Thread: No Ammo at the General Store

No Ammo at the General Store

Out in West Texas and needed to buy Flat Fixit from the very small town general store that carries a little of everything. Asked for some 30-30. They had no rifle or pistol ammunition of any kind. No .270, no 30-06, no .45, nothing. They had four boxes of 12 gauge, but nothing that matched. Never thought I would see shortages this bad.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

There was a guy on another forum that was going on a 2500 mile road trip to find ammo in the mom and pops country stores. That goes along with the thinking that you can always find a box or two of of 30-06 in the country store. I guess he's burning a lot of gas and having a great time. Not sure if he was going thru TX.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Back in the summer, the owner of the reloading shop I used for transfers took a road trip through small town flyover states from SE TX up to Missouri to find ammo to buy and stock his own store's shelves.

They still had powders then. Last time I was in, I think there was a can of Pyrodex.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Mom and pop shops may have ammo still on the shelf during the beginning of a drought, but now they all seem to be getting starved out as allocations are focused to keeping the big accounts fed.

Nana's Bait'n'Pizza usually isn't winning the supply chain battle vs. Bass Pro-Cabelas.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    I did find (as I recounted elsewhere), 2 boxes of PPU 45 ACP 230 gr for $35 a box at a small town store. Bought it as the home supply was low. He had somebody's 223 for $35 for 20 rounds (had about 10 boxes). I didn't need that at that price.

I'm going to try to shoot some Red Army 9mm pretty soon. Made in the Czech Republic. Got it for $.40 at the beginning of the panic.

Two other local country and farm stores had zilch. Bass Pro did have some 50 AE. You have to hit them at the right time to find ammo. I did for 22 LR awhile ago. I just stop by in the neighborhood. Don't patrol it at opening time. If horrors, vaccinations and masks, bring the epidemic down, maybe the panic will subside (that's a hint).

User Tag List