Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub recommendation for a new guy?

Question Snub recommendation for a new guy?

I just signed up for the forum but have read several of the snubbie threads. I currently own just one gun (G17 G5) and am looking for something smaller to carry at the office.

I’m not from the US so my choices are very limited. Dealers/distributors here are not likely to replace faulty guns but will do their best to repair them. Factory parts availability is poor. So far, the following models are readily available.

1. S&W Model 60-14, current production variant
    2. Ruger SP101, 2.25” barrel with standard fixed rear sight
    3. Colt Cobra and Night Cobra
    4. Kimber K6 series, both the concealed and spurred hammer variants

(The only ones I’ve managed to rent and shoot are a Model 60 and an SP101. I thought the Model 60 needed grips that better fit my hand, while the SP101 needed more grip material behind the trigger guard and fewer sharp edges.)

From the threads l’ve read, any of these four makes can have issues from the box but are there one or two that seem to be less prone to QC issues? Do any of these have maintenance intervals that require major parts replacement (like the way old Colts needed hands replaced at the 3k mark)? FWIW, I plan to shoot only standard pressure ammo.

Also, guns sold here are very $$$ compared to US retail. The K6s, Model 60 and the SP101 are all priced close to $1500, the Cobra is about $150 more, while the Night Cobra is a little over $2k. Before parting with that much cash, I was hoping to get a better idea of what to expect (build and quality) from any of these modern revolvers.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If I had to pick a gun from that list that had to work right out of the box and would continue to do so with only the most basic of support, I'd go Ruger. By a wide margin.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If I had to pick a gun from that list that had to work right out of the box and would continue to do so with only the most basic of support, I'd go Ruger. By a wide margin.
    Thanks for the tip. Are there any things I should pay attention to when I inspect the gun? A lot of the posts here mention checking for canted barrels (Smiths mostly, but some Rugers too) though this doesn’t seem to be a showstopper in terms of the gun’s ability to function.

I would go with the SP101 out of those. I have had one for many years and it is excellent. Built like a tank for sure. I guess the only down side is the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I agree with BBI. Rugers are the Glocks of the snubbie world.

Use a fine file on the sharp edges.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    One of the nice things about revolvers is that the grips are changeable.

Given the constraints of poor support available, the SP101 is probably your best option. None are really pocket guns. If you want six shots, maybe the Cobra. With standard pressure .38 ammo, you're not going to wear out any of your choices. If I remember correctly, the "shoot 3,000 rounds and return for service" for Colts only applied to the use of +P ammunition.

My recollection is that some of the early Kimbers had issues. They seem to have fixed the issues. I don't know how to spot an early gun, though.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 03-22-2021 at 07:01 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    The Ruger is designed to be user-serviceable. The others, somewhat less so. Within the parameters given, I would go SP-101 without a second thought about it, unless it had to fit in a pocket. Then I would likely choose the 60-14. I have a 60-9, and can make it work in a pocket, but the weight of both is sub-optimal for that. Just, the 60 is slightly less bulky.

Don’t worry too much about the grips - you can change them out and/or modify everything about them till you have a set that satisfy.

Sharp edges on stainless revolvers are easily dealt with. A careful, light hand and some fine emery blocks such as from 3M or jeweler quality files will smooth them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My recollection is that some of the early Kimbers had issues. They seem to have fixed the issues. I don't know how to spot an early gun, though.
    My recollection is the Kimbers would break firing pins with even limited dry fire without snap caps. The redesign is supposed to make them more durable in this regard but have still seen reports of pin breakage. If dry firing a Kimber, snap caps should be used. Which really isn't a bad recommendation for any revolver.

Personally Id go with the night cobra. Night sights, 6rds, good grips from the factory.

You'd probably be happy with the Night Cobra although I'd probably get a 357 if available just to have the versatility.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...obra-revolver/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List