Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snub recommendation for a new guy?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Are you limited on how many guns you can own ?
    My current license allows me to own 5 guns (handguns, shotguns, and non-centerfire rifles), along with 50 rounds of ammo for each.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ve owned all of the guns you mention. If lack of support is an issue, the SP101 all day long.

It would be my last choice stateside, due to weight/capacity/ergonomics vs the others, but if it has to work without a trip back to the factory, and it has to last, the SP101 is the easy first choice.

I’ve also tuned all my GPs and SPs myself—gentle stoning of the internals and springs—with great results, and I’m all but mechanically inept.

I hope that makes sense.

Is the LCR in .357 available in the Philippines?
    Weight isn’t as much an issue as size and profile as I intend to carry AIWB (as I already do with a G17). I actually considered a Glock 43 or 26 instead of a snub but the 43s I’ve seen can be a little finicky after they’ve been shot a bit. The 26 is easier to shoot and more reliable than the 43. It’s a fallback option if I can’t find a good snub but I definitely want the round gun at this time.

LCR 357 not available right now. LCR 22, 38, 9mm are still in stock. Not keen on the 9mm snubs right now, although the ammo is easier to find and cheaper too (vs 38 Special.) I’ve seen only one 9mm snub at my local range (SP101) and the guy had issues with extraction even after getting his chambers finish reamed. He also complained that the factory moon clips seemed to get bent very easily. He let me shoot it and it was actually pleasant.

(Did not consider the LCR 38 as am avoiding alloy frames. My gut tells me they are still “carry a lot/shoot seldom” guns and I don’t have enough resources to devote to a steel trainer/alloy carry duo.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    My current license allows me to own 5 guns (handguns, shotguns, and non-centerfire rifles), along with 50 rounds of ammo for each.

Weight isn’t as much an issue as size and profile as I intend to carry AIWB (as I already do with a G17). I actually considered a Glock 43 or 26 instead of a snub but the 43s I’ve seen can be a little finicky after they’ve been shot a bit. The 26 is easier to shoot and more reliable than the 43. It’s a fallback option if I can’t find a good snub but I definitely want the round gun at this time.

LCR 357 not available right now. LCR 22, 38, 9mm are still in stock. Not keen on the 9mm snubs right now, although the ammo is easier to find and cheaper too (vs 38 Special.) I’ve seen only one 9mm snub at my local range (SP101) and the guy had issues with extraction even after getting his chambers finish reamed. He also complained that the factory moon clips seemed to get bent very easily. He let me shoot it and it was actually pleasant.

(Did not consider the LCR 38 as am avoiding alloy frames. My gut tells me they are still “carry a lot/shoot seldom” guns and I don’t have enough resources to devote to a steel trainer/alloy carry duo.)

So if you had five 9mm, you could have 250 rounds of 9mm?

While the SP101 would be my choice of what you listed, a 9mm LCR might be something to consider.

@Clusterfrack likes his 9mm LCR.

One of the local churches always seems to have a Filipino priest. Even though we have almost no Filipino population here. He seemed to like guns. One day before work, I went to confession in my uniform (police). He saw me walking into the church and told me how he threatened to shoot a guy with his AR when the guy broke into his home. Pretty sure he ended up hearing my confession that same day.

Banned
    One of the Colts. You will get zero support from any of the manufacturers where you are, so it’s not an issue worth considering.

As far as I know the Colts have not had canted barrel and other issues that plague S&W and Ruger so you’re more likely to get a 100% working gun out the box from Colt.

The Colts are also 6 shooters, which given the low capacity of revolvers is something worth considering.

Disclaimer, I carry a king cobra. I own J frame S&Ws and owned an SP101 in the past. The difference in size is so little that the Cobra is no less comfortable to carry than the SP101 or J Frame S&W.

Banned

Had I been living in the Philippines I’d be serving a life sentence now!

... would be my choice of what you listed, a 9mm LCR might be something to consider.

@Clusterfrack likes his 9mm LCR.
    Yes, I do like it with the Hogue Bantam grips. It is like the Glock of revolvers: reliable, user serviceable, and in 9mm.

I like the moonclips, and the “free bore” of the 9mm cylinder makes the effective barrel length longer for good velocities.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I have quite a few S&Ws, and the only problem I've ever had was a stripped rear sight elevation screw on a used 629 I bought. I've never needed a service. If I could inspect the 60 before buying it, I'd be happy with that. If I was a new guy, I'd probably take the SP101. I don't like Rugers as much, but the SP101 is fine.

Out of the ones mentioned, I own a SP101 in .357 and the LCR in 9mm. The SP is user friendly to the point I have had mine apart to its individual pieces. The only thing I have not had off is the barrel. It is a touch heavy but can be pocket carried without too much trouble, it is pocket dependent though. It is durable enough to use as a make shift hammer to drive nails. I think I can shoot this one until the end of time and not wear it out.

