Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

Site Supporter
    Personally, I like using Lancers for training mags. First, they come in purple, which is both easy to see on the ground and easy to differentiate from everyone else’s, and second because I am not 100 percent convinced of the two piece design. Having said that, I have yet to have an issue, including full auto suppressed.

For work purposes I use the latest gen windowed Pmags for my barrier blind rounds, and Okay or DH for green tip/penetrator rounds. This allows me to instantly ID by touch what I am loading.

I do use some 20 round Pmags on my low profile kit. I have had no issues with the slightly curved mags, but honestly the straight profile mags worked fine for me as well.
    Polite Professional

I have never heard of a problem with the two pieces of the feedlips separating, but I have seen feeding issues due to the poor choice of polymer for the body, combined with the design of the follower, and the feed geometry that tries to mimic the original GI mags. They actually built a very tough magazine but it is also probably one the least reliable mags out there.

I would not consider them viable for any serious use.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I have never heard of a problem with the two pieces of the feedlips separating, but I have seen feeding issues due to the poor choice of polymer for the body, combined with the design of the follower, and the feed geometry that tries to mimic the original GI mags. They actually built a very tough magazine but it is also probably one the least reliable mags out there.

I would not consider them viable for any serious use.
    You're speaking of the L5AWM? I haven't encountered feed issues, so I'm curious to hear your experience.

For me they've been more difficult to seat that M3 Pmags, but just as reliable(which means no failures suppressed or otherwise). The smaller size works better for double pouches and the clear/translucent body is convenient for my gun game of choice.

The latest rev M3 Pmags and L5AWMs are all I use anymore. GI mags just don't seem to last and definitely don't deal with dust and dirt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    You're speaking of the L5AWM? I haven't encountered feed issues, so I'm curious to hear your experience.
    Same here. Actually, PMags have caused me more feed/seat issues when they get really dirty from suppressor crud. I download both to 28, and find the L5 AWMs easier to seat.

Of course my uses are low stakes, with no one shooting at me. I'm always eager to hear about issues with gear I think I can count on.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Sand. IME a little sand will stop a Lancer long before a Pmag.

For nasty suppressed use I don’t think anything beats a good tan follower GI mag.

I kinda shied away from the Magpul followers for GI mags when I cleaned some up with acetone and they melted.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The dust cover is not for feed lip stress reduction when loaded. It is to protect the feed lips from damage and against intrusion of environmental factors.

Source: https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/diffe...-magpul-pmags/ (can also be found at P&S, and is a great read overall)
    A sample of one and not scientific, but I had a Gen1 PMag fully loaded in my garage for 7 years. It ran fine and still does.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Well, recognizing a need to continue building my magazine assortment, particularly when there isn't ammo, components, or guns to buy...

I ordered 10 Gen3 windowless PMags and five Gen3 300BO mags, to compliment an assortment of Surefeed 20s and 30s (my go to right now) and a stack old school Master Molder 20s (range/training).

That takes me up to just shy of three dozen AR mags. Of which more than half should be 'serious use' capable.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Is that per rifle, or just a good start?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Is that per rifle, or just a good start?
    Both? I only have one STANAG 5.56 mag accepting gun here (Rattler).

The other AR is a Colt SMG pattern gun. Which I only have half a dozen mags for...but they're steel and generally very robust mags overall, I'm not worried about killing a half dozen of those in my lifetime unless I start going hard at PCC (in which case I'd switch guns anyways).

A friend showed up the other day with a brand spanking new AR "custom built" by somebody I never heard of - which isn't hard in this era of assemblers - and his Pmags were tight in the well, having to be pushed in and pulled out. I tried one of my bona fide USGI surplus and it slid right in and dropped right out. Sorry, I don't know "generations" of plastic products.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List