Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    -- Glock said not to bother with lights or extensions, because they knew beforehand that the guns would not pass testing while equipped with them.
    And here I was holding out for a railed 48. LOL

Makes me wonder how they fair long term with an optic bolted on. Which I have no interest in whatsoever but many do.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Have any other small (shield, hellcat etc) 9's been tested?
    By FBI, no.

By My agency, the SIG P365 and P365 XL, both or which have been exceptionally reliable both in testing and in use. IME full size Glocks are more reliable and more tolerant of ammo variation than the P320 but in slim line guns the reverse is true and SIG is the clear winner there.

Only two issues we've seen with the P365s have been some had issues out of the box with takedown levers being rough and causing field stripping issues and some have oversized rear sight dovetails causing the rear sights to shift under recoil. The takedown lever issue seems to have gone away and may have simply been a bad batch of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    By FBI, no.

By My agency, the SIG P365 and P365 XL, both or which have been exceptionally reliable both in testing and in use. IME full size Glocks are more reliable and more tolerant of ammo variation than the P320 but in slim line guns the reverse is true and SIG is the clear winner there.

Only two issues we've seen with the P365s have been some had issues out of the box with takedown levers being rough and causing field stripping issues and some have oversized rear sight dovetails causing the rear sights to shift under recoil. The takedown lever issue seems to have gone away and may have simply been a bad batch of parts.
    Do the 365s have a different SKU's for the government contracts like the 320s do? Whereas the civilian 320 SKUs are not authorized?

Do the 365s have a different SKU's for the government contracts like the 320s do? Whereas the civilian 320 SKUs are not authorized?
    No there’s no special SKU like there is with the P320. Personnel can purchase commercial P365s and P365XLs. The SAS isn’t authorized. The guns have to be examined by an armorer and can then be placed into service after qualifying.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

G43x (not G48)

My personal experiences shooting black and silver slide pistols since they were introduced (2 years):
    8000+ rounds fired among 4 guns
    2 silver slides were NP3'd and have an RMR mounted (1 year)
    Never had any reliability issues from any of the guns, slick slide or RMR
    OEM magazines and Shield Arms S15
    Guns carried EDC, used for practice, used in multiple classes, and shot regularly in IDPA matches
    Only caveat- 115 and 124grn ammo ONLY (standard pressure and plusP). NO 147grn AMMO.
    My experience, my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Only caveat- 115 and 124grn ammo ONLY (standard pressure and plusP). NO 147grn AMMO.
    And that is the dealbreaker for me. If a gun requires special types of ammo, that is a no go.

Interestingly my G43 ran perfectly with HST 147.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I can't say the G43x won't run 147grn ammo. I don't use it, so I can't say it will run it either.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Not correct.

I went straight to the horse's mouth on this. The only reason the 43/43X's are restricted to 135gr +P Critical Duty is because of the (lack of) performance of the G2 from the short barrels. It has nothing to do with function/reliability. It was explained to me that that G2 was performing like ball ammo more often than not out of the 43/43X's.

This is correct, but not because of any FBI testing-- Glock said not to bother with lights or extensions, because they knew beforehand that the guns would not pass testing while equipped with them.
    The ammo info you have is counter to what I have been told also "from the horse's mouth" but the significant issue is that regardless of ammo type it took multiple attempts and successive modifications to get the slim Glocks to pass the standard.

The impression that, as an earlier poster stated "they are running like any other Glock" leads to people running G48s as duty guns as described by the OP upthread. A G48 with 15 rounds does not equal a G19.

Given the performance I've seen from G43s in service, with our duty ammo, I question why / how my agency ever approved them in the first place. Those same issues I've witnessed are why I stuck with my J frame as long as I could and never put my G43 on the books as a BUG despite running a G17 by choice. My personal example has been 100% reliable but based on the ones I've seen in service it's either a unicorn or I haven't shot enough duty ammo through it.

Re: lights and mag extensions- I never said the prohibition was based on agency testing, but the fact that those items, common on service sized guns are prohibited because they cause reliability issues goes to my point which is that the 43 RSA system guns are not the equal or, or replacements for, service sized guns in terms of functional reliability. Given the 3rd generation G22's issues with WML and multiple generations of magazine modifications it's not surprising.

With stock 6/10 round mags and vetted ammo, the slimline guns have a place, but users need to weigh whether or not what they bring to the table is worth the trade offs.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-23-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    And that is the dealbreaker for me. If a gun requires special types of ammo, that is a no go.

Interestingly my G43 ran perfectly with HST 147.
    I went through my Training Journal just now, looking for what ammo I ran through the G43X while I had it:

AE9DP 115
    AE 147 Flat Point
    Speer GD 115 standard pressure
    Speer GD 124 standard pressure
    Federal HST 147

Total of that through the G43X was 608 rounds at the time I sold it. By far the most I shot was the AEDP9 115 American Eagle FMJ, but I'd say since it was my carry gun, I recall shooting several mags of carry ammo which at the time would have been the 147 HST. No malfunctions; this is a pretty small sample, just adding a data point in re 147 ammo and the G43X. Obviously not an institutional user or associated with an organization like @HCM and @TC215 who will have much broader perspectives. I'm just a random schmuck.

I'd shoot more carry ammo through the G48 but my children need to eat. FWIW the Federal HST 147 also seems to run without issue (so far) in the G48; but I have a box or two of the Speer Gold Dot 124+p I am running at the moment. When/If I get through that, I'll revert back to the box or two of the Federal HST 147 I have put away for a rainy day.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    No there’s no special SKU like there is with the P320. Personnel can purchase commercial P365s and P365XLs. The SAS isn’t authorized. The guns have to be examined by an armorer and can then be placed into service after qualifying.
    Correct. No special P365s or P365XLs.

No AD/Drop-safe issues either.

What ever 'special sauce' SIG put in the p365/365XL, I wish they would put it into a P320 sized gun, brand it the P320 2.0. and sell it as their duty gun in place of the current P320.

User Tag List