Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A300 and slugs

Does your gun have the moon shaped cuts on top of the receiver?

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/ber...-black/c61275/

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Honestly I don’t know yet. It’ll be my first year hunting deer. Shotgun is the law locally. Trying for deer local (shotgun) and upstate (rifle)
    What is the terrain where you'll be using the shotgun? With a smooth bore I'd use either Foster or Brenneke Slugs. Sabot slugs in a smooth bore don't have any spin to stabilize them and tend to keyhole and group poorly. You need to try differing brands as shotgun barrels will often shoot one better than others.

Here are a couple of fairly informative articles for general info:

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammu...tgun-slugs-101

https://buckmasters.com/Magazines/Gu...oing-Full-Bore

You’re the best. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Gun came with full, improved cylinder and modified. Which would you suggest? Beretta suggested Full for turkey so I went and checked and it was a joke. So I figured aftermarket again was the answer.
    You need to try your gun, your slugs and your chokes to see which works best. You can shoot Foster or Brenneke slugs through any of those, I would expect best results in the IC or the M, but have had guns that shot slugs best with Full chokes.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Like others have said, not sure of terrain and typical shot distance where you are located. Most shots in Upper Great Lakes don’t go much past 50y-60y. I can count on one hand with fingers left over the shots beyond 100y. You certainly may be hunting on the edge of a pasture or something that would drastically change this obviously. You definitely want to be humane, but a whitetail isn’t a T-Rex either. A slug of any kind in the boiler room is going to most likely drop them very fast if not immediately. I took a nice 6pt this past November with a .35rem at at about 70yds. He jumped straight up about a foot, landed like a sack of potatoes, and kicked once. Done. If you were hunting something that might bite back, I’d probably be a bit more picky on ammo selection but in your case, any slug you can keep on a paper plate at (pick your range) will be plenty.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Like you, the shots will be close as well. Flat, wooded areas. I’ll go get some slugs and try them with the chokes I have now.

Read before you buy a rifled tube, because my recollection is that there isn't much improvement.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

At most I was just going to get an aftermarket choke.

User Tag List