Thread: Beretta PX4 .40 17 round mag issues

Beretta PX4 .40 17 round mag issues

Posted a while back about a problem I was having with 3 Beretta 17 round mags I bought from Beretta's website for PX4 .40 cal not taking full loads. After a little research, apparently the extended base plate had an issue with excessive flash which wouldn't allow the follower all the way down. Great. I figured out how to disassemble the mags (as I've previously mentioned this is my first firearm) and used my precious time and effort to fix Beretta's mistakes and shave the pertinent surfaces down. Now I could do a full load-out Awesome. Afterwards, during the process of fully stuffing the mags and then emptying them I've noticed another issue. When removing rounds, by hand obviously, after I push the top round out the following round will get stuck with the nose down and I have to bump down on the ass end to get it to pop into proper position for me to push it out of the magazine. Not being able to access a facility or area lately where I can safely/legally do practice shooting, I haven't actually done any shooting with these 17 round mags, but this seems like it might cause a problem with the feeding process. This does not occur when I am loading/unloading the two 14 round mags that came with the gun when I purchased it - they have been problem free.
    Is this something that occurs when manually unloading a magazine? Is it something I can invest more labor into to fix? I appreciate any info. I really like the ergonomics of the Berettas (I don't own a 92 yet, but I held one in a gun shop and it felt like it was married to my hand), but this is really disillusioning me as far as their QC.

Edit: If anyone responds, I just realized they're probably gonna ask, so the ammo in question is Remington, flat nose (target), full metal jacket.
    Last edited by newbie-noob; 03-26-2021 at 11:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie-noob View Post
    Posted a while back about a problem I was having with 3 Beretta 17 round mags I bought from Beretta's website for PX4 .40 cal not taking full loads. After a little research, apparently the extended base plate had an issue with excessive flash which wouldn't allow the follower all the way down. Great. I figured out how to disassemble the mags (as I've previously mentioned this is my first firearm) and used my precious time and effort to fix Beretta's mistakes and shave the pertinent surfaces down. Now I could do a full load-out Awesome. Afterwards, during the process of fully stuffing the mags and then emptying them I've noticed another issue. When removing rounds, by hand obviously, after I push the top round out the following round will get stuck with the nose down and I have to bump down on the ass end to get it to pop into proper position for me to push it out of the magazine. Not being able to access a facility or area lately where I can safely/legally do practice shooting, I haven't actually done any shooting with these 17 round mags, but this seems like it might cause a problem with the feeding process. This does not occur when I am loading/unloading the two 14 round mags that came with the gun when I purchased it - they have been problem free.
    Is this something that occurs when manually unloading a magazine? Is it something I can invest more labor into to fix? I appreciate any info. I really like the ergonomics of the Berettas (I don't own a 92 yet, but I held one in a gun shop and it felt like it was married to my hand), but this is really disillusioning me as far as their QC.

Edit: If anyone responds, I just realized they're probably gonna ask, so the ammo in question is Remington, flat nose (target), full metal jacket.
    Emptying rounds by hand from a mag is not indicative of how they will feed in the gun's cycle of operation.

Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry about that.

I have 9mm 1911 mags that do this consistently yet the pistol works without flaw.

I have a heavily worn 92 mag. The spring is so worn out that compared to a new mag spring it almost collapses with more than a few rounds on it. When dropped during a mag change during a drill or competition the rounds literally rotate upside down and stovepipe in the mag. Gun runs with this mag perfectly.

I have also had many PX4 variants over the years. The mag springs are intensely tight when new. It will take several cycles to work themselves in.

The Px4, FYI, is especially sensitive to slide velocity or more accurately "riding the slide" forward. When loading some folks like to resist the recoil spring and ride the slide into full battery. The PX4 really doesn't like this. Either sling shot or slide release is best.

I've never had an issue when running the PX4. It has some quirks, but when actually running the gun it is fantastic.

If you have questions about the viability of the PX4 platform, you may want to peruse Ernest Landgdon's projects with PX4.

Posted a while back about a problem I was having with 3 Beretta 17 round mags I bought from Beretta's website for PX4 .40 cal not taking full loads. After a little research, apparently the extended base plate had an issue with excessive flash which wouldn't allow the follower all the way down.
    Thank you for this tip. I have a 9mm 20 rounder that will not accept more than 18 rounds, and will not lock into the gun with the slide forward unless I download to 17. Sounds like I have the same problem with that magazine.

(If it's any comfort, I have yet to experience a issues with any of my 10 or so standard capacity magazines. Except for that one time a base plate came partially off one, but it hasn't done that again so I'm chalking that up to the loose nut behind the grip not assembling the magazine correctly after cleaning.)
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

.40 mags

...Is this something that occurs when manually unloading a magazine? Is it something I can invest more labor into to fix? I appreciate any info. I really like the ergonomics of the Berettas (I don't own a 92 yet, but I held one in a gun shop and it felt like it was married to my hand), but this is really disillusioning me as far as their QC....
    I have PX4s in different calibers and sizes. I have found that .40 caliber mags can have different attributes. I don't know if it is because the other calibers are pleated, but the .40 mags have idiosycracies. It also seems that the .40 mags have easier springing and are easier to load. I even tried brand new springs, no change. I mentioned this in this thread -> https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....orkhorse/page3 post 22.

What I have found is that there is never a problem during shooting. I do like to pack them back after loading. Though during unloading by hand the same lack of perkiness to pop up nose first (like other calibers) does happen occasionally, all of my mags have been tested and retested at the range and they work just fine. You mentioned giving them a tap or nudge. Recoil and slide cycling fast will do the same. It is probably the recoil and slight spring depression of the center bar of the slide that make it work.

Since the 14 rounders you have don't do it, I would suggest using them for any defensive assignment and waiting to test the 17 rounder. I think it will probably work just fine when shooting (as others mentioned). If not... Beretta has a great reputation for accepting return and replacing without hassle.

Appreciate the input.

Thanks to all for the replies. It addressed what I was wondering - and as HCM rather succinctly stated - during the firing cycle there's much greater speed and energy at play than when I'm pushing 'em out with my frail meat sticks. Guess I'll have to wait until I can do some practice firing, which should also help with breaking these magazines in. Also, to the respondent who mentioned "riding the slide", full disclosure, I had to google that term - and now I know some more terminology! Thanks again.

User Tag List