Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

For me the 48 works better than a 19 for my needs. It is thinner and lighter while still giving the same sight radius,barrel length thus ballistics and with the Shield S 15 mags the same exact capacity. All this in a package that allows me to reach and use the slide catch and magazine button more easily and without changing my grip so my reloads with a 43X/48 are the fastest and most consistently smooth as any other gun I have shot. When it comes to comparing or choosing the 48 over a 43X it gets real tough for me as the 43X has all the grip benefits and I shoot it as well as the 48. I also like how the slide cycles on the 43X as it seems to return nicer to point of aim where the 48 seems to recoil less and with less muzzle rise but slower. I really wish Glock would use a full length RSA as I believe that would make it about perfect and improve it for recoil/response feel.

In the end I am using a Sig 365 most of the time and looking for a 365XL since I think it splits the difference between 43X and 48 almost perfectly while using a longer RSA and appearing to have less issues with reliability,striker and primer drag than the 365 had early on.

Site Supporter
    Hot Cereal, from a logical point of view, the G-48 makes sense for those in restricted states who want a full size pistol with a ten round capacity. It also makes some sense for those who value thinness as a priority in concealment and for those who may just shoot the thing better.

Why did your agency purchase them for the secret squirrel unit? I would venture unit prestige. After all, Secret Service supplies the G-48 to some personnel so it may increase the coolness factor of the unit. Why is the chief of my former department the only one packing a G-26? I'd venture because he hadn't heard about the G-48.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thinness for AIWB concealment is the reason for my interest.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Similar to others, I found the Glock 48 to be much easier to conceal AIWB than the 19 was. I don't view the 10 round magazine as much of a compromise, since I frequently carry J-Frames.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Thinness for AIWB concealment is the reason for my interest.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I know these guns are supposedly the “bee’s knee” but I don’t understand the allure.
    It's a G19 with 10-shot factory mags that actually work.

That checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people, more so if mag limits go into effect.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

G43x is dumb because if you’re going to actually carry it in a concealed holster, you need a holster that’s longer than the muzzle because the slide is on short and could easily flip around over your belt. So you need a G48 sized holster to carry a g43x properly.

Since it’s taking up the same profile, might as well put a g48 in the g48 size holster.

Change my mind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    People have been fussing at Glock to make a single stack 19 for some time. That's what the G48 is. Not saying it's for me, but it's a reason.
    It lookslike a single stack 19 but it is not. The 48 uses the same RSA as the 43 and 43X which means it’s cycle of operation has a much more narrow timing window than a G19.

All of the guns with the G43 RSA system are much more ammo sensitive and prone to malfunction than a G19.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It lookslike a single stack 19 but it is not. The 48 uses the same RSA as the 43 and 43X which means it’s cycle of operation has a much more narrow timing window than a G19.

All of the guns with the G43 RSA system are much more ammo sensitive and prone to malfunction than a G19.
    This is why I haven’t purchased an example of either yet. I get the appeal of modularity from a production standpoint but I wish the G48 had a longer RSA that was optimized for its respective slide length. I know the FBI eventually found a G43X configuration that proved reliable enough to approve but, as far as I know, they’re still restricting the guns to a single type of ammunition because of reliability concerns.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Re: Ammo: The only ammo-related malfunction I've had was with Speer Gold Dot 115 standard pressure loads. I got a hang up on the last round in a mag:

Name:  IMG_7962.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  25.9 KB

The 115 was once-chambered carry ammo from a different pistol (P365) I wanted to try at the range. I have had no malfunctions with 115 and 124 AE, as well as 124+p Gold Dot or 147 HST. Pistol is on 659 rounds.

User Tag List