Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I guess I made a couple USPSA guys mad

I guess I made a couple USPSA guys mad

I was talking to a friend today that shoots USPSA and he mentioned that I "made a couple guys mad."

He proceeded to tell me that after I mentioned the FAST drill to him, that he and a couple Grand Masters tried it and could not do better than 9 seconds, even after trying several times. I smiled and said "It's a tough one isn't it!" then proceeded to let him know that it is a proficiency drill, not a practice drill.

-Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

As has been mentioned before, being a GM in USPSA, unfortunately, doesn't actually mean a whole lot about your overall shooting ability.

Having said that, I'd be VERY surprised to meet a GM (paper or otherwise) who couldn't shoot FAST in under 6 seconds.

We are diminished
    Having run a number of GMs through the test, in my experience most of them go faster than they can reliably guarantee 100% hits. The time penalty for poor accuracy is brutal on the FAST compared to IPSC scoring.

I'd agree with SLG, a GM who stops trying to beat Sevigny's record and instead shoots guaranteed hits for all six shots is certainly likely to turn in an Advanced score without breaking a sweat.

No doubt that there are some quality USPSA shooters out there, my point was that the FAST drill is difficult. They made the same mistake many of us do and focus on the time rather than accuracy.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My mistake. You're saying they over revved their engines and racked up penalty time. I can see that, but after a run or two, surely they figured out to dial it back?

If you really want to piss off some IPSC shooters shoot "Limited", "Unclassified" with a stock H&K P2000 9mm, including 13 round magazines.
    Run it from full concealment, in my case it was AIWB from under a T-shirt.
    Do all that and beat out everyone except the top 3 "Open" class shooters who happen to be an "A" and two "B's" in the overall match standings
    If you win a stage that is a pure speed, draw to hit a low percentage target, it's icing on the cake.
    The guys with race holsters and $5000 comped, RDS guns love it when you do that.

Banned
    Yeah, I'm sure legit USPSA GM's who average sub one second draws, who regularly practice head shots at 35 yards, and who can hit sub one second reloads would really struggle with beating 9 seconds on the FAST drill.

I mean, let's not forget that the current record holder is also a USPSA GM, and that we can easily find videos of other GM's (Ben Stoeger, Mike Seeklander) shooting some pretty impressive times.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If you really want to piss off some IPSC shooters shoot "Limited", "Unclassified" with a stock H&K P2000 9mm, including 13 round magazines.
    Run it from full concealment, in my case it was AIWB from under a T-shirt.
    Do all that and beat out everyone except the top 3 "Open" class shooters who happen to be an "A" and two "B's" in the overall match standings
    If you win a stage that is a pure speed, draw to hit a low percentage target, it's icing on the cake.
    The guys with race holsters and $5000 comped, RDS guns love it when you do that.
    What was the club and what was the date of the match? I'd be curious to see the match results on the USPSA website.

Ditto the above. Especially since USPSA doesn't recognize mixed division results.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Especially since USPSA doesn't recognize mixed division results.
    This is the official USPSA policy, but many clubs post overall results. The club where I used to shoot in NM, possibly where Jody is shooting, always posted overall results.

User Tag List