Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

In regards to the PMAGs, do the color of the mags affect the material strength? I remember reading somewhere that the FDE mags are inherently weaker than the black mags due to the coloring process. I like the window version of PMAGs but this thread makes me wonder if that is also an inherent weakness. So far I haven't noticed any premature cracks in the body due to the windows.

I do remember reading something similar. I believe that is what lead Magpul to eventually stop production of most of the colored mags. I remember reading that the Sand and MCT colored mags were the only ones that had the same strength/durability as the black ones. I donít know why they stopped selling the Sand ones but Iím guessing they just werenít popular with customers since they were an off-white and you were expected to dye them in whatever colors you wanted after purchase. I was able to snag 10 for pretty cheap once they were discontinued.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    In regards to the PMAGs, do the color of the mags affect the material strength? I remember reading somewhere that the FDE mags are inherently weaker than the black mags due to the coloring process. I like the window version of PMAGs but this thread makes me wonder if that is also an inherent weakness. So far I haven't noticed any premature cracks in the body due to the windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I do remember reading something similar. I believe that is what lead Magpul to eventually stop production of most of the colored mags. I remember reading that the Sand and MCT colored mags were the only ones that had the same strength/durability as the black ones. I donít know why they stopped selling the Sand ones but Iím guessing they just werenít popular with customers since they were an off-white and you were expected to dye them in whatever colors you wanted after purchase. I was able to snag 10 for pretty cheap once they were discontinued.
    The colored PMAGs were definitely not as durable until you got to the Gen3 polymers. The Gen2s definitely had this issue, and as noted, it is why they got discontinued. The Sand and MCT are actually stronger than the black, IIRC; I know the sand was definitely advertised as such. The dyeing aspect did not take off as hoped, and thus they were eventually discontinued due to the lack of sales as guessed (to my great annoyance when it comes to AR-10 mags, as they don't make the 25 rounders in MCT).

User Tag List