Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Kids bikes

We came up against the “no bikes to be had” issue last year, which is part of what is driving the issue of having unusable bikes for them now. The kids were probably already too big for their bikes before all that. We just don’t ride enough to have made it worthwhile to chase all around looking for bikes when shops weren’t even open to walk ins and didn’t have anything in stock anyway.

If we actually used the bikes frequently I’d be happy to pay for a good one. We just don’t get out and ride. Kids don’t seem to enjoy it, it’s just goddamn hot for more than half the year, it’s a hassle to drag them all around town... but when we *do* want to ride it’d be nice to know that we have something at least halfway decent.

I was hoping that there would be some hidden gem for people like us. Not really bike people, just want a passable model, without having to delve into the shit show and time suck of the Craigslist/marketplace used market.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-20-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately you have a number of competing requirements.
    Good but not expensive
    Kids don't really ride much, so you don't want to put much money into it
    Don't want to bother with seeking out a good deal

My kids, despite me trying, aren't really into biking either. My oldest learned and would go riding with me from time to time, but the youngest just had no interest at all. Kids biking to and from each others' houses isn't a thing here (it was a major deal when I was growing up).

Thing 1's last bike, and her first adult-sized bike, was a used Giant mountain bike from Craigslist. We spent less time and effort buying that bike than any bike shop purchase I've made previously. I found the bike on CL and ran it by my daughter who said it looked good. I emailed the guy, he responded with a proposed meeting place. We met, I rode the bike and ran it through its paces. My daughter rode it and said she liked it. I gave the guy cash and we left. I spent about 1/4 of the cost of an equivalent bike at a shop for what was essentially a barely used bike.

As I see it, you have three main choices:
    Bite the bullet and get a "good" bike from a bike shop, at bike shop prices.
    Go cheap on a bike from Wal-Mart and throw it away when it becomes a problem.
    Buy a used quality bike from some place like CL at near Wal-Mart prices.

There are other options such as buying a used bike at a bike shop, but not having done that, I don't really have a frame of reference.

Chris

What’s the thought on brands like Mongoose and Diamondback, etc these days? They were good when we were kids so are they trash now? Are these the new Walmart brands?

I actually haven’t even been in a Walmart in ages, and have t looked at bikes in one maybe... ever?

The problem with the used market here is that... it’s here. Everything is just trash, the people are largely liars and dirt bags... everywhere you go is an hour roundtrip minimum travel time... yes, potentially if the first bike I went and looked at worked I’d be “ahead” but as soon as that one sale doesn’t work out, I’ve now wasted so much more time that it would have been worth it to buy the $500 bike to begin with.

Pretty much resigning myself at this point to go back to the shop where we got all the other bikes, get the older girl a new one, stick the younger one with the handmedown (sorry kid, being youngest sucks, try to get born first next time) and move on. Already feel like I’ve wasted too much time on this endeavor. We liked the shop and the guys that work there, so why not throw them a bone.

Thanks to everyone for making me realize I was on a fool’s errand to start.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What’s the thought on brands like Mongoose and Diamondback, etc these days? They were good when we were kids so are they trash now? Are these the new Walmart brands?

I actually haven’t even been in a Walmart in ages, and have t looked at bikes in one maybe... ever?

The problem with the used market here is that... it’s here. Everything is just trash, the people are largely liars and dirt bags... everywhere you go is an hour roundtrip minimum travel time... yes, potentially if the first bike I went and looked at worked I’d be “ahead” but as soon as that one sale doesn’t work out, I’ve now wasted so much more time that it would have been worth it to buy the $500 bike to begin with.

Pretty much resigning myself at this point to go back to the shop where we got all the other bikes, get the older girl a new one, stick the younger one with the handmedown (sorry kid, being youngest sucks, try to get born first next time) and move on. Already feel like I’ve wasted too much time on this endeavor. We liked the shop and the guys that work there, so why not throw them a bone.

Thanks to everyone for making me realize I was on a fool’s errand to start.
    Mongoose and Diamondback got bought out by Conglomos and are garbage, unfortunately. I worked as a wrench full time for 6 years and I hated seeing folks who obviously didn’t have much extra money bringing in brand new $150 Walmart bikes and them paying us another $60 or $70 just to reassemble it properly and safely so stuff like the brakes actually work and don’t drag the rims.

At the shop I worked at we had a pretty decent trade-in program. It’s been a while, but iirc if a bike was a brand we sold or of equivalent quality and not trashed we’d usually give around 1/3 it’s original price in trade in on a new bike. Take the little one’s bike with you and see what they’ll give you for it. Call the shop and see if they take trades, I bet they do, especially right now. You can also check your local shop’s web site to see if they have anything used. I agree that used from Craigslist would be a no-go just due to time and people involved, used from a good shop should mean their mechanics have gone through and cleaned and tuned everything up to where that’s probably the best value around for kids bikes.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Honestly a coaster-brake cruiser from walmart or target will do the job of holding together for the <100 miles/year it sounds like your girls will ride. For something a bit more durable and aesthetically pleasing, I'd get an Electra (owned by Trek) which should come in around $300 for a 1 spd coaster brake. For a preteen/teen girl's rare or casual riding in Florida external brakes & gears probably aren't worth the extra expense & durability hit.

Site Supporter
    I’ll second 0ddl0t’s idea. Considering the fact that you live in Florida ie Flatistan and for the use you describe the beach cruiser ain’t a bad idea if your kids like them. They can also be had with geared hub if you care.

Site Supporter
    MTNBKR has framed the issue perfectly. As you say you put significant value on your time/talent v. treasure, just buy something entry level from a local bike shop an drive on. Presumably, it will be assembled correctly and have warranty/customer support.

I think Oddlot is on to something as well re buying a simple coaster from a big box store as they are likely to not be used much at all and those are seemingly easier to assemble/tune by whoever does that at the store.

One a complete aside and at the risk of being snide

Passing down to the youngest sucks as a parenting strategy when you can afford not to. It is a tangible and repeatable message that one of your children is literally worth more (and less) than the other. I am not cool with accident of birth determining material enrichment of juveniles within the household. If it a money thing, buy two new cheaper ones or two equal used. Or do you as you do.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

We bought an Electra for my father-in-law. Concur that it's a serviceable, inexpensive option especially in 1-sp cruiser form.

Site Supporter
    Planning this very upgrade from a Huffy that I've rebuilt and set up well for my 6yr old.

I've been looking at Haro bikes but they are heavy on BMX.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Planning this very upgrade from a Huffy that I've rebuilt and set up well for my 6yr old.

I've been looking at Haro bikes but they are heavy on BMX.
    I sold the hell out of Haro kid’s bikes back in the day and enjoyed building them too (that’s mechanic speak for they were good quality and easy to set up), and I wasn’t ever much of a BMX guy. I do think bmx bikes make good kids bikes if you’re looking for something simple. Haro’s also usually have cool paint jobs and graphics that kids like.

My best friend still rides a Haro 29’er single speed I convinced him to buy when it came into our shop as a trade in over a decade ago, and he rides a lot and owns much nicer/higher cost road and Mt Bikes.

User Tag List