Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Flashlight

Site Supporter

Tactical Flashlight

I've been getting stuff (Crap) from places like Wally-world in the $20 - $40 range. They start out good, but ALWAYS crap out. Usually the switch, other times something else.
    What is a good and durable tack-light. I'm looking for something no longer than 8 inches and not much more than 2 inches in diameter.
    I don't want to throw away money, but I'm finally convinced to spend what it takes to get something decent. Suggestions welcome.

Site Supporter
    Malkoff or Elzetta. Do you want multiple settings? Single setting? Rechargeable? Will this be the only light you carry or will it be in a bag? There are a lot of options depending on your need/want.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Malkoff or Elzetta. Do you want multiple settings? Single setting? Rechargeable? Will this be the only light you carry or will it be in a bag? There are a lot of options depending on your need/want.
    Good questions.
    Multiple settings. I've got rechargeable batteries in in AAA cartridges and AA forms. I'd prefer replaceable batteries rather than something built in.

Tier 1 (think Larue, Daniel Defense, ...) is Malkoff, Surefire, Elzetta, ...

Tier 2 (S&W, Ruger, ...) might be Nitecore, Thrunite, mayyybeee Fenix, ...

I have Malkoffs and Surefires, but lately I have been buying Nitecore and Thrunite. I have yet to have a problem with any of those. If I was going to be jumping into Normandy the night of D-Day I'd probably think Surefire was cheap at the price. I'm not, and the Tier 2 places provide a lot of light for the money. I mostly buy for a user interface that I like (which, for me, means for handhelds the default is all the lumens by default, and some lower output by futzing around, and for headlights I really like the Thrunight hold-to-ramp UI).

IMHO, YMMV, yadda.

Flishlight? Is that anything like a fleshlight?

Sorry. I tried. Honest, I did. But in the end the twelve year old won once again.

Some very knowledgeable folks here, and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of good info and recommendations. What you do (police officer, first responder?), what you want it to do, and how much training you have or plan to get will all be factors in what works best for you.

I've got a variety of types and have done some low light shooting training (not strobe employment, etc). If you're primarily looking for a light to set by the bedside to accompany your nightstand pistol, simpler may be better--I've found a single output (only one light level) flashlight with a switch with momentary (light press to light, release off) and constant on (full press to click and it stays on until you click it off) to be pretty hard to screw up.

I have one of these, personally purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Tact...ct_top?ie=UTF8

and it might be a good "easy button" intro step up from cheaper stuff. Note there are different options--the one I'm talking about is the Tactical model. There are brighter lights out there, but this one is no slouch. Biggest downside on these to me is run time and battery cost, but if it is for personal use and tactical purposes, I'd bet you'd go a long way on one 12-round box of Surefire batteries.

I think Surefire would make good on a real warranty problem with switches, and A-zon on a return if you had a legit concern it was a fake (as mentioned in reviews). I've had no issues and think mine purchased through them is legit, but I'd contact Surefire to verify it is legit before taking it out of the packaging if you're really concerned.

Just one opinion and option. Good luck with your purchase!

Site Supporter
    Legacy Surefire 6P LEGO’d up with a Malkoff head and a Thyrm Switchback finger ring/pocket clip has become my default. I built two of them. They are set up for momentary on only, with the possibility to turn the tailcap for stay on ability, but I rarely use that. The CR123 batteries last a good long time.

I have a really cool rechargeable Fenix that goes from a little glow light to eye-bleeding lumens in 5 levels using a separate switch than the on/off, but it’s fiddly and the on/off switch has always been glitchy, so I never actually carry it except in a car or bag as the backup, or just leave it in a drawer or by the bed.

Surefire Fury is a good general purpose light with lots of lumens or just a few - two levels only - but the clicky switch goes to the polite level first, so it is also a backup/general car use light rather than in the pocket for potential not-polite use.

A full-on Malkoff would be a really good choice, but the Surefire lights are good, too.

@Bigguy

Flashlights are a world of enthusiasm unto their own, as you can see so far. You can really "geek out" on them, if you want. I stay away from a lot of the "custom" brands mentioned here because they usually have some disclaimer about only using specific batteries and the mainstream, more available brands such as Surefire and Streamlight work well. I'm nowhere near that interested in a fucking flashlight to dive into the small shop/custom market, personally. I would generally recommend sticking to the USB rechargeable options from Streamlight and Surefire. Yes, you can recharge flashlights with a USB cable, just like you charge your phone. In my opinion, it's 2021, single-use CR123 batteries and their associated cost is for the birds.

Given your job, I'd say here's my recommendations:

Protac 2LX USB for $57: This is the ticket if you want a light that you can wear in a pouch on your belt, and is just small enough to use in a pocket as well.

PolyTac X USB for $50: Basic option for wearing on your belt.

Streamlight ProTac HPL USB for $105: If you want more performance than the PolyTac, and something specifically limited to wearing on your belt.

Streamlight is good and with the current lineup is what I prefer to use. Surefire is the gold standard but they will generally cost significantly more, and you may have to buy their rechargeable 18650 battery separately, and make sure whatever light you're buying it for will work with it. Don't know about you, but I personally am not interested in paying those prices for a handheld flashlight. If you wanted a gold standard, American made light that is USB rechargeable, then the Surefire Fury DFT at $217 would be an option though they're currently out of stock. On the other end of the spectrum, if you already have a light pouch and don't mind paying for CR123s (or maybe work provides them?), then you can get the older, basic temp on/off Surefire G2Z light for $89.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-20-2021 at 09:47 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Title edited. Out of mercy.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane beyond owning and carrying a "tactical" flashlight since 1991 when Surefire was Laser Products and 65 lumens in something a little bigger than a roll of quarters was amazing.

I posted the following in Nov of 20 here and stand by it:

"Executive Summary-Spend the extra money if buying today and buy Surefire/Elzetta/Malkoff for your bet your life on handheld flashlight. I would also consider Streamlight as it probably has more product out there than anybody given how well they do the intersection of quality and value. You can ascertain the country of manufacture on their website on the "fact sheet" under the Documentation Tab of each of their products. They assemble in both the USA and the PRC (CHINA), depends on the product.

Cheapest Price/Intersection of Quality and Value/Best Quality. Usually 3 distinct price points. Often Far East to USA/Europe re point of manufacturing. I suppose it depends on what your application is going to be. 'Mission Drives the Gear" (PR-RIP)

I have posted this before in this and other contexts. I know that anything manufactured in China (PRC) can be made to any QC point. Apple and Arcteryx are two examples of superlative products being made in the PRC.

As I have gotten older, gotten wiser and the events of the last 12+ months, have all led me to the "buy once cry once" end of the consumer spectrum and away from the intersection of quality and value that drove my train, particularly when my children were younger. By definition, this tends to be a migration away from products made in the PRC.

I am making a conscious decision to not buy products from the PRC when an non PRC alternative can be sourced. To date this has manifested itself in:
    Flashlights, Boots, Cookie Sheets, Muffin Pans, Pizza Cutters, Measuring Cups, Glass Measuring/Baking Ware, Shoe Trees/Shoe Horns/Shoe Laces, Pens/Pencils/Inks, Batteries, Hand Tools etc.

Have I spent more money-yes. Have I received a quality product that delivers better performance-absolutely.

Would I spend more money again even if the performance of the items were exactly the same (PRC v. NON PRC Products with a solid tilt toward Made in the USA)-Without a Doubt."

YMMV Greatly.

Blessings to you all in this time.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List