Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Yeah man I ran two of them on two Sim
    Guns for over a year in every single evolution which is about 2400 full contact ground
    fights in the dirt and I never saw a problem.
    @Hot Cereal
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I remember very well. That's why trusting any company, including Glock, makes no sense to me.

I don't trust SIG or Glock. Or Beretta, or FN, or HK, or CZ, or S&W.. They all have products they have gotten right and products they have gotten wrong.

I don't trust any gun because brand X makes it or because I want it to work.

I was pretty clear that The Glock slim line guns have a place if one is realistic about what they are and are not. Saying a SCD makes it worth staying within the window of ammo and mags that run reliably in a G48 is perfectly realistic.

The issue I have is the assertion that a G48 is equal to a G19 "because it's a Glock" meaning it will tolerate the same range of ammo and accessories without compromising function. That is just not true.
    Jesus Christ, this is tedious and you’re enough to drive a man insane. Mine runs great. It also has the SCD and no Sig India parts which are just gravy to me. Insofar as WHAT I DIDN’T SAY regarding “ window of ammo and mags that run reliably in a G48”, here’s what works in mine. All SD ammo and all of my reloads in factory and S15 maga. I don’t want the gun to work, the gun just works. As you’ve pointed out, I’m pretty loud about Glocks that don’t work. So how about not putting any more words in my mouth, @HCM? I don’t appreciate having my integrity questioned.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    People are too obsessed with capacity. Those Shield mags have pretty stubby followers. The spring is almost 100% compressed. It seems like a recipe for shit to not work when it is supposed to work. The guys at Shield arms have a lot of “really close/good friends” in the YouTube/Internet schilling community for me to really take any of the information they provide reliable. I’ve heard the gamut from “totally fine”, to “won’t lock the slide back on empty” to “can’t get through a mag without a FTF”. I don’t think 5 rounds is really worth that. I’m not going to say Glock couldn’t have squeezed 2 more rounds in the magazine, they probably could. I definitely think they were targeting the Glock 48 at capacity restricted areas and the 4.17in barrel really makes me think they were targeting Canada, which is also 10 rounds. Logistically it was probably cheaper to just make a 10 round magazine instead of a 12 and 10 round magazine.
    Even if you don't use them, they're desirable and could be flipped for some cash if you got everything at low cost.

Honestly with 10 round mags only, my 48 is NOT smaller-enough than a 19 to justify losing 5 full rounds. Might consider it if capacity restricted to 10, but still I think a 26 carries smaller (in appendix) and I think shoots better for me.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did your agency have a personally owned weapons policy in the past?
    We have one now, but it doesn't apply to your main duty pistol while in uniform*. Plain clothes, back up guns, off duty guns, and long guns can all be personally owned with in certain guidelines. For handguns, no SAO, nothing longer then 5" barrel, .380 to .45 (including .45 Colt), must pass an armorer inspection. Even if you don't carry it, you are still issued a Glock and you must still qualify with it at least twice annually. We currently issue the 17M to everyone, although there was a time when you could opt for a compact Glock if you weren't in uniform.

The benefit to carrying an issued gun is if you shoot someone you get a replacement while your gun is in time out in the property room. They actually bring you a replacement handgun directly to the scene so you aren't walking around with an empty holster, then you go qualify with it once available to do so. It's psychologically satisfying to be immediately re-armed.

*technically the Chief of Police can authorize exceptions. I know of zero exceptions, but I also don't know anyone who's tried to get one.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

All this talk about the SCD. If reholstering is that much of a concern ditch striker guns and go with a hammer gun.
    Gimme a hammer gun that's sized like G48 and can take an optic. XD-E don't need to apply.

