Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Picking a P226

Cherry Picking a P226

Suppose you could pick a 9mm P226 from the armory of an agency that had been purchasing them since the early 90's. I'm assuming that you'd want a West German gun. Any guess as to which serial number ranges would be "best" for long term durability?

Prob not THE answer but I'd say buy as many as they will allow and sort them out on the bench and on the range. The ones you don't keep for yourself would make great Christmas presents.

We are diminished
    I would not want a stamped slide gun. A pre-05 stainless slide P226 is probably ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I would not want a stamped slide gun....
    Can you provide some more detail on this?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

We are diminished
    The stamped slide guns need more maintenance. They need the roll slide pins replaced regularly to avoid frame cracking. For some people it wouldn't make a difference but for someone like John and particularly when he mentions long term durability it wouldn't be my choice.

Furthermore, at various times SIG has discontinued sale of stamped slide parts including the pins and the breech block.

The stamped slide guns need more maintenance. They need the roll slide pins replaced regularly to avoid frame cracking. For some people it wouldn't make a difference but for someone like John and particularly when he mentions long term durability it wouldn't be my choice.

Furthermore, at various times SIG has discontinued sale of stamped slide parts including the pins and the breech block.
    Good to know. I just happen to have some spares in stock.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

The stamped slide guns need more maintenance. They need the roll slide pins replaced regularly to avoid frame cracking..
    Yup..................who knew?
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Not that I am planning to get one, but just for a general knowledge fund: how's stamped slide look vs non-stamped (milled?)?

The old will have a breech block.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Not that I am planning to get one, but just for a general knowledge fund: how's stamped slide look vs non-stamped (milled?)?
    Stamped guns will have a roll pin located on the side of the slide, little more than mid height, above the decoker lever. They will also (to my knowledge) all have internal extractors.

Machined slides will have a solid pin in the location where the roll pin was and will have external extractors.

I'm certain that like Berettas, there will be some minor variations depending on when and where made. So the best way to tell is to remove the slide and see if the breech is part of the slide or a separate piece.

User Tag List