Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 132

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

  1. #101
    Site Supporter Paul D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    In regards to the PMAGs, do the color of the mags affect the material strength? I remember reading somewhere that the FDE mags are inherently weaker than the black mags due to the coloring process. I like the window version of PMAGs but this thread makes me wonder if that is also an inherent weakness. So far I haven't noticed any premature cracks in the body due to the windows.

  2. #102
    I do remember reading something similar. I believe that is what lead Magpul to eventually stop production of most of the colored mags. I remember reading that the Sand and MCT colored mags were the only ones that had the same strength/durability as the black ones. I don’t know why they stopped selling the Sand ones but I’m guessing they just weren’t popular with customers since they were an off-white and you were expected to dye them in whatever colors you wanted after purchase. I was able to snag 10 for pretty cheap once they were discontinued.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    In regards to the PMAGs, do the color of the mags affect the material strength? I remember reading somewhere that the FDE mags are inherently weaker than the black mags due to the coloring process. I like the window version of PMAGs but this thread makes me wonder if that is also an inherent weakness. So far I haven't noticed any premature cracks in the body due to the windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I do remember reading something similar. I believe that is what lead Magpul to eventually stop production of most of the colored mags. I remember reading that the Sand and MCT colored mags were the only ones that had the same strength/durability as the black ones. I don’t know why they stopped selling the Sand ones but I’m guessing they just weren’t popular with customers since they were an off-white and you were expected to dye them in whatever colors you wanted after purchase. I was able to snag 10 for pretty cheap once they were discontinued.
    The colored PMAGs were definitely not as durable until you got to the Gen3 polymers. The Gen2s definitely had this issue, and as noted, it is why they got discontinued. The Sand and MCT are actually stronger than the black, IIRC; I know the sand was definitely advertised as such. The dyeing aspect did not take off as hoped, and thus they were eventually discontinued due to the lack of sales as guessed (to my great annoyance when it comes to AR-10 mags, as they don't make the 25 rounders in MCT).

  4. #104
    Crow may be on the menu.

    I pulled all my junk out for some training after work today. First reload drill with the AR, had to strip the mag. 4 of my 5 Gen M3s in my training rotation wouldn’t drop free, the fifth barely would. These are not even six months old and dropped free until now. I have a little over 2K rounds through these 5 mags.

    I went to the office and drug out a dusty box of green follower Colt mags and they shot out like shit through a goose.

  5. #105
    Old man yelling at cloud OlongJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    "carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Crow may be on the menu.

    I pulled all my junk out for some training after work today. First reload drill with the AR, had to strip the mag. 4 of my 5 Gen M3s in my training rotation wouldn’t drop free, the fifth barely would. These are not even six months old and dropped free until now. I have a little over 2K rounds through these 5 mags.

    I went to the office and drug out a dusty box of green follower Colt mags and they shot out like shit through a goose.
    How hot was it in the vehicle they sat in all day?
    .
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

  6. #106
    They’re kept in a locker in the office.

    I don’t really know what to think. Those mags and that BCM lower are my daily beaters. They’ve been dropping free since October or November.

    Now they don’t drop from the BCM lower, but I just tried ‘em in a few other lowers, and they DO still drop from a couple of Colt and SOLGW lowers.

    Maybe the BCM lower was on the edge of being too tight and the mags relaxed just enough to make ‘em stick.

    I’m going to keep using them and see if it gets worse.

  7. #107
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Front Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    They’re kept in a locker in the office.

    I don’t really know what to think. Those mags and that BCM lower are my daily beaters. They’ve been dropping free since October or November.

    Now they don’t drop from the BCM lower, but I just tried ‘em in a few other lowers, and they DO still drop from a couple of Colt and SOLGW lowers.

    Maybe the BCM lower was on the edge of being too tight and the mags relaxed just enough to make ‘em stick.

    I’m going to keep using them and see if it gets worse.
    Maybe sand them just a little bit?

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    They’re kept in a locker in the office.

    I don’t really know what to think. Those mags and that BCM lower are my daily beaters. They’ve been dropping free since October or November.

    Now they don’t drop from the BCM lower, but I just tried ‘em in a few other lowers, and they DO still drop from a couple of Colt and SOLGW lowers.

    Maybe the BCM lower was on the edge of being too tight and the mags relaxed just enough to make ‘em stick.

    I’m going to keep using them and see if it gets worse.
    IIRC, I've read the BCM magwells are tight and problems with MagPul's are not unheard of.

    The M3 version of the PMag adds an “over insertion tab” on the rear spine of the magazine. Unfortunately, it interfaces with an area of the lower that can vary substantially during the manufacturing of a milspec lower receiver group.

    For this section of the weapon you have 2 sets of tolerances; forging tolerances and machining tolerances. When you add them up the Mil-Std TDP finished product has a range. For over 5 decades, the dimensions controlling the lower end of the magwell have been generous with tolerances. Allowing as much as +-.060” of tolerance in the M16, and even more within the M4 requirements, with the majority of the tolerances in the forging. That means lowers can vary by 1/8” in this area!

    BCM lower receivers are built within the semi auto versions of those prints. Any AR15 lower built to the correct print could still have this issue with the over insertion tab.


    At one point it was reported that BCM's response to the problem was that 'MagPul magazines are not milspec' - this post from BCM isn't so abrupt:

    It is not fully backwards compatible. Based on our analysis, the location of the tab is based on a lower built to the center of the tolerance range, which leaves the possibility of up to 1/16” of interference in some cases. We have gone over the documents many times to ensure this is not an oversight on our part. If it was, we would scramble to make it right. We have not found this to be the case though. Due to the allowable tolerances in the mil-spec prints, the tab will work with some lowers, and not in others. This is not specific to BCM and similar situations will arise from many other makers whose tolerances may even exceed the TDP allowances.

    The PMag is obviously an excellent design, but this tab has the possibility to cause issues with any milspec lower. As a result it is possible even within the same manufacturer to have it fit some and not on others. If you want an inventory or load out of fully cross compatible mags we recommend you file off a bit of that tab, because while it may fit in the couple of your lowers, and then it may not fit in the next couple of your buddies AR.

    Bravo Company USA, Inc


    https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry...s-/138-287793/

    All this to say, why have to worry about what generation mag you have, and pay more to boot?

    GI mags work just fine for me - I'm not shooting green tip in blowing sugar sand.

    Okay/Surefeed, D&H, Brownells - mags a disposable items, easier to chuck them if you generally have less than $10.00 invested.


    A differing view from a BTDT infantry officer:

    https://primaryandsecondary.com/why-...num-usgi-mags/

  9. #109
    The over insertion tab would prevent the mag from locking in.

    I had that problem with two BCM lowers from 2010-12.

    I have Colt lowers from before Magpul was even a company and they’re fine with Gen M3s.

  10. #110
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Away, away, away, down.......
    This isn’t the first or second time I’ve read about a BCM lower having too tight of a magwell to drop free pmags.
    "I don't know if it is a placebo effect or not, but I have a growing feeling of well being that comes directly from my instinctual survival drive deep in my belly center”

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •