Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

*shrugs* Mine hasn't been a jamming POS yet. If it does become one, I'll send it down the road. I'd carry the 19, 45, or 17 if I could comfortably under a T-shirt with no printing. People say they do it, but I must just have a weird body (6'5" and 210 lbs). I can carry a 19 in a button-up short-sleeve shirt or polo, and I do when going out to eat or something. But dog walks and yard work called for something flatter. I'd love to have a lightweight commander in 9mm. For some reason, I think getting one of those that runs as well as a POS 48 would end up being a lot more expensive. lol Maybe not... *shrugs* I don't think I'm viciously defending anything... I don't care what people carry, nor do I think that I know anything about anything. lol I don't think I shoot it as well as the 19, but I shoot it a lot better than the j-frame I was using in the same role. Not quite as light, but hides how I need it to...

Is there another gun out there besides the 48, 365 XL, lightweight commander/cco, or maybe the new S&W that gives you a full firing grip and is flat? A Kahr maybe...?

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The gun community is collectively regressing in handgun design, both in performance and reliability.

Glock can build a jamming POS and they’ll sell every single one they make and people will happily carry them and viciously defend their choice.

I didn’t mean that the 48 was a jamming POS, just that the world in general couldn’t be bothered with improving handgun reliability right now.

I carry a 48 myself.

My apologies for misunderstanding.

I didn’t mean that the 48 was a jamming POS, just that the world in general couldn’t be bothered with improving handgun reliability right now.

I carry a 48 myself.

The gun community is collectively regressing in handgun design, both in performance and reliability.

Glock can build a jamming POS and they’ll sell every single one they make and people will happily carry them and viciously defend their choice.

As evidenced by people using aftermarket magazines and mounting lights on a gun that the FBI said don't bother testing with a light on it cuz we know it doesn't work.

Picking up a new G48 this week.

Have no objection to the factory 10 rd mags for now.

Plan to leave gun “stock” for foreseeable future, possible add the Ameriglo bold. Presuming I don’t “need” to Immediately change anything to improve reliability? If that presumption is wrong, what’s the recipe?

In order to have the greatest potential for reliability, what’s the “correct” carry ammo to feed this thing?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Plan to leave gun “stock” for foreseeable future, possible add the Ameriglo bold. Presuming I don’t “need” to Immediately change anything to improve reliability? If that presumption is wrong, what’s the recipe?

In order to have the greatest potential for reliability, what’s the “correct” carry ammo to feed this thing?
    I have been using 115 Gold Dot in 43, 43X, 48, 365 and 365XL, based on a prev thread on PF.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Yeah, dunno. You'll see a bunch of different experiences. Mine, the only thing I would consider a must do is an SCD and some Talon grips, pro or rubber. I'd shoot what you have available, and see how it goes? I mean it's not like SD ammo is easy to find, or cheap.

I only have 865 through mine, mostly AE115, BB124 and AE124, with some HPs. I have had two fail to feed malfunctions. One was near the end of a mag of Gold Dot 115s. The other was more recently, on the third of 10 rounds of previously reliable Gold Dot 124+ps.

My confidence rebuilding plan is to head to the range with the GD124+p, some Federal 147 HST, and some AE124 and shoot enough of that to convince me all is well. Not sure what to think if I have any further malfunctions. I milled it for an optic, but if the optic is causing problems, it's not a good carry option, obviously. Which is weird because the G48 MOS is designed (or at least I hope, tested by Glock) with an optic in mind. I also haven't ruled out a random magazine fart with the mag that had the malfunction, or phase of the moon, or the RSA is getting tired, or I forgot to clean the slide channels out of some gunk, or I dunno what.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I wonder if there is enough interest for a company to tool up and make an aftermarket slide with a longer recoil spring that goes to the end of the slide and is cut for a dot mounting system.
    Brownells is now offering slides for the 48 but I assume they are OEM RSA. I don't think it would be that difficult to retool for a full length RSA. It is just finding a company that sees there is a market large enough to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'd shoot what you have available, and see how it goes? I mean it's not like SD ammo is easy to find, or cheap.
    I’ve been working out of the same case of 124 grain Gold Dots for... Christ probably like a decade. Conventional wisdom says that’ll get me killed in the food court but to date every time I go back and grab some bullets out of that case they go bang. One exception was using them in my PCC a few months ago but I’m going to chalk that up to PSA bullshit (there have been other ammo sensitivity issues with this upper).

I went looking around online for the 115gr that GJM recommended but haven’t found any. I’ll probably just try the 124s since I have them and see how they do. IIRC they are “+p” 124s so I’m not terribly excited about shooting a whole bunch of them.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been using 115 Gold Dot in 43, 43X, 48, 365 and 365XL, based on a prev thread on PF.
    What do you use in Shields? Are they less fussy in your experience?

User Tag List