View Poll Results: What slide finish for optic cut?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cerakote

6 20.00%
  • Black Nitride

21 70.00%
  • Something else

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cerakote or Black Nitride for Optic Cut?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I'd just "paint" it, either with the Cerakote or a can of spray paint. The sight cut is not a wear area, although the dovetail could retain salt/sweat. I'd just make sure there's a film of oil in the cut when you clean the gun. Or spray a shot of Boeshield T-9 into the cut after the sight is in place. It leaves a waxy coating, and should seal up the crack. It does a good job of protecting fly reels, particularly around the reel foot where it's attached to the frame (usually a dovetail) used in the salt.

I've had no issues with Cerakoted dovetail cuts where I had red dots installed . . . although, come to think of it, some are on stainless slides anyway (which doesn't make them corrosion-proof).
    Boeshield is good stuff. Thanks @flyrodr...

I just made this choice and I went with the nitride. Who are you having mill the sight? I went with Battlewerx.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 03-23-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I mean, I would give up the ability to select Lizard Green Cerakote for a slide color, but that's life I guess.
    A Lizard Green slide, paired with holster and belt from just the right critter . . .

Attachment 69252

. . . would certainly show you had a certain level of class.

Would matching boots be over the top . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I just made this choice and I went with the nitride. Who are you having mill the sight? I went with Battlewerx.
    Leaning towards Primary Machine. $150 and I send the slide and optic (507k). Includes cerakote, black nitride is $40 more+8 week lead time.

My total for the milling work, the finish, some suppressor height sights and return shipping was ~$250.

I am pretty excited about trying out this RDS stuff.

Site Supporter
    I'm sending a G45 slide to be milled next week (waiting on the optic), I'll be going with nitrite. I think it's the more durable option.

Isn't the exposed metal stainless?
    How much is going to even be visible?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Name:  Screenshot_20210323-215117.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  29.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Leaning towards Primary Machine. $150 and I send the slide and optic (507k). Includes cerakote, black nitride is $40 more+8 week lead time.
    Given that it's a protected surface on a tactical tupperware gun, *I* wouldn't pay $40 extra and wait 8 extra weeks for nitride finish. I understand why one would, but not for me.
    David S.

So I'll most likely get it cerakoted, graphite black.

I'm hoping the surface of the ceramic coating will be slightly less slickery than the nitride, as a side benefit. I think the black slide coatings on Glocks is great, but not as rough as the silver PVD (?) finish I've felt on the earlier Glock 43X/48 slides. Being as how the 48 is so skinny, it's harder for me to get a purchase on it now, since it is so slick. Plus I don't really want to wait another 8 weeks (this is my carry gun) for the nitride, just to cover the milled opening which is covered by the optic anyway. I'm not too worried about cosmetics, my Glocks are just tools; I mean, I take care of them, but they are just tools and I expect tools to have wear marks.

Thanks for all the inputs; it's been a pretty interesting discussion.

User Tag List