was pretty straight forward. I just had to make sure all my rough saw marks were going in the same direction. (Anal retentiveness is a b!t@h. Lol)

Name:  5817C9AE-20D9-4705-9339-B5973BB4CAD7.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  56.3 KB

Now for the 6x6 beams that would make up the pergola structure. Same thought. No traditional oil or water stains. Something different. I came across “Shao Sugi Ban”. Translated from Japanese to Midwest US it means “Ya burn it wit a torch.” So I dug out my weed burner and a BBQ tank of propane and went at a post, not quite sure what I’d end up with. After it was charred, I scraped off the burnt material with a wire brush. (Note to self: this is an outdoor activity from here on. It’s a bit messy.)

Name:  2C4F8983-2452-437C-92D8-7A88BA798D69.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  1FC794BC-6744-4A41-A6C8-92DADD4BFBAA.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  32.0 KB

I have a bourbon barrel I picked up in Lexington a few months back. Plan is to make a table. While I was at it, I torched the pine disk I’m using as a table base.

Name:  1678807A-20C3-4CD0-9AA0-E65B689797EA.jpg
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  F0F659AD-6202-4D5F-A44D-69998671A91D.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  35.8 KB

So here we are. I need to finish charring the other posts, then assembling the pergola. After that the plan is is to put down a laminate floor, and also build a small bar off the wall that has the pink insulation. I’ve accumulated enough stuff over my career to decorate nicely. It will all come out of the nooks and crannies we all put such things for such a time. I’m not sure if I can get it all done before I return to work, but I’m sure gonna try. I’ll keep updating this in case anyone shares my strange sense of construction fulfillment.

Name:  165955D4-D4DA-4025-B54B-CB3DCB54DF52.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  78.4 KB
    Last edited by entropy; 03-24-2021 at 09:48 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I build extremely fussy things out of very expensive lumber for extremely fussy people to a standard of +/-.002" for the working parts, and I salute you.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Very nice. If I understand your use of pergola the two sides not already paneled with wood in your pictures will be open, correct? Kind of a walk in deck like vibe? How do you plan to keep things from getting dusty from other projects in the pole barn?

I like it!

(Although I hate the word “man cave”, and not for metoo or sjw reasons but just the opposite in fact)

Curious to know what you’re doing with the rest of the barn, or what you were doing with it before this?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I really like the look of the Shao Sugi Ban work. I've seen a few things done that way on HGTV, but have never heard that term used for it before.

Saw someone make a flag from pallet wood that used that technique instead of paint, Kind of a black and blonde result looked great.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Lex: Thank you. I will say that the laser level is an invention that is both a cure and a disease to the anal retentive perfectionist.

Dan: Yes. My plan is to run a bar height rail (~42” high) along those two sides for both additional stability and to provide a spot to either stand or sit on a stool. The rail will have a 12” (or so) wide “shelf” made out of either more of the rough sawn, or left over 5” wide oak left over from the flooring. I have a hard time throwing good stuff away. Lol. Cleaning is just going to have to be via ShopVac and Swiffer. We have some beams in the house, and over the years I’ve become an artist in PVC tubing making up vacuum extensions that keep me off ladders.

rob_s: I agree with the term. I just don’t know what else to call it. My wife refers to it as the “Testosterone Memorial Center”. The barn has been up for a couple years. That was one of those projects that got sidetracked for 15years due to kids, work, life. We put it up the basic structure and figured I would stare at it for a while to see what came into vision. The rest is going to be utility. It’s well insulated and the longer term plan is to put a propane fired Modine up to heat it during the “not-so-nice” winters up here. I’ve had an itch for years to build an airplane, but in probability, that is more of a dream. The space is there though. I wired in several 240v circuits for welders and compressors and such tho. One can always dream.

RoyGBiv: I agree. It’s coming out much better that I expected. The posts are Doug Fir so there is a combination of very straight grain and knots on some of the posts. I’ve already learned to moderate the heat (and char) around the knots to help them visually “pop” a bit more. It’s definitely a “right brain” endeavor. The left side of the cranium is just happy with the fire and burning stuff.

Very cool everything - the barn, the project, etc.
    The finish on the wood came out beautifully.
    Looking forward to seeing the progress/updates and finished project.
    Well played all around.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The barn has been up for a couple years. That was one of those projects that got sidetracked for 15years due to kids, work, life. We put it up the basic structure and figured I would stare at it for a while to see what came into vision. The rest is going to be utility. It’s well insulated and the longer term plan is to put a propane fired Modine up to heat it during the “not-so-nice” winters up here. I’ve had an itch for years to build an airplane, but in probability, that is more of a dream. The space is there though. I wired in several 240v circuits for welders and compressors and such tho. One can always dream.
    I've been in my current house for about 6 years now. One of the huge selling points for myself was the 25x30x16ft ceiling workshop space with 2-story conditioned space with bathroom ("guest house") attached. I naively envisioned evenings and weekends spent tinkering, sawing, gluing, welding,

Here we are 6-ish years later and I finally installed some window shaker ACs (we're in SE Florida) to try and extend the work season in the space. Got some electrical upgrades early on with a primary focus on woodworking.

But I'd be lying if I said that there aren't times when my lack of production in the space (and time to generate said production) hasn't gotten me thinking about turning into a party-barn/game room, but so far I've managed to maintain it as a shop space, albeit infrequently used and lesser-equipped than I'd like.

so I totally identify with the "now that I've got it, what the hell do I do with the space" thing
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Name:  A2976C92-6C2D-4AFA-B485-68673DDAA1F6.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  100.0 KB

Burning more wood today. Propane tanks freezing up. I’m cycling them trying to keep the pressure up. Hopefully get those done today and start putting them up this weekend. I’m using Ozco mounting brackets which I’m hoping will simplify things. Drilling into my pristine concrete floor is gonna be tough...lol

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I build extremely fussy things out of very expensive lumber for extremely fussy people to a standard of +/-.002" for the working parts, and I salute you.
    I just don't see how that is possible with wood. Amazing really.

OP: love the Pole Barn and the work you have started.

Y'all make me feel inadequately manly.

User Tag List