View Poll Results: What slide finish for optic cut?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cerakote

6 20.00%
  • Black Nitride

21 70.00%
  • Something else

3 10.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cerakote or Black Nitride for Optic Cut?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Isn't the exposed metal stainless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Guess not!

Key words from Jagerwerks.

Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I just made this choice and I went with the nitride. Who are you having mill the sight? I went with Battlewerx.
    My 43X was an early silver slide edition. I sent it off to BattleWerx for milling and their black nitrite slide refinish...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Got my slide back from Battlewerks. I sent it on 2 MAR and got it back on 15 APR. Not to bad with the nitrite finish. I sent them an email and they recommended 12 inch pounds for the screws.

Going to go sight in the red dot and check the new iron sights tomorrow.

Name:  PXL_20210415_194749969.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  61.7 KB

My slides wear all in good condition, had no desire to paint them a tacticool color, so I just cleaned and degreased the cuts, cold blued the shiny exposed (non stainless) steel, cleaned again, polished, repeat, then coated that area with a silicon grease, screwed down the RMR or whatever. I've been carrying/shooting RDS Glocks for five years, no problems with rush or corrosion. if I do get some it's not the end of the world -- just clean it, reapply the cold blue and silicon or whatever and move on.

In the old days, back when few guns were stainless and our 1911s and magnums were mostly blued, I used to apply car wax to fend off the blood, sweat and tears (and rain and snow). Never failed me. I still use waxes on my knives, no reason that wouldn't work on a milled slot.

To me it's about protection, not cosmetics in the milled area. If my gun needed refinishing, then I'd do it. But they didn't, so I didn't bother.

For the record, Glock finishes are better than anything the aftermarket can provide. Well, except maybe for the silver finish; I hear it wears, but I dunno from personal experience.

FWIW Battlewerx did a fantastic job on my 43X for a 407K. I cold blued and siliconed it, so far so good.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 04-21-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Just rub a bunch of CLP on between the slide and plate. Nobody is going to see it, and any rust that may happen won’t affect performance.

The Cerakoted slide returned from Primary Machine today.

Name:  F139D5E5-3570-47CF-BFF8-067C2905FF17.jpg
Views: 2908
Size:  102.9 KB

I’m extremely pleased with their work. The job looks like it came from Glock. I really like the Graphite Black, it is just a bit less glossy than the original nitride finish. The surface is also just a bit less slickery than the original black. A criticism of my G48 was how slippery the black slide felt.

I appreciate the might not be as durable as the original finish, but since the nDLC is still under there, I’m ok. It’s a Glock; I’m not too worried about cosmetic appearance.

I appreciate all the inputs.

One wonders how one would get Cerakote to stick to “nDLC”. One would expect they blasted the entire slide to get the bond.

User Tag List