Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snub recommendation for a new guy?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    I just signed up for the forum but have read several of the snubbie threads. I currently own just one gun (G17 G5) and am looking for something smaller to carry at the office.

I’m not from the US so my choices are very limited. Dealers/distributors here are not likely to replace faulty guns but will do their best to repair them. Factory parts availability is poor. So far, the following models are readily available.

1. S&W Model 60-14, current production variant
    2. Ruger SP101, 2.25” barrel with standard fixed rear sight
    3. Colt Cobra and Night Cobra
    4. Kimber K6 series, both the concealed and spurred hammer variants

(The only ones I’ve managed to rent and shoot are a Model 60 and an SP101. I thought the Model 60 needed grips that better fit my hand, while the SP101 needed more grip material behind the trigger guard and fewer sharp edges.)

From the threads l’ve read, any of these four makes can have issues from the box but are there one or two that seem to be less prone to QC issues? Do any of these have maintenance intervals that require major parts replacement (like the way old Colts needed hands replaced at the 3k mark)? FWIW, I plan to shoot only standard pressure ammo.

Also, guns sold here are very $$$ compared to US retail. The K6s, Model 60 and the SP101 are all priced close to $1500, the Cobra is about $150 more, while the Night Cobra is a little over $2k. Before parting with that much cash, I was hoping to get a better idea of what to expect (build and quality) from any of these modern revolvers.
    Are you limited on how many guns you can own ?

I’ve owned all of the guns you mention. If lack of support is an issue, the SP101 all day long.

It would be my last choice stateside, due to weight/capacity/ergonomics vs the others, but if it has to work without a trip back to the factory, and it has to last, the SP101 is the easy first choice.

I’ve also tuned all my GPs and SPs myself—gentle stoning of the internals and springs—with great results, and I’m all but mechanically inept.

I hope that makes sense.

Is the LCR in .357 available in the Philippines?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I only have experience with S&W from your list.

In the last 3 years I have purchased:

60-15 3" - No issues, traded it for 66-8 2.75" below
    63-5 3" - Spit lead very bad, returned to factory, fixed and shoots awesome now
    66-8 2.75" - Stupid heavy (but smooth) DA trigger, sold to a friend he loves it but only shoot in SA
    60-15 3" Pro - Bent crane, damaged extractor star, weird hitch in trigger, sent back to factory and repaired, hurt to shoot traded it for 66-8 4.25"
    66-8 4.25" - Incredibly light and smooth factory DA trigger, no issues at all other than being really big

So, you can see 60% of the new S&W guns have had issues for me. However S&W was extremely fast and helpful on turning them around quickly. But I am in the US.

The SP101 is the most user-serviceable option.

The SP101 is my personal favorite, and would be, regardless of user-serviceability factor.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

And it probably isn't going to need much service.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The SP101 is the most user-serviceable option.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SP101 for durability. Check for barrel/cylinder gap all five chambers. I had one a while back a WC edition and less than .003 thousands gap on some charge holes and less on others. .006-.008 barrel/cylinder gap. As Totem Polar said the rest is a matter of a little spring work and polish. I do love my Night Cobra thou.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    SP101 for durability. Check for barrel/cylinder gap all five chambers. I had one a while back a WC edition and less than .003 thousands gap on some charge holes and less on others. .006-.008 barrel/cylinder gap. As Totem Polar said the rest is a matter of a little spring work and polish. I do love my Night Cobra thou.

What does the barrel/cylinder gap issue cause?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What does the barrel/cylinder gap issue cause?
    Trade offs: a tight BC gap decreases velocity losses from gas escaping at the gap but a tight gap also increases the odds of debris or leading causing the cylinder to drag or even jam. General wisdom is .004" to .006" is about right. Back when I used to shoot Dan Wessons, with the removable barrels, I recall .002" being where noticeable problems really began to set in but there are variables at play like lead hardness, etc that I could see impacting where the undesirable zone is.

Although I don’t own one, I recently looked at a SP101 like you describe that was in the case at a local gun store. Nice gun. I have both Smiths and Rugers, although all of my revolvers (with the exception of an LCR) were bought used. I’m going to put another vote in for the Ruger.

Site Supporter
    My Taurus 856 seems like it’s going to be a decent gun, but if I had to be revolver focused, then I would get a DAO SP101.

Please Ruger make a six shot version! Even if it’s .38 only.

User Tag List