Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    The Lancers look sexy and I like their hybrid material design. If I was starting from scratch they would be tempting but I’d probably just go with P Mags or Brownells, whichever was cheaper.
    I know I don't shoot much compared to most people here, and I get to shoot rifles even less. That said, I have had significantly better success with PMags than Brownells magazines. As in, somewhere around 5 or 6 thousand rounds through two 6920's with zero malfunctions with PMags and several (at least seven) B-mags that caused failures to feed when brand spanking new. One Brownells magazine fed the first round correctly, malfunctioned on the second, and when I pulled it out of the rifle the partially fed cartridge twisted one of the feed lips. Lifetime of the magazine: one round. Great....

I do admit that the B-mags that appeared to be functional during initial testing just keep on working very reliably so far. And I do admit my round count is extremely low compared to most people here. But such a distinct experience in magazine reliability between the two brands is kind of difficult to just shrug off. I would recommend, if the situation is such that availability of magazines in the future can't be assured, to pay for current production gen 3 PMags.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Gen 3 Coyote mags are the issued mag for both the USMC and USAF going forward.

One advantage to Gen3 Pmags, besides fixing the double feed issue is the over insertion stop. In a recent Green Ops carbine class I watched a guy on track for the fastest time in the El Prez drill over insert a Gen 2 and lock up his rifle such that it took 2 people to clear.
    Anyone got any idea why Magpul continues to produce the Gen 2 mags? Is it for the same reasons as why Glock carries on with Gen 3 pistols i.e., legislative reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Anyone got any idea why Magpul continues to produce the Gen 2 mags? Is it for the same reasons as why Glock carries on with Gen 3 pistols i.e., legislative reasons?
    One reason may be that the overinsertion stops prevent the G3 mags from seating fully in some lowers. Eg. Gen1 Noveske. (Don’t ask me how I know).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    One reason may be that the overinsertion stops prevent the G3 mags from seating fully in some lowers. Eg. Gen1 Noveske. (Don’t ask me how I know).
    I also recall that they don’t work in some non-AR rifles that take AR mags and that do still work with M2. I don’t specifically remember which ones but I think it’s one or more of the bullpups out there and maybe a weirder conventional rifle or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    they don’t work in some non-AR rifles that take AR mags
    Beretta ARX for sure, unless you file/sand that lip off the G3 version

When folks say "GI mags" is there a specific vendor/maker they're looking for?

I bought half a dozen or so OKAY Surefeeds a bit ago and like them. But I want to pick up 10-20 more mags. I'm leaning towards splitting the difference and picking up 10x PMAGs and 10x Surefeeds.

One thing to keep in mind RE aluminum/GI mags: they are much less forgiving of being dropped. I was working dry mag changes with snap caps in the garage even standing on a piece of carpet. Mags were D&H. Empty mag hit the carpet out of the gun, flipped onto the concrete floor and dented the feedlip, rendering the mag useless.

That was my “back to pmags” moment.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I bought half a dozen or so OKAY Surefeeds a bit ago and like them. But I want to pick up 10-20 more mags. I'm leaning towards splitting the difference and picking up 10x PMAGs and 10x Surefeeds.
    I think of the USGI magazines, OKAY Industries tends to be generally considered the most well regarded OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind RE aluminum/GI mags: they are much less forgiving of being dropped. I was working dry mag changes with snap caps in the garage even standing on a piece of carpet. Mags were D&H. Empty mag hit the carpet out of the gun, flipped onto the concrete floor and dented the feedlip, rendering the mag useless.

That was my “back to pmags” moment.
    I won't be getting rid of my USGI mags but have only bought Magpuls or Lancers for a while now and generally subjectively prefer them over USGIs (have had issues with neither personally).

Did they eventually add the 2nd rib to stop the round tilt issue mentioned earlier to the M2/moe pmags as well as the M3s or is that an M3 only feature?

I won't be getting rid of my USGI mags but have only bought Magpuls or Lancers for a while now and generally subjectively prefer them over USGIs (have had issues with neither personally).
    I don't know enough about polymer to know one way or another, but I think there's a difference between long term and short term durability. I only use pmags right now, but the long term "just in case" stash is all NHMTG aluminum still new in wrapper. The aluminum mags have been around long enough to know how they'll perform in 20 or 30 years. Pmags have only been around for about a decade and a half. I have no doubt pmags will handle abuse better than aluminum. I have no idea how they'll compare after sitting on a shelf for a decade or three.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

D&H are fine - because again - they are a consumable /disposable item.

User Tag List