Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

Some good replies. I think perhaps my aversion to the 48 is aesthetic. I think the long slide Glocks that extend past the dust cover are the most ugly Glocks ever produced. I view the 48 as a 3/4 size 34 not a slim 19. Maybe that’s why I think it’s dumb.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    This is why I haven’t purchased an example of either yet. I get the appeal of modularity from a production standpoint but I wish the G48 had a longer RSA that was optimized for its respective slide length. I know the FBI eventually found a G43X configuration that proved reliable enough to approve but, as far as I know, they’re still restricting the guns to a single type of ammunition because of reliability concerns.
    Correct.

Site Supporter
    Living in limited mag state for handguns and long arms, my perspective is that the slimmer Glocks aren't appealing. This is idiosyncratic to moi. First I shot the slim guns and they were nothing special. I had to pay attention to my grip as I found them a bit squirmy. That is correctible. Being a FOG now, I carry a G26 OWB on my left hip with a flopping cover. IWB or AWIB doesn't work for me for anatomy or need to buy new pants just for the gun (not going to happen). Pocket carry can be a G42 or J frame. The 43 doesn't seem that pocket friendly to my wardrobe. I also have a G17 that will be my USPSA production gun (HORRORS!). I shot the 26,19,17 set for many years.

Also, one of my major long arms given where I live is my Ruger PCC 9mm. It's my pick up home SD gun. I ditched my AR when I came here and have a Mini-14 for 223 but decided that the Ruger was the pickup gun (there's a shotgun around for whatever). The Ruger will also be a competition gun when we get to go outside. Thus, I have a great number of compatible handgun and long arm magazines.

I like to keep things simple and don't need to multiply guns. LIke I said, this idiosyncratic to me. The 26 went on a hike through a neat, marsh, pond full park today with a cover shirt. Worked fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I’ve been kicking this around for a while- I thought the 43X and 43X Rail/MOS was a decent addition to the Glock line up. Slim, small, decent handling guns that could really fill a niche. Then I saw the 48 and I continually ask myself “why”. The 43X has an overall smaller footprint than a 19, better grip characteristics than a 26, with the same factory capacity, this gun ‘makes sense’ to me. The 48 doesn’t. Longer than a 19, similar footprint, granted thinner, but most folks who would buy a 48 or carry a 48 probably carried or would carry a 19. My dept just outfitted our secret squirrel group with 48s. They wear them in Blackhawk Retention style holster- not exactly a concealed carry design. This made no sense to me. The guns footprint is almost identical to a 19, you’re carrying it OWB, no rail 5 less rounds of capacity- why? Someone change my mind. I know these guns are supposedly the “bee’s knee” but I don’t understand the allure.
    The Glock 48 is very likely to become the new hotness when our Dear Leader and his minions stuff another AWB down our throats. I like mine and am getting used to it, since I travel to lots of 10 round states for business.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

its a single stack g19. It is what I carry 99% of the time and am putting a 507k on mine right now. I keep mine stock, with 10 round mags, and feel confident I could handle any situation that is thrown toward me as a normal civilian. I do carry a spare mag

my other pistols are g17s that are going to be cut to g19 length with red dots also.. I shoot both so similarly that the g17s hardly get shot..

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Some good replies. I think perhaps my aversion to the 48 is aesthetic. I think the long slide Glocks that extend past the dust cover are the most ugly Glocks ever produced. I view the 48 as a 3/4 size 34 not a slim 19. Maybe that’s why I think it’s dumb.
    No kidding?

I find a G48 has...Classic proportions.

Name:  F7FE05DD-BFF8-49A5-ADA8-C8216C7643BE.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  31.6 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It lookslike a single stack 19 but it is not. The 48 uses the same RSA as the 43 and 43X which means it’s cycle of operation has a much more narrow timing window than a G19.

All of the guns with the G43 RSA system are much more ammo sensitive and prone to malfunction than a G19.
    You're making me rethink my plan to liquidate a hoard of 3953s.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Hot Cereal, from a logical point of view, the G-48 makes sense for those in restricted states who want a full size pistol with a ten round capacity.
    Considering the 48 is Canadian legal in stock configuration I don't think you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The Glock 48 is very likely to become the new hotness when our Dear Leader and his minions stuff another AWB down our throats. I like mine and am getting used to it, since I travel to lots of 10 round states for business.
    Makes you wonder if Glock know a thing or two... haha just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    No kidding?

I find a G48 has...Classic proportions.

Name:  F7FE05DD-BFF8-49A5-ADA8-C8216C7643BE.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  31.6 KB
    Still, Glock= ugly, Ruger SR1911= Classic. I think it's the continued slab design of the Glock I find ugly. The scalloped 1911 slide is classic. Call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    its a single stack g19. It is what I carry 99% of the time and am putting a 507k on mine right now.
    Same here. My 507k is hopefully en route from Brownells today. Are you having the slide milled or do you have a 48 MOS?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It lookslike a single stack 19 but it is not. The 48 uses the same RSA as the 43 and 43X which means it’s cycle of operation has a much more narrow timing window than a G19.

All of the guns with the G43 RSA system are much more ammo sensitive and prone to malfunction than a G19.
    Exactly why I wouldn’t trust a G48 for carry and the 43X feels like a small gun when you shoot it, so neither have a purpose for me.

Shoot them for a while then shoot a G19 or even a G26 and it literally feels like twice the gun.

The little, curled beaver tail thing is perfectly positioned to dig into the meat of my hand, too. Pass.

User Tag List