I had the LCR in 9mm before I had the SP. It is my go to for around the house/property chores. I don't find the recoil any worse than magnums in the SP. I carry a moon clip of 147 fmj and one moon of shot shells in my left front pocket for whatever need arises. I marry them together and they ride loose with no other protection. The factory clips seem more fragile than TK Custom or Speed Beez but I have yet to bend one accidently. I have experimented to see what it takes to bend one and it is a lot. The one I finally did bend I hammered back with a brass hammer and it still works as it should. I haven't had the LCR apart other than changing grips. There has been no need to do so.

If I found myself in a place with only a can of motor oil, a used tooth brush and no other support, I would take the SP101 all day. This is only because I don't know what it takes to get extra moons in your country.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 03-22-2021 at 09:19 PM.

I’d be curious to hear from others who have AIWB’d the SP101. I found that it tended to “roll out” over the top, and printed a good bit. This was in a very reputable dedicated AIWB holster (JMCK) too.

I mentioned the LCR 357 not because it’s a .357, but because it is 4oz heavier than the standard .38 LCR—I have 2 of those. In fact, I shot one of them today. I love those ugly little things, but for sure, they aren’t much fun to shoot, especially with +P.

Moon clips are a pain in the rear. I have a 9mm wheelie too, and it’s a gas to shoot, but a drag to load up and unload the clips.

The night Cobra is just a super-cool wheelie. That thing feels great, and looks great. That said, I let mine go, because I ran some drills against a 3” J-frame and an LCR, and I was just more accurate with the little 5-shot guns. If I didn’t have the targets and the timer, I wouldn’t have believed it, but that’s the way it was.

A G26 is pretty hard to beat, and the ammo and magazine compatibility makes sense in your situation. But I think you should try an LCR .38 before making a decision if you can find one to rent somewhere. It’s not fun, but it can be shot really well with work, and it carries like it’s holstered in another dimension—it’s that transparent.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Exclamation

So if you had five 9mm, you could have 250 rounds of 9mm?.
    Yes. If I add a sport shooter category to my license, I can legally possess 1000 rounds of ammo per registered gun but that’s as much as the law allows. I’ll probably add that category when I renew my license later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Had I been living in the Philippines I’d be serving a life sentence now!
    Hahaha. It’s not that bad. I have one of the entry level licenses. The highest tier allows more than 15 guns, and I’ve met several guys who have hundreds in their collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, I do like it with the Hogue Bantam grips. It is like the Glock of revolvers: reliable, user serviceable, and in 9mm.

I like the moonclips, and the “free bore” of the 9mm cylinder makes the effective barrel length longer for good velocities.
    Does the 9mm LCR exhibit bullet pull the way many 9mm revolvers do? I don’t have a lot of ammo choices locally. Most of the stuff is 115 and 124 gr weight. The local Remington distributor had some 147 Golden Sabres but ran out six months into the Covid lockdown. Federal HST 124 gr standard pressure is sometimes available but $$$ at $2.25 per round. The Hornady distributor has 135 grain Critical Duty but that stuff sells out really fast, even during normal times. The most available ammo is Armscor (works ok for training) and Magtech.

Is bullet pull more about bullet weight, or the crimp that the maker applies to their ammo?

Snub recommendation for a new guy?

Yes. If I add a sport shooter category to my license, I can legally possess 1000 rounds of ammo per registered gun but that’s as much as the law allows. I’ll probably add that category when I renew my license later this year.

Hahaha. It’s not that bad. I have one of the entry level licenses. The highest tier allows more than 15 guns, and I’ve met several guys who have hundreds in their collections.

Does the 9mm LCR exhibit bullet pull the way many 9mm revolvers do? I don’t have a lot of ammo choices locally. Most of the stuff is 115 and 124 gr weight. The local Remington distributor had some 147 Golden Sabres but ran out six months into the Covid lockdown. Federal HST 124 gr standard pressure is sometimes available but $$$ at $2.25 per round. The Hornady distributor has 135 grain Critical Duty but that stuff sells out really fast, even during normal times. The most available ammo is Armscor (works ok for training) and Magtech.

Is bullet pull more about bullet weight, or the crimp that the maker applies to their ammo?
    Bullet pull: good question. I tested this, using Fed HST 147 and Win Ranger 147. It took 8 shots to add 0.010” to the HST, and the Ranger didn’t budge. There is so much room in the cylinder that I feel this is a non issue unless you repeatedly partially fire and reload a moonclip with rounds in it.

If I had the choice, I would use long bullets (147) even though they are heavier. But based my tests, you should be good with any weight. I am fairly sure crimp makes the most difference.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-22-2021 at 11:55 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List