Until then, G48 or G43x, SCD, recoil spring assembly change every 2K, no +P ammo, and I may test drive a Fat Shield when the price is not $700.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can tell you with roughly 3x that many officers and similar round counts 2-3 times a year, I don't think the issue was overblown. Mine would choke about 1 time in 50 with a WML attached, flawless without. 180 gr quality factory ammo. I had/have zero issues with a Gen 2 or Gen 4 or M.
    Did you notice if the people experiencing the malfunctions also experienced slide bite? I had a couple malfunctions with mine on the first shot from the holster and I get terrible slide bite from Glocks. I specifically remember getting bit badly each time. I doubt this has anything to do with the WML malfunctions, but I wonder if a combination of the WML and resistance from the shooters hand (slide bite) can do enough to screw with slide velocity and induce malfunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For work, yes V2. But I've run V1's as well. The other thing about LEM is to run it at a high level, you need to shoot LEM exclusively. The weird thing is the thing that helped most with LEM issues was DA revolver shooting.
    I suppose defining a high level is subjective, but I don’t think you need to shoot LEM exclusively to shoot it well. While it most certainly is different, fundamentals don’t change. That’s where I think firearms training is failing. People aren’t being trained to shoot well, they’re being trained to shoot X brand/make/model well and then have a hard time transitioning to something different. (Why I think the LE world is so myopic to Glock) You mentioned the DA revolver making you better. That makes perfect sense. I understand what you’re saying and why you’re saying it, because it’s true for a lot of people. IMO, SFA guns and SAO guns can mask poor fundamentals.

This Gadget talk got me looking through some old pictures. Here is full on Gadget testing on Kodiak.

Name:  D4136943-C854-4A7C-B42B-1CC8C5D6DA67.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  45.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Did you notice if the people experiencing the malfunctions also experienced slide bite? I had a couple malfunctions with mine on the first shot from the holster and I get terrible slide bite from Glocks. I specifically remember getting bit badly each time. I doubt this has anything to do with the WML malfunctions, but I wonder if a combination of the WML and resistance from the shooters hand (slide bite) can do enough to screw with slide velocity and induce malfunctions.

I suppose defining a high level is subjective, but I don’t think you need to shoot LEM exclusively to shoot it well. While it most certainly is different, fundamentals don’t change. That’s where I think firearms training is failing. People aren’t being trained to shoot well, they’re being trained to shoot X brand/make/model well and then have a hard time transitioning to something different. (Why I think the LE world is so myopic to Glock) You mentioned the DA revolver making you better. That makes perfect sense. I understand what you’re saying and why you’re saying it, because it’s true for a lot of people. IMO, SFA guns and SAO guns can mask poor fundamentals.
    To shoot a LEM at a high level you don’t need to sell everything else, you just need to sell all your timers. There was a time hammer HK guns were the clear leaders in accuracy, reliability and durability, and the LEM was the best trigger they offered on those pistols. Now so many pistols are accurate, reliable and durable, there are many good choices.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We have one now, but it doesn't apply to your main duty pistol while in uniform*. Plain clothes, back up guns, off duty guns, and long guns can all be personally owned with in certain guidelines. For handguns, no SAO, nothing longer then 5" barrel, .380 to .45 (including .45 Colt), must pass an armorer inspection. Even if you don't carry it, you are still issued a Glock and you must still qualify with it at least twice annually. We currently issue the 17M to everyone, although there was a time when you could opt for a compact Glock if you weren't in uniform.

The benefit to carrying an issued gun is if you shoot someone you get a replacement while your gun is in time out in the property room. They actually bring you a replacement handgun directly to the scene so you aren't walking around with an empty holster, then you go qualify with it once available to do so. It's psychologically satisfying to be immediately re-armed.

*technically the Chief of Police can authorize exceptions. I know of zero exceptions, but I also don't know anyone who's tried to get one.

That’s way more liberal than I thought an agency the size of yours would be. Even if it doesn’t include uniform guys.

Could you add an SCD to your duty gun?

There are some downsides to carrying a POW, but overall I prefer it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Did you notice if the people experiencing the malfunctions also experienced slide bite? I had a couple malfunctions with mine on the first shot from the holster and I get terrible slide bite from Glocks.
    The only thing I've ever experienced slide bite with was a PPK, so no. I did not see anyone else with slide bite either. Note not every gun had the issue, but a fairly large percentage did and if the gun was an issue it didn't matter who's hands it was in. Of course, like every Glock issue they initially said "limp wristing" but that was horseshit. Then they blamed the magazines and swapped them out, no difference.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List