Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Smith and Wesson Sleeved Barrel Design swap

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Crow Hunter - What kind of holster are you using? A 4" barrelled revolver in an IWB or AIWB holster is easily and comfortably concealed. I've done it since the late 90s. It'd be way cheaper than re-barrelling or replacing your current gun, too.
    A 4" jmcustom aiwb is certainly doable but a 3" is much more comfortable

Just to close the loop on this, in case any one else was wondering in the future. I did contact Smith & Wesson. They said it could be done at the factory. It would cost around $300 but it would take close to 6 months. I am sure it is because any spare part they have is going to produce another revolver.

I think I will just look for a 2.75" while I mull around how to carry the 4" model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I don't remember if it was here or on some other gun forum but a correspondent posted that he had ask S&W about this with a later production, sleeved barrel model he owned. According to him they rather bluntly said, NO. Still it might be worth a phone call to ask.

Dave
    Can’t have people fixing those big B/C gaps.

I really hope that there’s substantial cost savings and performance enhancements, because permanent, non-replaceable barrels cuts out some of the more interesting gunsmithing available for our wheelieboys.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I carry 4" revolvers all day (because I want to) and I think:

1) Mexican carry will be/is less comfortable than what you'll see with a good IWB holster so maybe keep that in mind.
    2) I also dislike the 4.25" Canada compliant barrels
    3) OWB, the highest/tightest holsters I've found wheel gun wise (and my search has been a long one) are the Galco Combat Master (not long lasting, not worth the price), the Tucker HF3 (Hi, tight, looks very nice and about 130 bucks but additional leather thickness with the forward strap), and my current and probably forever favorite the Mernickle PS06DA. The "crossdraw slot in reality carries no cant straight up for me and slightly higher than the forward cant slot. About 85 bucks makes it a legit bang for the buck hi quality holster.
    My standard ever day shirt is a Carhartt T-shirt and they cover the gun, untucked button up shirts too, but not by a large margin.

I also carry at times a 2 1/2" gun OWB and it's easier of course to cover but I prefer the utility of 4" guns for general use.

I live where no one could care less about a visible gun and they are very common so you're concealment need may be far different from mine, I do work across the country and a 2 1/2" OWB is better in some states of course. IWB the 4" is no hindrence at 3-4 oclock and maybe even better, appendix 4" is more troublesome to me but still doable.

@JTMcC I have a Galco Fletch holster, and it rides higher than my Combat Master.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    @JTMcC I have a Galco Fletch holster, and it rides higher than my Combat Master.
    I believe you but the last thing I'm wanting in a belt mounted revolver holster is a thumb break, tho you might want and need that. And I'm aware that you can leave it unsnapped for normal activities and snap it for horseback use or whatever but I prefer proper holster retention without it. Diffrn't streaks for diffrn't freaks.

I'm completely worn out on Galco (years ago) because....they wear out, the fit becomes loose and are way overpriced for what you get. Many people love them but not me when I can buy better quality for less $$.

No disrespect for Galco folks (I'm just glad they carry a gun) but they don't work in my world.

I'll add as an aside/thread drift/side issue, when we get into "the highest ride" holsters there can be problems depending on shoulder, elbow, wrist mobility from previous injuries. And physical build (torso, arm length, etc). There, barrel length and the cut on the front of the holster really come into play but man o man the high & tight holsters can be handy as long as it's not hard to clear the barrel. Several thousand dry fire draws can really illuminate holster issues and tell us what we really need and want for our own use.

Eta: one hand "ease" of reholstering is a pretty big deal to me and that influences my holster likes a lot. I carry reloads on the right side and also want as much real estate for speedloaders there. Not a thing for some people but big to me.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 04-02-2021 at 01:46 PM.

User Tag List