Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

I don't know enough about polymer to know one way or another, but I think there's a difference between long term and short term durability. I only use pmags right now, but the long term "just in case" stash is all NHMTG aluminum still new in wrapper. The aluminum mags have been around long enough to know how they'll perform in 20 or 30 years. Pmags have only been around for about a decade and a half. I have no doubt pmags will handle abuse better than aluminum. I have no idea how they'll compare after sitting on a shelf for a decade or three.
    Yeah, realistically, either will be more than durable enough for my purposes. Most of my empty reserve mags are USGIs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind RE aluminum/GI mags: they are much less forgiving of being dropped. I was working dry mag changes with snap caps in the garage even standing on a piece of carpet. Mags were D&H. Empty mag hit the carpet out of the gun, flipped onto the concrete floor and dented the feedlip, rendering the mag useless.

That was my “back to pmags” moment.

Yep. I’ve deadlined my fair share of aluminum mags over the years due to being dropped on the feedlips partially loaded and/or stepped on after they were dropped.

I’ve been using Pmags almost exclusively since ‘08 and have had a few Rev Ms swell and had fits with the Gen M3 until they fixed the transposition problem.

These days, I’m all M3 all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Did they eventually add the 2nd rib to stop the round tilt issue mentioned earlier to the M2/moe pmags as well as the M3s or is that an M3 only feature?
    Think it's only on M3's.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    When folks say "GI mags" is there a specific vendor/maker they're looking for?

I bought half a dozen or so OKAY Surefeeds a bit ago and like them. But I want to pick up 10-20 more mags. I'm leaning towards splitting the difference and picking up 10x PMAGs and 10x Surefeeds.
    I use Colt mags.

When I was doing what I was doing, I always ran Colts and they performed extremely well, which is not something I can say for P mags. Though I do have a bunch of P-mags that have been generally good, I have had a bunch crack, spread etc.

The Colts have lasted for a very long time.

For example, when running PSD, I ran 28 rounds in 30s and never had a single issue. Last 5 were tracer, followed by 20 of duty, and top 3 tracer.

* Sidebar lesson for those who might want to know/learn.

Guy might say "Contact right, Contact front, whatever, but unless you are oriented in that direction, and see that action, you may not know exactly where that initial contact is. When your first 3 are tracers, that gives your team mates a visual clue what is happening. It also can give eyes in the sky (if you have them) a better reference. The last 5 tracers, let you know it is time to start thinking about switching mags.

Anyways. The Colt brand, and those who make mags for Colt have always been top notch, and if I have a choice, they are what I will grab first.

The grab bag I keep at home and travel with , which has my blow-out kit (T-CCC medical stuff) has Colt mags, Glock mags and some bottled water. Mostly it is the med stuff, as I don't really see a scenario where I would use 4 rifle mags in the U.S. The med kit has been used at a couple of auto wrecks though.

3 soft point, 1 green tip.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I use Colt mags.

When I was doing what I was doing, I always ran Colts and they performed extremely well, which is not something I can say for P mags. Though I do have a bunch of P-mags that have been generally good, I have had a bunch crack, spread etc.

The Colts have lasted for a very long time.

For example, when running PSD, I ran 28 rounds in 30s and never had a single issue. Last 5 were tracer, followed by 20 of duty, and top 3 tracer.

* Sidebar lesson for those who might want to know/learn.

Guy might say "Contact right, Contact front, whatever, but unless you are oriented in that direction, and see that action, you may not know exactly where that initial contact is. When your first 3 are tracers, that gives your team mates a visual clue what is happening. It also can give eyes in the sky (if you have them) a better reference. The last 5 tracers, let you know it is time to start thinking about switching mags.

Anyways. The Colt brand, and those who make mags for Colt have always been top notch, and if I have a choice, they are what I will grab first.

The grab bag I keep at home and travel with , which has my blow-out kit (T-CCC medical stuff) has Colt mags, Glock mags and some bottled water. Mostly it is the med stuff, as I don't really see a scenario where I would use 4 rifle mags in the U.S. The med kit has been used at a couple of auto wrecks though.

3 soft point, 1 green tip.

IIRC, Colt branded mags are made by OKAY Industries (based in New Britain CT, just SW of hartford)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Anyone have real experience with the Okay Surefeed E2 mags? I don't really want to wade through the 21 page thread over on Arfcom.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anyone have real experience with the Okay Surefeed E2 mags? .
    I can give you one small data point. I have had some in my practice rotation for a year, unremarkable, work fine. That stippling was sort of weird to me at first but I sorta like it now. I doubt the stipple part has any serious purpose in my use case. I see them as just another good GI style mag with good no tilt followers, run mine with 28 rounds and they probably run fine with 30 except I never load mine to that point. I have an embarassing number of USGI mags laid back as I was sure HRC was going to become president in 2016 and I had lived through the ban. I would not hesitate to buy these or the non E2's if I were stocking up now just based on the small sample of 6 in my practice rotation.

Site Supporter
    So 28 rounds vs 30 has been mentioned a few times. The answer is, it depends.

There are two issues I’m aware of regarding this topic:

First, is the assertion that down loading by two increases reliability in GI mags. People from places that treat mags as the consumables they are, tend to favor 30 in GI mags. Those from places that don’t readily replace worn or malfunctioning mags, or still issued old black follower mags tend towards 28 in GI mags. IME if the mag is good and has anti tilt followers (green, tan or magpul) it should work with 30 but YMMV and there is a second issue with 30 in a GI mag.

GI mags hold exact 30 rounds. Newer mags like PMAGS etc have longer mag bodies with room for 31 or 32 rounds, however, that space is not for the extra rounds. It’s to allow space for the spring to work optimally with 30, and to allow some “flex” when loading / tac loading on a closed bolt. The flex allows you to ensure the mag is fully seated and the mag catch is fully engaged when loading on a closed bolt.

A 30 round GI mag with 30 rounds in it has little to no flex. So even if your GI mags run fine with 30 when loaded open bolt, you may want to download them (or use PMAGs etc) for closed bolt use. Other wise you may find yourself getting off one shot and having your partially locked mag drop out of the gun under recoil. Not that I’ve ever had that happen....... push -pull is a thing.

As Chuck P demonstrates in this video changing followers and floor plates can change whether or not your mag locks in with 30 on a closed bolt.

Last edited by HCM; 03-30-2021 at 11:49 AM.

I wish E2's had the first round start on the same side as the first gen, and magpuls.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

A 30 round GI mag with 30 rounds in it has little to no flex. So even if your GI mags run fine with 30 when loaded open bolt, you may want to download them (or use PMAGs etc) for closed bolt use. Other wise you may find yourself getting off one shot and having your partially locked mag drop out of the gun under recoil. Not that I’ve ever had that happen....... push -pull is a thing.
    My experience as I demonstrated in front of Paul Howe and a whole class 🤬

User Tag List