Thread: Shot My 617 For Steel Challenge Today

Shot My 617 For Steel Challenge Today

Not my best day but I sure did have fun today shooting my S&W 617 during out monthly Steel Challenge Match.

As long as it took to get use to the red dot sights, I can see having to spend a lot of time dry firing to get use to irons.

I could see my misses before I shot them but was in a too fast to go zone that I didn't just watch the front sight and hit the target. Our last stage was Smoke And Hope and I nailed it for me. One shot one hit per target and I had a decent score.

I used my DS-10 Speed Loaders throughout the match. I used Federal HV Gold Ammo and didn't have one failure. I still need to focus on that front sight to make sure I get my hits. When I did I had one for one hits on the stages.

Very cool. What modifications have you done to the 617?

Quote Originally Posted by Kustom View Post
    Very cool. What modifications have you done to the 617?

Thanks. Lots of modifications to this gun. The biggest is an Apex Tactical Mass Drive Hammer which is supposed to let the Double Action trigger pull down to around 6.5 pounds. It works with some ammo but not all so my trigger is a bit heavier at 8 pounds 6 ounces and will fire just about anything.

All of the internal parts have been stoned. There is a Powers Custom extended firing pin and a Hogue extended safety. The grips are either Hogue Big Butt wood or the same grip in rubber with the finger grooves sanded off to fit my hand better.

Forcing Cone is cut to 11 degrees and the muzzle has been crowned.

The springs are Jerry Miculek spring kit with an extended 8/32 set screw to get the pull I want. I also use a 12 pound rebound spring.

That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    Thanks. Lots of modifications to this gun. The biggest is an Apex Tactical Mass Drive Hammer which is supposed to let the Double Action trigger pull down to around 6.5 pounds. It works with some ammo but not all so my trigger is a bit heavier at 8 pounds 6 ounces and will fire just about anything.

All of the internal parts have been stoned. There is a Powers Custom extended firing pin and a Hogue extended safety. The grips are either Hogue Big Butt wood or the same grip in rubber with the finger grooves sanded off to fit my hand better.

Forcing Cone is cut to 11 degrees and the muzzle has been crowned.

The springs are Jerry Miculek spring kit with an extended 8/32 set screw to get the pull I want. I also use a 12 pound rebound spring.

That's about it.
    Thanks for the info. A 617 is on my list.

Who did the work on your 617?

I would love to have a 617 reworked like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    I would love to have a 617 reworked like that.
    PM sent.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 07-21-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Reply sent.

CDD

Here's what mine looks like.

User Tag List