Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Botach has Surefeed E2s for $9.98 each at this time.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

And they also have cute little 10 rounders for $14.98

Are the E2's GTG? I might get a couple just to try the texture.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

...Based on my experience in manufacturing and business, if I knew that a tolerance on my part varied such that a noticeable fraction of my user base would have sub-par performance when using it with what is likely the most popular version of an accessory necessary for it to operate, I would take steps to tighten that tolerance to eliminate the problem, at least to the extent that doing so did not take it outside of whatever set of specs I needed to say it complied with...
    Over the weekend I gathered up about 30 Gen M3s and tried them in a known tight lower that I have, that is tighter than the BCM I also have.

About half the Pmags would not drop free.

I have a box full (nearly 100) of Colt, Okay, and Brownells legit usgi mags and I tried about half of them and quit after no more than zero did not drop free.

I’m going to put the blame mostly on the mags.

I use Lancer mags for "serious use*", and as backup a few stainless steel Okay mags. I have some Pmags that I keep for range use & plinking.

* I'm a chef not a SEAL so take this as you like.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Okay mags are aluminum.

Yeah, brain fart. Mine are ASC; my bad!
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Site Supporter
    Weapon Outfitters has SOLGW steel mags for $15. I have no experience with them but I like the idea of steel mags for serious use (which for me is sitting in the safe as a "just in case" home defense gun, so not that serious) so I ordered 10. Hoping they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Weapon Outfitters has SOLGW steel mags for $15. I have no experience with them but I like the idea of steel mags for serious use (which for me is sitting in the safe as a "just in case" home defense gun, so not that serious) so I ordered 10. Hoping they work well.
    The SoLGW steelies are made by Duramag, which have not had the best of reputations; their lineage derives from the much maligned C-Products magazine line. I'll stress that I've not heard anything directly negative about them, aluminum or steel, as they're a relatively new company, but I don't really see the point of steel AR-15 mags, either; AFAIK, they're actually about as susceptible to damage to the feedlips when dropped as aluminum, due to the excess weight. I remember the H&K Maritime mags being much maligned, too, despite being steel and of high quality manufacturing.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-20-2021 at 07:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I use Lancer mags for "serious use*", and as backup a few stainless steel Okay mags. I have some Pmags that I keep for range use & plinking.

* I'm a chef not a SEAL so take this as you like.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The SoLGW steelies are made by Duramag, which have not had the best of reputations; their lineage derives from the much maligned C-Products magazine line. I'll stress that I've not heard anything directly negative about them, aluminum or steel, as they're a relatively new company, but I don't really see the point of steel AR-15 mags, either; AFAIK, they're actually about as susceptible to damage to the feedlips when dropped as aluminum, due to the excess weight. I remember the H&K Maritime mags being much maligned, too, despite being steel and of high quality manufacturing.
    Well, shows what I know. I guess I just assumed quality from SOLGW.

User Tag List