Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Security Cabinets for Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Maybe you mentioned, but how old are the kids?
    One is 2 1/2 the other just turned 13. The 13yo lives with his mother most of the time. I live in a very low crime area and I’m honestly not worried about that aspect of it, although whatever I end up with will certainly be secured to the wall.

I considered a job box before making this thread, and probably would have gone that route if I had space to put it. A well made one is not easy to get into (we’ve had apprentices break off keys in the locks and it’s not fun trying to get it open). And it can be used to safely store ammo and whatnot when I eventually get a more legitimate safe. But again, no where to put it in the condo I rent.

If the SecureIt Agile 52 was about half the price I would go that route, but it honestly just seems way too expensive for what it is. I’m slightly anal about organizing, which makes that SecureIt very alluring.

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/fortr...et-623762.html

This seems to be the best price I’ve seen for that type of cabinet. I remember when Stack On cabinets were $100, now apparently they’re closer to $150.

I still like this

https://www.hornady.com/security/rap...ready-vault#!/

but I think that’s just because it’s more flashy and “fancy” haha I really don’t like to waste money, so I get very indecisive about this kind of thing, especially since the only one I’ve seen in person is the Hornady.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Given the dearth of 'real' safes and the commonality of 'security containers' particularly below the $2000 mark. I would lean towards finding a decent security container and outfitting it with a WiFi enabled monitoring system. Later you can upgrade the safe and keep the monitoring system.

WiFi/Bluetooth enabled smart monitoring is very easy to acquire these days. The security between a $400 safe and a $900 safe is about the same, if we're being honest. So why not buy a $400 container and spend 2-300 on a monitoring system that can give you real time feedback?

The proliferation of WiFi enabled cameras and motion sensors can allow you to build a layered system to monitor for a break-in and alert the police while it's happening. In those cases, you need the container to resist being broken into for as long as it takes the cops to show up (which should give a real sense of your security needs.
    I won’t put wifi cameras inside my house, I just can’t do it. I’ve read 1984 too many times, or seen too many videos of people hacking into them, I don’t know, just can’t bring myself to do it. But what about a wifi monitoring system? Do you have any kind of link? I’m assuming this means I would get an alert on my phone whenever the safe/security cabinet is opened?

“As long as it takes the cops to show up” I believe there’s now 2 town troopers and one (maybe 2) state troopers that I’ve only seen at night. If they show up they’re coming to take a report, not stop anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    I won’t put wifi cameras inside my house, I just can’t do it. I’ve read 1984 too many times, or seen too many videos of people hacking into them, I don’t know, just can’t bring myself to do it. But what about a wifi monitoring system? Do you have any kind of link? I’m assuming this means I would get an alert on my phone whenever the safe/security cabinet is opened?

“As long as it takes the cops to show up” I believe there’s now 2 town troopers and one (maybe 2) state troopers that I’ve only seen at night. If they show up they’re coming to take a report, not stop anything.
    Given the response time or non-response - Jobox with Abloy padlocks installed.

Liberty Safelert
    Lockdown Puck

Those are the two big ones.

Did you ever do something?
    I was just rereading this and wondered.
    Seems like just a few deck screws into a single stud would be plenty secure and make easy to patch holes for when you move. If you are in a condo nobody is going to go at it with powertools that make much noise.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I bought a cheap jobox style as an annex to my safe.
    It almost seems like a smaller one could be painted or decorated to fit in with room decor, not for like the living room, more for a substitute for the ottoman my dirty jeans are piled on. Mine is a bigger one and is in the basement but it has been making for a handy table. I wonder if an upholstery shop could make a simple cushion for it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    If it's small and low enough you can cover it with your favorite navajo blanket, grandma's nicest quilt, a velvet Elvis or "dogs playing poker", whatever suits you. Put a piece of glass on top if you want to set things on it. Some people will have fancier decorating tastes than us but that works.

User Tag List