View Poll Results: Mar ‘21 USPSA Rules - Do you agree?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Disagree

3 9.38%
  • Disagree

6 18.75%
  • Neither Agree nor Disagree

12 37.50%
  • Agree

6 18.75%
  • Strongly Agree

3 9.38%
  • Mods here are the ****

2 6.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AIWB now legal in all divisions? (Poll Only Thread)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I've heard pro golfers on the PGA tour talk about the feeling of "grinding" day in and day out. That kind of seems like what you're talking about at the highest level.

At least at my level (M), I still see myself as enjoying a casual hobby. I find practice and shooting meditative and restorative even though it's not easy. And I get to do it with a squad of friends and like-minded people who are awesome human beings.

I'm still working on #1 and balancing it with #2. In our local region, there seem to be a lot of people in that boat at the high-A through M level that are working on their game but still balancing the fun factor.
    My wife used to be a member of the Olympic team and a professional athlete for a long time. She is still extremely athletic. I tried to talk her into shooting with me. She told me that she was mentally exhausted from competition after all those years and couldn't do it anymore. She told me that would be impossible for her to casually participate in it. I totally understand her. I personally know a couple guys who quit completely because they couldn't find the time anymore to train as much as needed and they didn't want to casually fuck around once in a while...

I try to remove my ego from the process and it's not easy. Interestingly my performance is always better when I am able to do that. I was not able to train for over 7 months because of the new job and then my hand injury. My first match after that was actually better than I expected because I had no expectations. The second one was a train wreck because of "I got it " mentality. I did shoot a classifier at 95% last Sunday perhaps because I finally practiced on Saturday or most likely because it was a low key match with no pressure and I got lucky. Anyways it feels good to be back.
    Last edited by cheby; 03-24-2021 at 05:19 PM.

USPSA has always been touted as the only sport where amateurs could play alongside the pros. Maybe that needs to change. You can't play basketball with LeBron James or baseball with Derek Jeter. Maybe the upper levels of the sport, say A, M, and GM should be considered the "Majors" and have tighter rule sets. The D,C,B classes could have looser rule sets to encourage entry into the sport (the Minor leagues). The "Major" matches could be limited to A through GM only, especially Nationals. This would relieve the crowding at the majors. Occasional large "Pro-Am" matches where you could rub elbows with the Rob Leathams and Mason Lanes of the world. I never understood why D and C class shooters were allowed at Nationals, potentially crowding out much better shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by GNiner View Post
    USPSA has always been touted as the only sport where amateurs could play alongside the pros. Maybe that needs to change. You can't play basketball with LeBron James or baseball with Derek Jeter. Maybe the upper levels of the sport, say A, M, and GM should be considered the "Majors" and have tighter rule sets. The D,C,B classes could have looser rule sets to encourage entry into the sport (the Minor leagues). The "Major" matches could be limited to A through GM only, especially Nationals. This would relieve the crowding at the majors. Occasional large "Pro-Am" matches where you could rub elbows with the Rob Leathams and Mason Lanes of the world. I never understood why D and C class shooters were allowed at Nationals, potentially crowding out much better shooters.
    I would not support that. I gladly share the squad at Majors with new, or not-so new D/C/B class folks. As long as a shooter takes the game seriously, I don't care what level they are.

Similarly, it's a treat to squad with a pro now and then.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I would not support that. I gladly share the squad at Majors with new, or not-so new D/C/B class folks. As long as a shooter takes the game seriously, I don't care what level they are.

Similarly, it's a treat to squad with a pro now and then.
    Ditto.

My third or fourth match, I contacted Gabe, who got me squadded up with him at the Sectional Match in Dundee OR in 2017. I had fun, but probably slowed the whole group down. Everyone was very helpful though, and I learned quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I wonder if the results would have been significantly different if it had been separate polls on a per-rule basis, plus one for the process by which the changes occurred. That would definitely have resulted in different voting from me, at least.
    No. I'm thinking anyone who had strong feelings, would have them formed by one or more of the rules changes. If you didn't like a particular rule change, you'd vote strongly disagree. If you really liked one, you'd vote strongly agree. So no, I don't think anything really would change. But who knows.

As to the results, I had no idea what to expect. I am really not sure what to make of the almost perfect Bell curve of the results. The Central Limit Theorem predicts this is what you get with multiple identically distributed outcomes, adding them together ends up in a Normal distribution. As to what that means, I dunno.

Ok here's an idea, how about a poll, in which each of the rules changes are enumerated, and people can vote, which one they feel strongest about (positive or negative)? Now that might be interesting, to see if there is a single issue which stands out to point to where the sturm and drang of the main thread lies.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ditto.

My third or fourth match, I contacted Gabe, who got me squadded up with him at the Sectional Match in Dundee OR in 2017. I had fun, but probably slowed the whole group down. Everyone was very helpful though, and I learned quite a bit.
    CCS 2017 was a good match, and it's cool that Gabe took 1st shooting Lim Minor from concealment. As a new shooter at the time, you didn't slow the group down by shooting 20s slower on stages than some shooters. I'm sure that was balanced by the 20s 'make ready' for some of the other shooters.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    No. I'm thinking anyone who had strong feelings, would have them formed by one or more of the rules changes.
    All I can really say is that this was not the way it worked for me, so I don't think your assumption is completely valid. I personally took the rough average of my feelings and voted based on that. I strongly like the gear position rule changes, am "meh" to maybe dislike on the flashlight stuff, strongly dislike the absurdly high weight limit in Production, and dislike the way the rule changes occurred. That led me to the middle of the road/neither agree nor disagree vote that I submitted.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    All I can really say is that this was not the way it worked for me, so I don't think your assumption is completely valid. I personally took the rough average of my feelings and voted based on that. I strongly like the gear position rule changes, am "meh" to maybe dislike on the flashlight stuff, strongly dislike the absurdly high weight limit in Production, and dislike the way the rule changes occurred. That led me to the middle of the road/neither agree nor disagree vote that I submitted.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    CCS 2017 was a good match, and it's cool that Gabe took 1st shooting Lim Minor from concealment. As a new shooter at the time, you didn't slow the group down by shooting 20s slower on stages than some shooters. I'm sure that was balanced by the 20s 'make ready' for some of the other shooters.
    Woah! Were you at Dundee in 2017? I completely missed that if so, or I don't remember (there were a lot of people there lol). Damn it was pretty hot for Oregon though. Gabe made a video of me at the match that I watch now and cringe. Geez I can't believe how slow I was.

Anyway, back to the poll.

User Tag List