Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: RFI: Ambi Safety recommendations for a Southpaw

  1. #1
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Front Range, CO

    RFI: Ambi Safety recommendations for a Southpaw

    I’d like your recommendations for an ambidextrous AR safety that’s easily configured for left-handed operations (that is, a long lever on the right side of the frame).
    I’m putting together a 9” .300 BLK AR pistol, and want an easily-manipulated safety with my left hand.
    My other ARs have the Geissele “Super Selectable” safety, with the long lever on the right. For commonality, I think I’d like something that feels very similar, but am open to suggestions for something that’s even better. For commonality, I’m not interested in any “short-throw” levers. I’d prefer a shorter, maybe thinner lever on the “off” (left) side to keep it clear of my trigger finger.
    I’m pretty new to ARs, so I don’t know what I don’t know - so please help me learn what good ideas are out there.
    I’m trying to make the .300 BLK gun visually distinctive by using FDE furniture, so a safety that’s available with FDE levers would be appealing.
    I’d like to keep it $50 or less, if possible.

    Here’s what I’m looking at right now:

    https://www.primaryarms.com/p-o-f-us...-switch?page=4
    Which looks a lot like the Geissele, but with long levers on both sides (not ideal) for $26 plus shipping

    https://www.opticsplanet.com/cmmg-am...ector-kit.html
    Very similar to the one above, but from more of a “known quantity” company for $31 with free shipping

    https://www.opticsplanet.com/radian-...TALAMFSS-R0020
    This has great reviews, but is a little less “stock” looking, so less similar to the Geissele. And it’s available in FDE for $47.45 shipped.

  2. #2
    Site Supporter dontshakepandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    The only one you listed that I have experience with is the Radian. They are very good and most people using them are very happy.

    I actually just switched all of my guns to the Forward Controls Design ASF and like them a bit better than the Radian.

    Like everything from FCD the fit and finish is really great. The rotation action just feels a bit smoother, the detent more positive, and the installation method is more durable.

    The link below is for the 90 degree version, but I went with the 50 degree version.

    https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...ers_p_227.html

    You can find them cheaper at other retailers, but most only stock the right handed optimized setup.

    At full retail is it worth almost two Talons? Meh, probably not, but I don’t regret the upgrade at all.

  3. #3
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Front Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    The only one you listed that I have experience with is the Radian. They are very good and most people using them are very happy.

    I actually just switched all of my guns to the Forward Controls Design ASF and like them a bit better than the Radian.

    Like everything from FCD the fit and finish is really great. The rotation action just feels a bit smoother, the detent more positive, and the installation method is more durable.

    The link below is for the 90 degree version, but I went with the 50 degree version.

    https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...ers_p_227.html

    You can find them cheaper at other retailers, but most only stock the right handed optimized setup.

    At full retail is it worth almost two Talons? Meh, probably not, but I don’t regret the upgrade at all.
    Thanks for the recommendation! If they’d had ones with a short left lever in stock, I’d probably have pulled the trigger even at the additional cost. I’ll have to look around a bit so see if someone else has them.
    Or just go with the FDE Radian...

    BTW- were you the guy there with his wife at the HiTS class last weekend? Or the guy sitting just to their right?
    You’re the only P-F player that I wasn’t able to identify.

  4. #4
    Site Supporter dontshakepandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation! If they’d had ones with a short left lever in stock, I’d probably have pulled the trigger even at the additional cost. I’ll have to look around a bit so see if someone else has them.
    Or just go with the FDE Radian...

    BTW- were you the guy there with his wife at the HiTS class last weekend? Or the guy sitting just to their right?
    You’re the only P-F player that I wasn’t able to identify.
    You won’t be disappointed with the Radian... especially if you really want the FDE. My main reason for switching was wanting a more positive detent with the short throw. At 90 degrees I don’t feel like that’s quite as important.

    I was actually sitting at the far left of the classroom (viewing from the rear). I was running a G45 with an RMR and a Phlster Enjgma.

  5. #5
    Here is what I use on several rifles:

    https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.co...egory=14#attr=

    I like them. Safety off with thumb. Safety on with trigger finger. Gets booger hook off the bang switch and out of the trigger guard area when reapplying safety.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

  6. #6
    You are going to laugh. I bought a bunch of these to put on rifles I built for relatives. Turns out they worked fine for me as well. I'm a lefty and run the scalloped lever on the left side and the traditional lever on the right side. At less than $15.00 who can complain.

    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO...mbi-safety.htm

    My recipe - for these and most any safety regardless of who makes it:

    KNS Safety Detents - https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/safety-detent/ (Duffy, the owner of Forward Controls Design, recommended them to me several years ago).

    Pack the cutouts on the barrel of the safety with Brian Enos Slide Gide.

    Green sleeve retainer on the right side lever's allen screw. Blue on the left.

    Safe-Fire until I get tired. If it still feels too stiff - one coil at a time off the spring.

  7. #7
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The 603
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Here is what I use on several rifles:

    https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.co...egory=14#attr=

    I like them. Safety off with thumb. Safety on with trigger finger. Gets booger hook off the bang switch and out of the trigger guard area when reapplying safety.
    The Battle Arms Development selector has been my standard for many years now.
    Ken

    BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

  8. #8
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Front Range, CO
    That does look like a great deal for fully configurable ambi safety- I’m going to bookmark it for future reference.

    Now - YOU are going to laugh. While installing other parts on my new .300 BLK build, I came across an extra Geissele “Super Configurable” safety that I’d forgotten I had (in the “AR parts box”).
    So, since one of my desired outcomes was to be “similar to the Geissele safeties on my other ARs”, I think I’ve met my objective!
    This new 8” build has a Aero upper and a PSA lower, but the grip, ambi charging handle, bold release, and safety will be identical to the other 2 ARs in the collection.

    I appreciate all the input, and hopefully others will benefit from this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    You are going to laugh. I bought a bunch of these to put on rifles I built for relatives. Turns out they worked fine for me as well. I'm a lefty and run the scalloped lever on the left side and the traditional lever on the right side. At less than $15.00 who can complain.

    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO...mbi-safety.htm

    My recipe - for these and most any safety regardless of who makes it:

    KNS Safety Detents - https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/safety-detent/ (Duffy, the owner of Forward Controls Design, recommended them to me several years ago).

    Pack the cutouts on the barrel of the safety with Brian Enos Slide Gide.

    Green sleeve retainer on the right side lever's allen screw. Blue on the left.

    Safe-Fire until I get tired. If it still feels too stiff - one coil at a time off the spring.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Now - YOU are going to laugh. While installing other parts on my new .300 BLK build, I came across an extra Geissele “Super Configurable” safety that I’d forgotten I had (in the “AR parts box”). So, since one of my desired outcomes was to be “similar to the Geissele safeties on my other ARs”, I think I’ve met my objective!
    I've done that before - bought a bunch of Geissle carbon steel gas blocks from ALG on sale and hung them on the peg board over the cleaning bench. Forgot they were there and ordered a couple more. Kind of fun how extra parts become new rifles you don't need.

  10. #10
    I have used Battle Arms CASS selectors on some lowers and they are fine but are now using Radian ones as I like that they use a detent and no screws.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •