Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 132

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A friend showed up the other day with a brand spanking new AR "custom built" by somebody I never heard of - which isn't hard in this era of assemblers - and his Pmags were tight in the well, having to be pushed in and pulled out. I tried one of my bona fide USGI surplus and it slid right in and dropped right out. Sorry, I don't know "generations" of plastic products.
    Who manufactured the stripped lower it was built from?

  2. #62
    Beats me, it had some sort of artsy squiggle logo. I could make out Arizona.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

  3. #63
    Member ST911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    For the best reliable, long-term use mags, here are the names that I think I know meet the standard:
    Magpul
    Lancer
    Okay (?)
    Any other polymer mags?
    I know there are other Aluminum mag brands that are recommended... could someone fill in some names for me?
    Started and stopped several replies, but nutshell: Of the latest revisions of the major mags there really isn't a bad choice to make, only degrees of better.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

  4. #64
    10.3" Master Race TGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    "The Grim"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A friend showed up the other day with a brand spanking new AR "custom built" by somebody I never heard of - which isn't hard in this era of assemblers - and his Pmags were tight in the well, having to be pushed in and pulled out. I tried one of my bona fide USGI surplus and it slid right in and dropped right out. Sorry, I don't know "generations" of plastic products.
    He probably had Gen 1 or Gen 2 PMAGs. They have a thicker body that is purposely intended to fit tighter than USGI or Gen 3 PMAGs. Magpul designed the mags this way to reduce the ingress of dust during field operations....at least, this is how a Magpul rep explained it to me at an expo in 2008 when he was handing out free mags. HK went about this problem their own way, by undersizing the mag well to make USGI mags fit a little tighter to reduce debris ingress....meaning the PMAGs wouldn't fit, so they came out with the EMAG and Gen 3 PMAG which has a slimmer body to allow seating in the tighter magwell.

    ETA: Just to be clear I'm not saying your buddy has an HK, but some manufacturers do intentionally make their magwells tighter...and even among those that don't, one example might be particularly tighter than another if using the earlier PMAGs.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-06-2021 at 11:39 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    He probably had Gen 1 or Gen 2 PMAGs. They have a thicker body that is purposely intended to fit tighter than USGI or Gen 3 PMAGs. Magpul designed the mags this way to reduce the ingress of dust during field operations....at least, this is how a Magpul rep explained it to me at an expo in 2008 when he was handing out free mags. HK went about this problem their own way, by undersizing the mag well to make USGI mags fit a little tighter to reduce debris ingress....meaning the PMAGs wouldn't fit, so they came out with the EMAG and Gen 3 PMAG which has a slimmer body to allow seating in the tighter magwell.

    ETA: Just to be clear I'm not saying your buddy has an HK, but some manufacturers do intentionally make their magwells tighter...and even among those that don't, one example might be particularly tighter than another if using the earlier PMAGs.
    One of my many gripes toward the HK416 was its peculiarities toward magazines. Im sure that reasoning makes sense to the no compromise engineers. But when you get boxes of mags, and have to go through them to see what ones fit.

    HK mags also always fit fine in 416s, so do they not do the dust thing with their own stuff?

    Cost outweighs the miniscule benefit.

    Some industry types had relayed to me, the increased wall thickness was to compensate for the fact the tan and green dye being used in PMAGs degraded the durability of the plastic, so they had to beef it up.

  6. #66
    Site Supporter rob_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE FL
    got one of the many spam emails from Magpul the other day that no amount of smashing "unsubscribe" seems to dissuade, and I saw that they have a 60 rounder, which got me to thinking about this thread and the 60 round Surefire mag they sent me some 10+ years ago it seems like.

    Stepping up from the 30s, what's the going suggestion for the 60s?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    got one of the many spam emails from Magpul the other day that no amount of smashing "unsubscribe" seems to dissuade, and I saw that they have a 60 rounder, which got me to thinking about this thread and the 60 round Surefire mag they sent me some 10+ years ago it seems like.

    Stepping up from the 30s, what's the going suggestion for the 60s?
    The Magpul D60 drum seems to be the go-to 60 round magazine. I donít have one, I also only have the Surefire. I havenít put many rounds through it so I canít speak to its reliability. I have heard of more issues with the Surefire than the Magpul though.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

  8. #68
    I remember reading about Pmags not dropping free and it was blamed on the mags and out of spec lowers or overloaded or counterfeit mags. If Magpul designed them to seal out dust, they sure were quiet about it.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Stepping up from the 30s, what's the going suggestion for the 60s?
    I'd still favor a redimag, and two good 30 rounders, over a single 60. Not an answer to your question, I know

  10. #70
    Site Supporter rob_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE FL
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'd still favor a redimag, and two good 30 rounders, over a single 60. Not an answer to your question, I know
    I would too, and my suppressed ninja gun collecting dust in the safe wears a RM & two 30-round NHMTGs with 28 rounds each of something or other...

    But outside of that, 60 round mags are fun, and if they run they are more fun, and if they run when they are fun they may be more likely to get some "serious use".
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •