Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I guess I made a couple USPSA guys mad

Considering the FAST is shot from full concealment, there is more to it than just pure shooting skill.
    There are a lot of high level shooters who never draw from concealment.
    Heck I know a lot of high level shooters who don't even own a gun that they could conceal, much less a holster and are well practiced in clearing cover.
    Another thing I've noticed is many of the top shooters aren't any faster or more accurate on the trigger than a good B shooter. Shaving .05 off of your splits and .15 off your draw doesn't add up to enough time over a stage to separate a B from a GM. Where the A's and GM's are smokin fast is how they move through a stage and engage targets.
    The FAST is a stand and deliver test from concealment and I can totally see how someone who primarily shoots IPSC competition could flub it.

OK guys, I need to apologize for some misinformation. I spoke to another friend that was there to confirm that some of the shooters were GM's. He told me that the highest ranking guy was a Master and the rest were C, D, and U...so no GM's were in the group.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    OK guys, I need to apologize for some misinformation. I spoke to another friend that was there to confirm that some of the shooters were GM's. He told me that the highest ranking guy was a Master and the rest were C, D, and U...so no GM's were in the group.
    Big difference.

I'm kind of surprised that a USPSA Master Class shooter couldn't do it - I'm B-class in Single stack and I can manage sub-5 second runs in practice with my Single Stack rig (not from concealment).

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I can manage sub-5 second runs in practice with my Single Stack rig (not from concealment).
    Now add in the draw from concealed and a reload from concealed and getting it done under 5 consistently is MUCH tougher.

Drawing from my USPSA rig, I can usually get the 1st hit on the 3x5 card in around 1.4 or less seconds if I'm having a "good day". Good reloads are 1.8-1.9, and splits are around .25. I can run the splits down to .18-.20 but that increases the odds of tossing one of the body hits.

Most of those numbers don't come from shooting FAST itself, but from shooting drills where I'll draw to a 3x5 card at 7 yards, or do a 1-reload-4 drill on an 8 inch circle.

ETA: I'll run the same series of drills this evening from concealment using my IDPA CDP rig.

We are diminished
    ETA: I'll run the same series of drills this evening from concealment using my IDPA CDP rig.
    So what you're saying is that you personally guarantee that you'll win a coin this weekend, is that what I'm reading?

No pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    So what you're saying is that you personally guarantee that you'll win a coin this weekend, is that what I'm reading?

No pressure!
    What it sounds like to me. Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

No pressure!
    /facepalm - I suppose I stuck my foot in it on that one.

I'm treating the chance to win a coin like I treat any skill test - my only goal is to perform to the maximum of my skill while remaining safe.

That being said, I am going to try my damnedest to win a coin.

That being said, I am going to try my damnedest to win a coin.
    Good luck.
    My friendly advice is to get a good solid run in AM day 1, don't push for the coin just get a good, clean run in to get your confidence up.
    Go for the coin day 1 PM, you'll be fully warmed up but not tired from two long days of shooting.
    I screwed it all up by trying too hard, too soon.
    In practice I was a solid low 5 shooter and if I pushed just a little I could turn out high 4's.
    The best I could do in class was a mid-6 clean.
    I managed a 4.85 day 2 PM, but threw a few shots just outside due to being tired and unfocused. By the end of day two you also have a lot of new techniques you're trying to incorporate so that messes with your mind.

User Tag List