Thread: 30-30 Commemorative Ammo

30-30 Commemorative Ammo

Didn't want to gum up the Lever Rifle thread but wanted to ask. I found two unopened cases of this stuff in my mom's garage that my step-dad had stashed. Is there any reason not to shoot it? I see somebody selling it for $100-$120 per box on gunbroker. Am I ignorant or are there just a bunch of other ignorant people out there? To me it's just regular old 30-30 that happens to be dressed in nickel cases. It does have an OFW headstamp.

Name:  30-30_2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  43.3 KB
    Name:  30-30_1.jpeg
Views: 249
Size:  53.1 KB

If you can sell it for $100+ for a box of 20, why would you shoot it?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Well that's kind of the question. Is it WORTH $100 a box?

Shipping ammo seems to be a pain in the ass but I've never done it. I know it only needs an ORM-D label and proper packaging and that it's not HAZ-MAT but I still have to drop it off at a terminal which is a royal pain. If the value is there I'd do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Well that's kind of the question. Is it WORTH $100 a box?
    It is if people are paying that for it.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Not sure exactly what the collectors market is but I believe that particular type has some collector value in any market. If its inflated now id sell it and buy regular ammo later or components or whatever. When walmart gets it back in stock it will probably be somewhat close to its former price of $15/box
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

In the vein of “Baseball cards get rare because of mothers cleaning attics”, if you shoot it everyone else's box of commemorative .30-30 will go up in worth. I’d either sell it or find someone willing to trade 2 or 3 for 1.

Someone sold one box with 12 bidders for $120 on Gunbroker on 3/7/21. Link.

I would list it because there are at least 4 four guys on Gunbroker who would probably bid on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Shipping ammo seems to be a pain in the ass but I've never done it. I know it only needs an ORM-D label and proper packaging and that it's not HAZ-MAT but I still have to drop it off at a terminal which is a royal pain. If the value is there I'd do it though.
    FYI ORM-D labels are obsolete as of this year, even though you can still find them for sale. Current rules require a 4" black/white diamond Limited Quantity label.

It is a pain and I always avoided it, but a few months ago I decided to suck it up, figure it out, and sell off some calibers on GunBroker that I didn't really shoot. Definitely worth my time in the current market. My approach to make it as painless as possible:

- I figured out what lot sizes I was going to sell in, measured the most efficient packing arrangement, and bought boxes from Uline (min qty 25, but you get exactly the size you need).
    - Additional layers of cardboard are great packaging material, cut with a utility knife using a steel ruler as a guide -- like if the box was 1/2" too tall, I'd put a few layers of cardboard on the top and a few layers on the bottom so things were secure.
    - I used these Limited Quantity labels (add a few stickers for a kid or something to get free shipping at $25).
    - I printed my own UPS labels on these. UPS Simple Rate is based on dimensions and generally cheaper than shipping by weight.
    - To minimize trips to the UPS location, I put in my listings that due to the distance I would be batching up the shipments and there may be a delay of a few days before shipping. I sent out prompt emails to confirm receipt of payment and estimated ship date, then sent tracking numbers when things went out, everybody was happy.
    - Be aware it is not legal to ship ammo to all destinations.

If it’ll bring $100/box I’d sell it all.

It’s a 30-30. 170gr whatever from Wal-Mart is gonna do everything a 30-30 can do.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    If it’ll bring $100/box I’d sell it all.

It’s a 30-30. 170gr whatever from Wal-Mart is gonna do everything a 30-30 can do.

Or 150s, however, I havent seen 30-30 ammo at a walmart in many months.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List