View Poll Results: What slide finish for optic cut?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cerakote

6 20.00%
  • Black Nitride

21 70.00%
  • Something else

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cerakote or Black Nitride for Optic Cut?

Cerakote or Black Nitride for Optic Cut?

I am going to have my Glock 48 cut for an optic. I am seeing a couple options to protect the metal, cerakote or black nitride. This pistol is my EDC. Cerakote is cheaper (and I guess less durable) and comes in a variety of colors. The black nitride is at higher cost and takes longer (measures in several weeks).

Is there an obvious answer here? I kinda decided to get cerakote, probably boring graphite black, but wanted to ask the hive.

TIA.

Site Supporter
    I don't think it matters. The milled surface will be protected by the optic so wear resistance doesn't seem critical. I guess nitride would coat the screw hole surfaces better though, so I'd probably go with it unless I was in a big hurry.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pangloss; 03-23-2021 at 04:02 PM.

And I fatfingered my vote - it was supposed to be nitrating, not cerakote.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Nitride. If you’re going through the time and expense and irrevocable change to the slide to cut for an optic, do it right, do it all the way.

Cerakote or Black Nitride for Optic Cut?

Cerakote increases the thickness, and is not nearly as durable. If it is just for a slide cut, a good spray paint might be just as good.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Cerakote increases the thickness, and is not nearly as durable. If it is just for a slide cut, a good spray paint might be just as good.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...+5ba290cf3fbf6

?

That looks awesome. Might try that for pairing a SS AR barrel.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

NP3 the whole slide. It will cost more and you can make do without it but... You might be glad you did in the long run.

I'd just "paint" it, either with the Cerakote or a can of spray paint. The sight cut is not a wear area, although the dovetail could retain salt/sweat. I'd just make sure there's a film of oil in the cut when you clean the gun. Or spray a shot of Boeshield T-9 into the cut after the sight is in place. It leaves a waxy coating, and should seal up the crack. It does a good job of protecting fly reels, particularly around the reel foot where it's attached to the frame (usually a dovetail) used in the salt.

I've had no issues with Cerakoted dovetail cuts where I had red dots installed . . . although, come to think of it, some are on stainless slides anyway (which doesn't make them corrosion-proof).

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That looks awesome. Might try that for pairing a SS AR barrel.
    Gotcha. Properly prepared, I can't see why VHT Brake paint (good for 900 F) isn't an option for a simple slide cut, to be honest.

I mean, I would give up the ability to select Lizard Green Cerakote for a slide color, but that's life I guess. It seems they coat the whole slide with this stuff, no matter that they just cut the slide, so you get it on the whole slide surface whether you want it or not. I'm just not crazy about putting that on my slide; I kinda like how it comes from the factory now.

User Tag List