Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    What do you use in Shields? Are they less fussy in your experience?
    The 124 +P Gold Dots that imperfect, feel and have worked fine in the four inch Shields.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I’ve been kicking this around for a while- I thought the 43X and 43X Rail/MOS was a decent addition to the Glock line up. Slim, small, decent handling guns that could really fill a niche. Then I saw the 48 and I continually ask myself “why”. The 43X has an overall smaller footprint than a 19, better grip characteristics than a 26, with the same factory capacity, this gun ‘makes sense’ to me. The 48 doesn’t. Longer than a 19, similar footprint, granted thinner, but most folks who would buy a 48 or carry a 48 probably carried or would carry a 19. My dept just outfitted our secret squirrel group with 48s. They wear them in Blackhawk Retention style holster- not exactly a concealed carry design. This made no sense to me. The guns footprint is almost identical to a 19, you’re carrying it OWB, no rail 5 less rounds of capacity- why? Someone change my mind. I know these guns are supposedly the “bee’s knee” but I don’t understand the allure.
    I have half a dozen students so far that can not run a G19 efficiently due to hand size, but can run a G48 really well.

That's reason enough.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I have shot 200 rds of Federal 147gr HST (standard pressure) through my 43x, along with around 2,000 rds of 124gr and 147gr FMJ ball ammo, and have had no issues at all. This was using Shield Arms 15rd mags with +10% mag springs and the Shield Arms steel mag release. Here is a review of the Glock 43x, and I feel the same about the 43x as the reviewer does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEeyuNUZ1Hk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have half a dozen students so far that can not run a G19 efficiently due to hand size, but can run a G48 really well.

That's reason enough.
    Okay, but they could also experiment with other double column magazine designed semi-auto pistols that are much smaller and more ergonomic than a Glock 19. If one can handle an M&P, APX, PPQ, etc., why bother with a 10 shot gun if the initial plan was to use a 15 shot pistol? Because it says “Glock” on the slide? Not enough for me. Everyone (Sig? LOL) makes a reliable SFA pistol these days.

RE: Sheilds, I've pretty much run only 147 through my G1 since I've got it, and no fuss, no muss.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The 124 +P Gold Dots that imperfect, feel and have worked fine in the four inch Shields.
    Darn Siri, the 124+P Gold Dots that I prefer, have worked fine in the four inch Shields.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Okay, but they could also experiment with other double column magazine designed semi-auto pistols that are much smaller and more ergonomic than a Glock 19. If one can handle an M&P, APX, PPQ, etc., why bother with a 10 shot gun if the initial plan was to use a 15 shot pistol? Because it says “Glock” on the slide? Not enough for me. Everyone (Sig? LOL) makes a reliable SFA pistol these days.
    In short, for me anyway, yes.

I’m not up on all the new hotness in compact pistols, and can’t be bothered to be. I frankly don’t even know what an APX or PPQ are without googling them (which I won’t), then figuring out how they compare size-wise, winding up with another goddamn spreadsheet...

Or I just wait until my favorite dealer, who happens to be 3 hours away round trip now, shows one in stock on his website upon a random check and click “buy”.

For this old busted guy, the fact that it says “Glock” on the slide actually *is* enough.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    In short, for me anyway, yes.

I’m not up on all the new hotness in compact pistols, and can’t be bothered to be. I frankly don’t even know what an APX or PPQ are without googling them (which I won’t), then figuring out how they compare size-wise, winding up with another goddamn spreadsheet...

Or I just wait until my favorite dealer, who happens to be 3 hours away round trip now, shows one in stock on his website upon a random check and click “buy”.

For this old busted guy, the fact that it says “Glock” on the slide actually *is* enough.
    You should give the Google-Fu a try and check out some of the newer offerings. I am very impressed with the APX. Very nice, well refined SFA that has exceptional ergonomics, is controllable, reliable, accurate and 100% designed for hard use. I used to be in the “it has to be Glock” camp, but ventured out and haven’t looked back.

You should give the Google-Fu a try and check out some of the newer offerings. I am very impressed with the APX. Very nice, well refined SFA that has exceptional ergonomics, is controllable, reliable, accurate and 100% designed for hard use. I used to be in the “it has to be Glock” camp, but ventured out and haven’t looked back.
    not worth the squeeze.

I've been around long enough to have "ventured out" many times and always come back, with nothing but a reduced bank account and some useless esoteric knowledge to show for it.

The faster one learns that there ain't nothing new under the sun, and that ubiquitous and status quo are a value so much greater than any incremental MOAR, the earlier one can retire.

all that stuff you list (controllable, ergonomics, accurate, "hard use"...) it's all just red herrings designed to separate you from your cash.

The Glock itself was the first remarkable innovation since the early DA/SA guns, and those the first since the 1911, and that the first since the DA revolver, and that since the SA revolver. People in between all those major jumps *thought* they had something special all the time, but it's because they lacked the perspective of the long game (so much easier to see in hindsight, I'll grant you) to know what they were doing was just spinning wheels.

ETA:
    took your bait and googled APX. What a silly gun.

and it's far more of a Glock 19 competitor than a Glock 48 competitor, which makes it all the more sillier.

Name:  2021-05-11 10_04_44-Book1 - Excel.png
Views: 621
Size:  4.5 KB
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-11-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

If you want to hate Glocks just say so.

For a couple of the people I spoke of they also needed a retention holster.

Try to find support gear for an APX, etc.

Going with a solid, easy to shoot well, easy to get armorer support for, extremely easy to detail strip for cleaning, easy to get parts/sights/holsters/etc for choice IMHO vastly outwieghs a theoretical advantage in a few more BBs.

That and the SCD, aka Gadget, was more than enough for me to stay with the Glocks.

I don't even really like Glocks, detest the corporate culture there for the most part, have a well known reputation for bashing on Glock .40cal pistols, but for the most part their 9mms and .380s actually fucking work.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List