Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester's upcoming price increase

That ammo produced 1.5” groups benched out of my 5” VP9’s. I don’t think it’s leaving anything on the accuracy table.

The price increases are going to suck, but they are here to stay IMO. Folks are paying the prices without batting an eye for the most part. Maybe if enough people slow their purchases down we will see a return to normal, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I held off "restocking" before the poop hit the impeller since I live in an apartment and dont have as much storage anymore. Kind of regretting that, but it is what it is, I guess.

Costs like the current ones, combined with the primer famine, have a real potential of impacting competitive shooting- there is no doubt that there will be a shift in round counts for stages for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Glad I don't use Winchester primers. I know, CCI primers will go up in price like everything else. It is what it is. I'm happy I bought 8 lbs of 748 powder last year and beat the price increase. I saw this coming, just didn't buy the primers I should have when I bought the powder. I expect primers will be $40 a thousand when they get caught up. And powder, who knows what that might be?
    I'm in the opposite situation - I stocked up on primers in the summer of 2019 when there was a rebate going on CCI primers plus Powder Valley was doing a deal on hazmat shipping, which resulted in some of the least expensive primers I've ever bought, but I'm somewhat low on powder at only a few pounds left. It should be enough to last the summer, but I'm going to be on the hunt for powder until I get some, whenever that may be.

ETA: Never mind, I'm good at least for a while - just checked Powder Valley, and they have (maybe had, now) 4-pound jugs of N320 in stock. There was a quantity limit on them, so I was only able to purchase one, and I'm kind of eating it on shipping + hazmat as a result, but 4 pounds of N320 makes a decent number of rounds of 9mm.
    Last edited by olstyn; 04-07-2021 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    But...but...all the folks on the interwebz said that the reason for the M&P 1.0's accuracy issues was that the 1 in 18-3/4" twist was too slow to stabilize 115-grain bullets!
    Which must make the .38 Special impossible, with an 18.75 twist for 158 grain lead at not better than 850 fps.

Randy Lee explained why he went to a faster twist in the Apex MP barrels and it was not for bullet stability.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Which must make the .38 Special impossible, with an 18.75 twist for 158 grain lead at not better than 850 fps.
    Not to mention the old Super Police load of a 200-grain bullet at 6-something fps. I was active on the Enos forum when the M&P9 accuracy issue came to light and the folks who started shooting in the post-revolver time frame swore that the rate of twist was the problem. When I pointed out that the .38 Special used the same rate of twist with heavier bullets at lower velocities, heads started spinning.

</thread drift>

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I'm in the opposite situation - I stocked up on primers in the summer of 2019 when there was a rebate going on CCI primers plus Powder Valley was doing a deal on hazmat shipping, which resulted in some of the least expensive primers I've ever bought, but I'm somewhat low on powder at only a few pounds left. It should be enough to last the summer, but I'm going to be on the hunt for powder until I get some, whenever that may be.

ETA: Never mind, I'm good at least for a while - just checked Powder Valley, and they have (maybe had, now) 4-pound jugs of N320 in stock. There was a quantity limit on them, so I was only able to purchase one, and I'm kind of eating it on shipping + hazmat as a result, but 4 pounds of N320 makes a decent number of rounds of 9mm.
    All of the components will be available again sooner or later, they always are. I'm starting to get a little paranoid about shortages however. This one has been long and deep. The next opportunity I get I'll probably buy enough primers to last 3-4 years. I have enough to get me thru this shortage. Bullets are another item I never worried about but now I have to. I just ran out of coated lead bullets for my 32 Long revolver and the wait time is this summer sometime. 32 long, a dead cartridge and no bullets. That says something right there. There can't be that many cowboy shooters out there that reload.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List