Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A300 and slugs

A300 and slugs

I haven’t gone out and tried to shoot slugs with my A300 so idk how it shoots them but I’m curious:

Is there a down side to using my A300 for local slug gun deer hunting? I was going to get a Cylinder choke (comes with improved, modified and full chokes not just “cylinder”, as to save money for hunting clothes and gear and ammo.

Is there a downside to doing this other than wielding the long bbl? Trust me I’d love “more guns like a Savage 220 slug gun” but it’d leave me with no money for hunting stuff I’d need this year.

I just looked and Carlsons actually makes a rifled slug choke tube for the Beretta:

https://www.choketube.com/choke-tube...0Choke%20Tubes

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Shouldn't be. Within typical slug use distances you can find slugs that will shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards through cylinder bore barrels with 870s. I've not done it with an A300, but I suspect it's much the same story.

Using the mentioned rifled choke isn't a bad idea.
    3/15/2016

Try the slugs with the chokes you have first, you may not even need a new choke tube.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Try the slugs with the chokes you have first, you may not even need a new choke tube.
    Gun came with full, improved cylinder and modified. Which would you suggest? Beretta suggested Full for turkey so I went and checked and it was a joke. So I figured aftermarket again was the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Gun came with full, improved cylinder and modified. Which would you suggest? Beretta suggested Full for turkey so I went and checked and it was a joke. So I figured aftermarket again was the answer.
    I'd try 'em all. IIRC it is safe to shoot slugs with "full" chokes and those with less constriction. Shotguns are such individual creatures that you may find it shoots lights out with a particular slug, with a particular choke. Beretta's barrels are certainly more consistent than my price-point Mossberg 500, but still the A300 that rolled off the assembly line right after yours may shoot the same slug completely differently. This was why my agency abandoned the idea of making our 870s slug only guns.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

“Slugs” is a generic, what type are you using?

“Foster”, Brenneke and sabo slugs are all different animals and give different performance.

If you’re shooting Foster slugs I’ve had the best luck with IC chokes.

Honestly I don’t know yet. It’ll be my first year hunting deer. Shotgun is the law locally. Trying for deer local (shotgun) and upstate (rifle)

Please report back how it works... my deer gun is a scoped H&R Slug Hunter, but I have an A300 too. It is far more enjoyable to shoot and I often wish that Beretta made a slug barrel with sights to fit it.

User Tag List