Thread: Large vs. Small Carry Guns - Gun Guys with Bill Wilson and Massad Ayoob

Large vs. Small Carry Guns - Gun Guys with Bill Wilson and Massad Ayoob

Power and precision, or comfort and concealability? High capacity and versatility of application, or ease of access and maneuverability?

I watched at 2x speed and I think that video was appropriate for 2018...

That’s why things like the G43x with S15 magazine and P365 were such game changers.

Put red dots on them and you really only give up a little bit of shootabilty to a larger gun while negating the capacity and sight radius issues.

I’d just say vet your equipment and if you’re not able to pass standard PF drills with your small carry gun, consider practicing more or carrying a larger gun (or accept the trade off a la pocket snubby).

I carried a Kimber Micro 9 before the P365 came out and I would run FBI qual drills with those compared to larger guns to quantify where I was losing points so I could have an informed choice.

"Power and precision, or comfort and concealability? High capacity and versatility of application, or ease of access and maneuverability?"

Uh..I get all that with a G19.

And as JCN rightly points out, we have more options for sidearms than ever, there are plenty of guns that do all that. That p365 he carries IS small and light, but holy crap watch some of his vids....smokin'.

This "compromise" idea is dated.

I used to think in terms of "concealable carry pistol vs. solid fighting pistol"......20 years ago.

Then I evolved.

Site Supporter
    I agree with much of the above sentiment. It is 2021 and even so far back as guns like the G19, P07, PX4C and such there was basically no reason to compromise on carrying a shootable gun. Then companies like Custom Carry Concepts and JMCK and Keepers Concealment and Dark Star Gear came around and produced gear that gave us basically no reason to compromise on even carrying a larger gun.

I regularly carry a full sized 1911. During the restlessness in 2020 I would occasionally strap on the full sized Langdon Tactical with a 20 round reload, and carry it all appendix underneath a t shirt with shorts on.

I can conceal a CZ-P07 in a spandex shirt. I am not even joking. That's how good JMCK holsters are.

Theres basically no reason not to buy the gun with the exact characteristics you want and to conceal it pretty easily unless it's some sort of big ass N frame.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

In the category of timers and targets don't lie. The subject they did not discuss at all, that has ended up being the most important factor for me is the impact of the small grips on acquisition, to draw to first shot, and then shot to shot.

For the short frame Kahr's, the G43, the G42, the P938, the P290, LCP, etc. I found all of them to have a grip that was too short and too small for me to acquire a good grip on the gun during the drawstroke and to maintain good control shot to shot, or just too short, thin, narrow, whatever for good trigger management in general. This was even a problem for me with the G43X although not as bad with the others, I could get it out of the holster fine, but shot to shot I could not control it as well, did not manage the trigger well.

No so for me with the Shield, the PPs (model 1), P365, Officers size 1911, or the G26 where I always seem to get a good grip coming out of the holster (belt or pocket) and managed to control the gun shot to shot and I can perform half way decent in terms of trigger control.

At what point am I willing to give up "shootability" which includes the draw stroke for concealability, the answer is only extreme NPE environments.

When talking about concealed carry, one word sets the stage for everything that follows...tradeoffs.

Great video.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    No so for me with the Shield, the PPs (model 1), P365, Officers size 1911, or the G26 where I always seem to get a good grip coming out of the holster (belt or pocket) and managed to control the gun shot to shot and I can perform half way decent in terms of trigger control.
    Your comment on the PPS M1 rings true for me as well. I carry mine in a JMCK #3 IWB and find it conceals well with the 7-round mag, and is very comfortable to carry. Though I do prefer the 8-round mag for attaining a better grip, it tends to print noticeably more than the 7-round.

I also have a 5-inch PPQ M1 and a JMCK #3 IWB for it as well. Along with the obvious capacity, sight radius and ballistic advantages, I find the larger gun easier to handle and manipulate, and speedy mag changes are a breeze. With a 15-round mag, it's equally comfortable to carry and really no more difficult to conceal.

So why not use the PPQ as my EDC? For me, it comes down to these factors;

• Like mentioned in the video, the sights snap into alignment much faster with the PPS
    • The PPS clears the holster faster with less chance of snagging
    • In an arm's length scenario, there isn't much for an assailant to grab hold of on the PPS forward of the trigger guard
    • I can shoot the PPS with as much speed and A-zone precision out to 21 feet as the PPQ

For a day at the range, competition, battling a horde of zombies, etc. the PPQ is a no-brainer. But for the mostly likely self-defense scenario I might face, I still feel the PPS is my best bet.

User Tag List