ADVANCED EVERYDAY RIFLE, 3R OPERATIONS, INC.
March 13 & 14, 2021, KEENE NH
AAR​

Instructor: Brian A Sayers
Weather: Cold, Very windy, snowy, really cold! With wind-chill single digits!
Location: Cheshire County Shooting Sports Education Foundation, Keene, NH
Class Size: 9 students Ages: 28-57
Round Count: 1,400 +/-

---

This is going to be a hard review to write comprehensively. The drills and concepts we learned were advanced and difficult to explain without running your experience.

This was an advanced rifle fighting class and to take this class you need to have basic proficiency in safe pistol & rifle manipulation. We spent less than fifteen minutes first thing on the line using our pistols. Brian said transitioning to the pistol is done in Everyday Rifle class, “this is an advanced rifle class… Get the reps in getting your rifle back in the fight!”

This review will a very small sample of select drills and skills we learned in the two-day class. If you are interested in taking the class your experience will be much larger than what you read here.
-----
We started off the class with an instructor and student intros: Brian told the class his professional and training background and we told each other who we were, our previous training, and what we wanted to learn from this class. As this was his advanced rifle class you needed to have taken his pistol class and his rifle class we all knew each other from previous classes. It was seeing family members you like.

What I wanted to get out of this class was bringing my rifle fighting skills to a higher competency level. I have taken many levels one rifle classes and was ready to expand my skillset to advanced fighting with rifle concepts. I thought I had some idea what that meant before the class, but I had no concept of the things I did not know. Writing this AAR after the class I realized what I thought we would learn in the class we did all of that before lunch on day one. The class was SO MUCH MORE than I could have ever imagined. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. As this was an advanced class there was very little information out on the internet on what to expect.

We had our safety and medical briefing. Brian goes over the same medical plan in ALL of his classes. We identified the students with medical training, setup protocols in case we had a training accident. Who were the primary caregiver, backup caregiver, and backup backup caregiver in case the primary was injured. The truck was backed up in the range, keys in the ignition, the closest hospital was programmed into the GPS, who was going to drive, who was going to make the call, and what to say to emergency services. Again we went over the safety rules to ensure we would not have a training accident.

Brain made it very clear that each and every drill was optional if you chose not to participate in the drill for any reason it was cool. He made it VERY CLEAR if anyone in the class even made an eye-roll or a comment about someone not participating in a particular drill you were out of the class immediately! DID Everyone did all of the drills or the drills were modified to get the skills if you were unable to physically do the drill.

We were asked if we had brought training medical supplies, a training TQ, training gauze, and a training H bandage. For the people who had not brought any, they were supplied loaners. Brian went over how to put on a TQ, how to pack a wound and place an H bandage on. We were to carry them for the class. We may be told that we had received a simulated gunshot wound during the drill that we needed to fix while we were fighting.

Brian asked if anyone needed to zero their rifles, I was using a new Spikes 9mm AR that I had not shot yet and needed to confirm zero. So I was one who zeroed their weapon before the shooting portion of the class started. I had used a laser bore-sighter in my home to get a rough 25 yard zero. I was surprised that the three-shot group was right where it needed to be on paper. I was satisfied and made no corrections.

We started off with some basic pistol drills concentrating on clearing all of our layers out of the way, getting the pistol out, correctly drawing it and presenting it on target, firing the correct amount of shots, and following it up with the WYATT Protocol and reluctantly rehosting.

We slung our rifles on and we did a few easy drills: body, face shots, moving, assessing, scanning, and reloading… all the skills we learned in Everyday Rifle. During these review drills, Brain would walk over to us and point to an area on our body and say we had a simulated gunshot, fix it.

We worked some close distance to target drills getting to know our sight-over-bore hold-overs and added a full 360-degree walk-around the target keeping at least one arm’s length distance away while never turning our back on the bad-guy target.

We did some cover and concealment drills, alone and with a partner communicating movement and covering each other as we reloaded.

Precision shots in the A or B box were emphasized all weekend long as this was the advanced rifle class.

We did bounding drills with a partner, closing the distance to the target and we did bounding drills moving away from the target. We shot from different elevations and from different positions keeping cover between us and the bad-guy.

When we recharged our magazines we were told to load five to fifteen rounds per magazine. I always loaded on the heavier side. I like to shoot! Have five loaded mags total.

We did peel-off drills, mag dumping, communicating covering fire, and peeling off the rear of the column while delivering accurate deadly fire. The column moved very fast and you were again up and it was your turn to shoot.

Day one was over, we slung our rifles, did a pistol drill, added our carry ammo as a group. These were about 50% of the drills we did on day one. I am purposely not sharing about half of the drills as I would rob you of the experience and it would lessen the impact if you knew what some of the drills were beforehand.

The sun was going down, which made it even colder. My body was tired. There was a lot of movement and a lot of up and down all day long. I was so looking forward to a long hot shower and bed. We were told to be back on the range by 8:00 am.

Day two started off with the medical briefing, safety briefing, and our plan if someone got hurt. We started off with a few pistol drills and again decked our pistols on the ground.

We did a ton of drills on day two. We shot from the ground and in weird positions simulating ground fighting.

We shot on the move at multiple targets. We did a lot of larger team drills, with a lot of movement. We did “patrolling” as a team and breaking contact moving away from bad-guys.

All really, really good stuff. I learned so many new things that I did not even know I did not know. Impressive day, with a lot of curveballs that were not expected. Again day the drills listed here on day two were only 25% of the drills we did. Writing them out would be doing you a disservice as they would not be a surprise and removing some of the awesome stress of in the moment that the drills were intended to invoke.

We cleaned up, debriefed, talked about something we learned, as always Brian offered a complete refund of your class tuition if you felt you did not get your monies worth of information and skill from the class. No student asked for their money back! We all felt we got WAY more from Brain than we paid him for. Certificates and hugs were given, and we were done. I was sad the class was over.

This was an amazing class, probably one of the best classes I have ever taken. So many things I would like to say in this review but I am not going to on purpose. If you want to bring your rifle fighting skills up this would be a great class to take.

Brian is a great instructor. He is patient, clear, and uses small everyday words to explain what he wants. He tells you a few times what he wants and how he wants it done, he then shows you how he wants it done and tells you again what he wants… I like that.
##

No website by choice. Email or call Brian for an invitation to a class. You will not regret it. Full money-back guarantee.

3R OPERATIONS INC.
Instructor Brian A. Sayers
Phone: (518) 929-4818
Email: 3roperations@gmail.com
Instagram: 3roperations
YouTube: 3roperations