Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I believe I mentioned magazines are consumables in an earlier post - also that I'd rather pay $9-10 bucks versus $3-5 (minimum) more.

Right now, I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for MY particular needs.
    If cost is the primary motivator for sticking with aluminum mags, you can find Gen M3 PMags for under $11 a piece. Several forum members, myself included, have purchased 5-packs of tan mags from DSG Arms for $54 ($10.80 each). These five-packs have been priced the same throughout the entire pandemic so far and regularly come back in stock. DSG also allows for back orders. I’m sure a little bit of searching will show other retailers with similar prices but I haven’t put the time in to do so.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I believe I mentioned magazines are consumables in an earlier post - also that I'd rather pay $9-10 bucks versus $3-5 (minimum) more.

Right now, I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for MY particular needs.

My mags aren't carried as part of the same basic load out for days on end, either in a patrol unit, mil vehicle, or dismounted patrol.

My mags are used in rotation, by the numbers, reloaded with -2, and put back at the end of the order. I keep four to six beater mags loose for loading as needed with less rounds for range drills.

I rarely, almost never, drop a mag on a hard surface, and almost never step on a mag (admittedly more of a problem with aluminum mags than pmags).

So the plethora of aluminum mags I have suit my needs.

I haven't had to dump one of my numbered mags for puking rounds, but have had the experience of a beater mag puke rounds upon over vigorous insertion.

I figure don't seat the mag like you are trying to beat demons from the rifle, don't routinely drop on hard surfaces, and don't step on them too much, aluminum USGI's run right in MY wheelhouse, based on a semi-informed decision, which is what I would encourage.
    If you don’t have a feed lip gauge a good test for GI aluminum mags is to load to 30 and give the mag a sharp tap on he base. If the rounds dislodge at all it means the feed lips are start to spread. If it actually pukes rounds it’s time to go to mag heaven.

Hammertime
    I seem to recall a thread documenting heavy full auto use at a "machine gun" range in Vegas on Arf.com or something where the range owner said the standard metal GI mags worked best, at least in that application in that application?

Me personally I use Aluminum, but my use is light. And they could work in the FS2000 as well. Which I finally sold so that excuse is gone. No complaints.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I buy M3s here.

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?m..._4191340829622

It's a local business. Have ordered several times, always good service. Hard to beat the price, even with TX sales tax included. Given that M3s come with the clips to prevent the feed lips being stressed if the mags are kept loaded, I see no point in buying M2s. Plenty of stock at this time.
    Thanks! Have been trying to find 10 round pmags in stock.
    Not only in stock, but at $10.26/each, low priced. Savings vs Academy (out of stock) covered shipping.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you don’t have a feed lip gauge a good test for GI aluminum mags is to load to 30 and give the mag a sharp tap on he base. If the rounds dislodge at all it means the feed lips are start to spread. If it actually pukes rounds it’s time to go to mag heaven.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    If cost is the primary motivator for sticking with aluminum mags, you can find Gen M3 PMags for under $11 a piece. Several forum members, myself included, have purchased 5-packs of tan mags from DSG Arms for $54 ($10.80 each). These five-packs have been priced the same throughout the entire pandemic so far and regularly come back in stock. DSG also allows for back orders. I’m sure a little bit of searching will show other retailers with similar prices but I haven’t put the time in to do so.
    Thanks for taking the time to post that info.

Years ago I bought up enough USGI's to last a good while. I have about a hundred - mostly Brownells. For that reason I'm pretty much locked into them.

My neighborhood LGS frequently has 10 packs for sale at not awful prices. M3 and M3 windowed as well as OKAY Surefeeds and E2s.

https://store.readygunner.com/produc...gm3bundle-3413

https://store.readygunner.com/produc...dowbundle-3413

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    My neighborhood LGS frequently has 10 packs for sale at not awful prices. M3 and M3 windowed as well as OKAY Surefeeds and E2s.

https://store.readygunner.com/produc...gm3bundle-3413

https://store.readygunner.com/produc...dowbundle-3413
    While the $12 per regular mag isn’t the best deal around right now, I think $13 per windowed mag actually might be the lowest price I’ve seen windowed GenM3 PMags go for.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

In the FWIW column: Last week, ran through a bunch of Hornady TAP that had been loaded in 30-round PMAGs since 2008, with a lot of that time riding around in various car trunks, with zero issues.

My regular go-to is a small pile of five 20-round PMAGs from the same era, zero issues with several thousand rounds through them- unlike a set of 5 Brownells’ 20-round mags that started failing to lock the bolt back after a few months of use, in several of M4 pattern carbines I rotate (Colt 6920, Colt SOCOM, Bravo, and RRA).

All those carbines run perfectly with the “torture tested” old 20-round PMAGs, but the Brownells have been slightly disappointing. I suppose new springs and followers might fix them, because the bodies are in great shape, but with the PMAGs working so well, I haven’t bothered.

I bought a bunch more of the gen-3 20-rounders a couple of years ago and those are still in their bags, waiting for one of the old ones to go down. Hasn’t happened yet.

are there any worthwhile upgrades to Surefeed 20 mags?

User Tag List