Page 103 of 130 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1300

Thread: Short Fuse Enabling

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Put some grips on it that fill in the backstrap. I don't have large hands and I need something like that to be able to shoot a J-Frame.
    Wouldn't that make the thing a little less pocketable though?

I have one of those Ergo Grips "Delta" grip things...I tried it on the 43C and while it became way better to shoot, I also discovered I couldn't shoot it for crap with that grip on. For reference I shoot at a Practical Shooting Academy stripe target (direct link to pdf)...great for figuring out if you're pushing, pulling, etc. With the delta grip, I was 2/8 inside the big lane (but they all hit the paper, which was nice). With the factory grip, I was 7/8 inside the big lane (the 8th went low, actually), and 3/7 inside the middle stripe. This was at around 30 feet I think?

Maybe it was me and not the grip...I can try it on this one, maybe it'll make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post

I have one of those Ergo Grips "Delta" grip things...I tried it on the 43C and while it became way better to shoot, I also discovered I couldn't shoot it for crap with that grip on. For reference I shoot at a Practical Shooting Academy stripe target (direct link to pdf)...great for figuring out if you're pushing, pulling, etc. With the delta grip, I was 2/8 inside the big lane (but they all hit the paper, which was nice). With the factory grip, I was 7/8 inside the big lane (the 8th went low, actually), and 3/7 inside the middle stripe. This was at around 30 feet I think?

Maybe it was me and not the grip...I can try it on this one, maybe it'll make a difference.
    I have Crimson Trace LG-405 grips on my 43c. I've also used the old Taurus grips that aren't available any more. Or you could use @Lost River's leather strip with athletic tape.

These are all the length of boot grips and I find them just as concealable.

Sigh. I don't really like J-frames; I think they're really too small for useful shooting out of them. I bought a 22lr J-frame because I figured I should know how to use one, but...that was it. I have a Colt Night Cobra (new one) that I can't hit crap with; I don't know if it's me or the gun so I got the 22lr J-frame to see. So far it's coming down 50/50 me and the gun...

I went to a local-ish store this morning, and they had a 642-1 (no lock) for $299 + tax. Dated May the twoth, 2014.

Anyway, so now I have this J-frame in 38+P that I probably won't like and probably won't be able to shoot for shit, to go with the Colt Cobra and the 22lr 43c...

Pocketability will depend on the pockets and the grips but given the right grips no great impact. For comparison, a Model 60 Target (round butt) with Taurus boot grips (discontinued unfortunately) covering the back strap versus a Model 34 Kit Gun (square butt to be fair) with stock open backed grips and adaptor:

Name:  backstrap.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  69.4 KB

The Taurus grips are a huge change in shootabillty with virtually no difference in carryability.

Regardless of grips, you may want to try some wall drills:

Loaded with snap caps, place the revolver 1 to 2 inches from a plain, unmarked white wall. While focusing on the front sight, dry fire with a steady pull. This may help you diagnose what's happening. Revolvers are different beasts and small frame revolvers especially so. You want a smooth, controlled, but timely DA trigger press. This can be difficult since you are pulling a trigger weight that is usually multiples of the weight of the revolver. It's also a long pull compared to many semi's. These and other factors can literally pull the revolver off alignment. Repeated and focused practice on things like wall drills can help a lot. They also help build muscle strength and memory for shooting the revolver.

You may also want to adjust your trigger finger position. I grew up on 1911's and was taught to shoot with the pad of finger. On a revolver that's a good way to again pull the revolver off alignment. For many folks, revolver shooting you want more finger on the trigger, typically the crease at the first joint of your trigger finger.

Anyways, hope some or all of that helps! :-)
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Wouldn't that make the thing a little less pocketable though?...

Its all a trade-off with small guns. Whats carry-able, vs whats shootable, and where you choose to be on that scale. When I got the Colt Agent D frame, none of the wood grips were very comfortable to me, the pachmayr compac grips feel great, so thats what it has. Yes, it takes a little more room, but with no pocket holster it still fits fine in the pants I wear.

The Colt D frame is about mid-way between a J and K Smith. 6 shots, light weight, enough grip to shoot it OK. The grips add some bulk, but I can live with it.

I think I just started pocket carrying with larger pockets, mainly Carhartt work pants and never gave it a second thought. Ive seen a number of comments over time about small guns being hard to pocket carry. Maybe find pants with larger pockets? Another aspect of dress around the gun.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-27-2023 at 08:04 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Semper Paratus,

Steve

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    An oligarch’s BBQ gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    An oligarch’s BBQ gun.
    I’d carry it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Somewhere in the snub interview thread we have pics of a set of the hogue full backstrap centennial grips chopped to boot length. Makes for a similar feel to the Taurus grips but goes higher up the backstrap. Kinda like adding a limb saver rubber pad or the lost river leather & vet wrap treatment.

ETA: found it…https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....p-fix-em-upper
    Last edited by jandbj; 07-27-2023 at 10:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've been poking in and out of local shop's looking for a 43C or 640 Pro, yesterday I stumbled onto a nice 60-4 3" for $580, so far I'm resisting the temptation knowing that's when a deal on a 43 or 640 will pop up but...

If you have a Magna Classic, you might want to give this a peek:

https://www.proxibid.com/Smith-Wesso...ation/78206251

Of course their internet surcharge is brutal.

User Tag List