Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

I’ve been kicking this around for a while- I thought the 43X and 43X Rail/MOS was a decent addition to the Glock line up. Slim, small, decent handling guns that could really fill a niche. Then I saw the 48 and I continually ask myself “why”. The 43X has an overall smaller footprint than a 19, better grip characteristics than a 26, with the same factory capacity, this gun ‘makes sense’ to me. The 48 doesn’t. Longer than a 19, similar footprint, granted thinner, but most folks who would buy a 48 or carry a 48 probably carried or would carry a 19. My dept just outfitted our secret squirrel group with 48s. They wear them in Blackhawk Retention style holster- not exactly a concealed carry design. This made no sense to me. The guns footprint is almost identical to a 19, you’re carrying it OWB, no rail 5 less rounds of capacity- why? Someone change my mind. I know these guns are supposedly the “bee’s knee” but I don’t understand the allure.

Site Supporter
    I was going to say for IWB carry that makes sense from a slimness factor.

OWB. I simply don’t understand. Unless they’re expected to carry IWB normally. ETA: normally IWB, but buy their own holster and the department issues an OWB holster to give them something in the interim. (End ETA)

I dunno. A Glock 34 is more comfortable to me than a Glock 19.

I would not have believed that until I tried it.

I waited years to buy a 34 because I thought it would *only* be used for gun sporting events.

I carry the thing all of the time.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I like the 48, and generally carry mine OWB. I like the grip shape, it reminds me of a 3913 or even a 1911. I shoot it better than a 19, too. Horses for courses.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The ONLY reason I am interested in a 43X/48 is because of the 15 round magazines by Shield Arms. Otherwise, snooze.

At this time I can only afford to add one new pistol to my collection. I want a gen5 G17 for a nightstand/range gun but I am thinking about a G48 that a friend is selling for a reasonable price to try it for a carry gun with the 15 round mags.

Single Stack G19

People have been fussing at Glock to make a single stack 19 for some time. That's what the G48 is. Not saying it's for me, but it's a reason.

I carry a G48 AIWB every day in a Dark Star Hitchhiker.

I owned and shot a G19.5, G26.5, and a G43X. All three of those have been sold off. All I have now is the G48 for carry and a G34.5 for USPSA. The G19 went to fund a transition to the G34. The G26 I carried daily AOWB, but I never warmed up to shooting it. Too fat and dumpy. The G43X was "the one"(or so I thought) however, I never enjoyed shooting it with carry ammo; it felt very snappy to me. It got sold to fund a hot three day weekend fling with a P365XL. This fizzed out, so the XL got sold for the G48.

The G48 is my goldilocks gun. It is easy to shoot well, reliable, accurate, sufficient capacity at 10+1 (for me) and an upgrade path to 15+1 via Shield mags. I find it extremely soft shooting; which is weird, because its the same RSA as the G43/43X. Must have something to do with the timing? So far I have only added sights and a Tau Industries SCD. Plus a set of Talon rubber I am meh on. I love it.

I am in the middle of transitioning to dots, having ordered a Forward Controls Plate and Holosun 507c v2 for my G34, because dots r kool. And I can't see the damn front sight anymore at age 62. I just ordered a Holosun 507k for the G48 from Brownells. Since my 48 is an older, non-MOS model, I plan to have the slide milled for the optic.

Site Supporter
    I've owned and sold both the 43X and 48. Neither were smaller enough than my G19 for my use. I've added a pair of P365's and am much happier with the G19/45 / P365/P365XL combo.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I dunno. A Glock 34 is more comfortable to me than a Glock 19.

I would not have believed that until I tried it.
    I get what you mean. Back in my .40 days, I sold my 27 when I realized the 23 and 22 were more comfortable to carry IWB. Not quite as concealable, but noticeably more comfortable.

My guess is it spreads the weight over a larger area and results in less of a pressure point.

Slimmer pistols make sense for some folks’ hands/fingers. Gen4+ Double-column-mag Glocks, with none of the add-on back-straps installed, are right at the maximum volume that I would want to use, for serious defensive purposes. I have size L hands, but my fingers are size M. I can see that some folks, with just slightly shorter index fingers, than mine, might well want a slim-line Glock, but not, necessarily, one with such a chopped-off grip. I trained/evaluated some female rookies, with quite small hands, for whom the authorized duty pistol choices, all wide-body, double-column-mag, were handSguns, not handguns.

Some number of my female officer colleagues, who were the better, more-enthusiastic shooters, and had been hired before the 1997 change in duty handgun policy, kept their K-Frame and L-Frame duty revolvers “grandfathered.” With my size M fingers and thumbs, I understand why. (For that matter, I had sometimes wished I had grandfathered my K-Frame and GP100 duty revolvers. I spent a ton of money on autos, unnecessarily, motivated by the quest for “the best.”)

My arthritic right hand has aged-out of willingly shooting compact nines, and I traded-away my three G19 pistols last year*, but if I buy a slim-line 9mm Glock, for lefty-only shooting, it will be a G48.

*I can still shoot my G17 and G19x Glocks, right-handed, as they have “orthopedic-length” grips.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-22-2021 at 01:26 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    People have been fussing at Glock to make a single stack 19 for some time. That's what the G48 is. Not saying it's for me, but it's a reason.

Exactly! The G48 is slightly easier for me to conceal IWB than a G19 due to the thickness and I prefer how it handles than my G26.5 (Though I am trying a GeePlate now, so I may change my mind TBD).
    My buddy has a G48 and shot a G43X last weekend and thought the 43X was much more snappy than the 48. I have not shot them side by myself.
    IMO options are good, try everything you can and buy the one that works for you

User Tag List